Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Full power on provisional

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Full power on provisional Reply with quote

The first bike I am getting is a full power NSR. I was wondering if my insurance might be invalid because of this as they know I only have a provisional licence, but I also know many new bikers have full power bikes as their first. Any advice? Confused

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell them!!! (But I recommend that you get your test booked pretty soon)

Chances are they'll never ever strip the bike down to check if you do have an off anyway.

Play dumb - just don't say anything. What do you mean derestricted? This is my only ever bike - I'm only just learning to ride let alone take the thing apart!!! You get the general idea?

Congrats on the bike Thumbs Up

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will invalidate your license and your insurance if you are caught, been caught is a different story. If you have an accident and someone claims compensation against you with no insurance you will be living on the streets for a long time until it's paid off.

In law ignorance is no defence.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, maybe I should spend £30 to get it restricted to be on the safe side. Plus, when I do come to de-restrict it, I'll be able to feel the difference..

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difficult decision to make, especially if the bike's already derestricted. The first bike I bought was derestricted and I bought it from a dealer on L Plates. That was a while ago before these speed camera things and the Police at the time seemed to be a bit easier going on RT offenses than they are allowed to be now. If you can do it it's probably for the best, you'll rest easier knowing that you are 100% legal. It is also an incentive to get the test done and get it derestricted or get something bigger.

The best thing you can do is get the test out of the way and move up the ladder.

Good luck.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What dainese says is right - if you do get caught for riding the bike derestricted then you could face some real hassle.

However - it is not easy for them to tell if you have derestricted it, and I've not heard of one case where a bike has actually been checked for restrictions.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do decide to get the restrictions (and I think I will), where could I go to get them fitted?

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to start off would probably be to get in touch with a Honda garage and go from there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1