Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clutchless Gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Clutchless Gears Reply with quote

Is changing up gears, not using the clutch safe?

Its just that I did it today by accident and it seemed alright, just wondering if its safe is all!!

Craig G(Noggin)

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make a habbit of it, the clutch is there for a reason dude!
Thumbs Up

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the clutch is there for a reason, It would probably mash the gearbox?. However on cars you can change gear without the clutch at the right RPM perfectly, but don't know if that is all cars and if it applies to bikes Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be safe yeah, but i cant see it doing your clutch or gear box any good, the whole point of pulling your clutch in is so that it disconnects your engine from your gear box so that you can change gear easily, it all relies on friction, if you dont pull your clutch leaver in then there is way too much friction and you could end up burning your clutch out, very expensive and it smells disgusting whem it does burn out.

i've done it myself a few times as i'm sure everyone else has when you panic and change down a gear then realise after that you dint pull your leaver in lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard that some people on sport bikes do it, any help G?

Craig G(Noggin)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:24 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't do ANY harm to your gearbox in ANY WAY as long as its done properly. Clutchless changes are the fastest way to change gear while accelerating. Perceived wisdom is that you must always use the clutch for downchanges. Basically to do a clutchless upchange you must be accelerating hard in a gear. Put upward pressure on your gear lever with your toe as if you are going to change gear (and hold it until you have done the next part). Don't touch the clutch, and simply knock off the throttle and back on again in one short sharp motion. This should snick the lever up into the next gear. Now you must release pressure on the gearlever.

Simple eh? If you find that its clunking into gear, try being shorter and sharper with your throttle motion, or try starting from higher revs. On the whole it is proabably better not to use this method to change from first to second, because you need to be going some to make it work, and there is a longer distance between these gears.

HTH! Thumbs Up Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Changing gear without the clutch (at least changing up a gear) should not cause a problem. Yes it might give the gearbox a marginally harder life, but the difference is only marginal.

All the best

Keith

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, need to start practicing that, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Craig G(Noggin)

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was rather curious about that too
someone told me it can loosen some bolts on the clutch plates Confused
i don't know, either way, i only ever do it by accident Razz

think i might learn that technique myself for racing boy racers from a green light lol

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 00:54 - 24 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
for racing boy racers from a green light lol

I never clutch less shift from 1st to 2nd as it has to go through neutral and as such its a bit clunky.

2nd through to 6th though when moving at any spirited pace I don't use the clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:12 - 24 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I up'd without the clutch a few days ago by accident, and thought it changed very smooth, but thought that'll be something to avoid. I'm glad to hear that it is an accepted method, and will certainly be making practice of that, especially down the dual carriage-way Mr. Green

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practicing it, and it seems to workl fine, I just made sure that I haven't done it between 1st and 2nd, and all the other gears work brilliantly, cheers guys!

Craig G(Noggin)

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the gearbox + engine torque e.t.c. really..

After working out how to do it on my old cg i rarely used the clutch! (up the box) going down was a little more tricky kind of had to blip the throttle to go down couldn't be bothered as was too busy trying to make the brakes do something!
The cx (allot bigger and allot older) the trick won't work anywhere near as well and down changes forget it! up changes are not too bad but the revs have to be exactly right or it will go nowhere!

If yours seems to work then its nice to use this technique (its more or less expected by some advanced car examiners and possibly bikes) makes accelerating that little bit faster (or did on the cg).
But at the end of the day if your not sure clutch pads are ALLOT cheeper to replace than a gear box, messing it up could not only have you off the bike but will cost you allot of money to replace a mashed box (something like £500 for a cg gearbox :O )

**** one uuseful (sort of related) thing is to give the throttle a little blip when changing down the gears (when uusingthe clutch of course) this matches the engine speed closer to the speed the final drive/wheel is going and makes your bikes life a little easyer also reduces the risk of you loosing the rear through over enthusiastic change down, try practicing on a quiet road not when you coming up to a junction! Very Happy it also sounds cool when your doing it right Cool

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:21 - 25 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
The cx (allot bigger and allot older) the trick won't work anywhere near as well and down changes forget it! up changes are not too bad but the revs have to be exactly right or it will go nowhere!

Hi

Likely that the biggest difference with the CX is that it is shaft drive, so has stuff all slack in the transmission.

All the best

Keith

Dinga
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:55 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the clutch does in any engine is match the speed the wheels are going to the speed the engine is going, when you change without using the clutch (when you knock of the throttle and back on) it will slip in when the two speeds are matched. I do it in my car when driving home from work late at night, something to keep me amused.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

it is shaft drive, so has stuff all slack in the transmission.

Ahhhhhhh that makes sense! had never though of that Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1