Newbie Biker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

stilletto_rebel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:04 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Newbie Biker Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm fed up of sitting in traffic jams and have decided to get myself a bike. I only want a little one as I'm new to biking and from what I've read here and elsewhere, the Honda CG125 sounds perfect. I don't know a lot about bikes, so I have a couple of questions to ask.

I have been looking around for a decent CG125 for a couple of weeks now. I know it's a four-stroke engine, but that doesn't mean much to me. I came across a Honda CB125 yesterday which is a two-stroke engine. What's the difference? I'm short and light, so I'm looking for a light bike that, like the CG125, has a top end of about 65mph. What's the difference between these, performance wise?

I've already gotten myself a crash helmet, but would I also need leathers for this type of bike? I don't want to look like a complete noob on this thing. If leathers aren't necessary, what would you guys suggest?

That's all, but if you guys have any other tips or suggestions I'm all ears.

Cheers! Smile

stilletto_rebel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the Protective Clothing thread, so that answers the question about leathers. I'll get gloves, jacket and boots, minimum.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Very Happy Welcome to the forum.

Well to answer your question about the differences in engine layouts etc between 2-strokes and 4-stroke engines we could go on all day about the mechanical aspects all day and bore you silly Very Happy Very basically a 2-stroke engine is less reliable, drinks 2-stroke oil, needs servicing more often but produces way more power than a similar sized 4-stroke engine.

The 4-stroke engine is more reliable, cheaper to run etc but will not have anywhere as near as much power.

So it's a personal choice based on what you need/want or if the budget is tight etc.

Hope this helps a little, any more questions then feel free.

Kris Very Happy

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, I would say go for the 4-stroke, as you are after 65mph and good reliability I suspect.

It'll be cheaper to run, more reliable and it won't make a horrible high pitched hairdryer noise Wink

As you said, jacket, gloves and boots should be ok on that bike.

Nice to see someone who does some research and reads other threads! Thumbs Up

stilletto_rebel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:08 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for that.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Basic difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke is that a 2 stroke makes power every time the piston travels down, on a 4 stroke it makes power evert other time the piston travels down.

The CB125 is a 4 stroke. However not sure which model of CB125 you are looking at. The newest ones would be around 15 years old I think. From the mid 70's to the late 80's Honda made the 2 cylinder CB125T, the later versions of which have an electric start. They also made the single cylinder CB125S.

The CB125S and the CG125 have quite similar engines (the CB125 has an over head cam to operate the valves and makes more power, while the CG125 uses pushrods to operate the valves and makes less power).

Any CB125S is now likely to be either almost a classic or a total wreck. There are not many of the CB125T models still around either.

For basic transport the CG125 is probably the best. Just watch out for the condition as they tend not to be looked after that well.

Honda have just launched the CBR125, on sale for a little over £2000 new. This is a sports styled 125 4 stroke. Quicker than a CG125, but far slower than any of the full power 2 stroke 125 bikes.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1