Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Joining The Police Force

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:20 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Joining The Police Force Reply with quote

Well, I'm waiting to be accepted into the "Police Cadets" a early training stage for the police (I want to go into the armed response unit) and i was wondering, is it worth de-restricting a Motorhispania RX50 or do you think it is risky? since I shouldn't be doing illegal stuff and all, I would appreciate an honest answer. As soon as i turn 17 I would restrict it again and put a 125cc in it, if thats possible? I don't know, But I sure will make it faster in an Legal way. Tips and Advise is much appreciated.
(P.S I'm 16)

Thankyou.

Steve

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:35 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not a good idea, and you won't be able to put a 125 engine in it.

Basically if you want to get technical, a 16 year old riding a 50 that is faster than 30mph is actually riding without a license. Riding without a license actually invalidates your insurance, so if they wanted to throw the book at you, then you would be done for riding without a license and without insurance.

Not a good start to your police career methinks! Smile

Oh and {OT} for a second, I'm not as much of an expert on this but I'm not sure that the police like it when you say you /want/ to go into the armed rsponse unit, because I think that they take it that you have an unhealthy interest in guns... Like I said, I'm not an expert but it is what I have heard. Oh and Karma to you for admitting wanting to join the police! Wink {OT}

Last edited by MarJay on 12:42 - 10 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Re: Joining The Police Force Reply with quote

v0dka wrote:
since I shouldn't be doing illegal stuff and all

Think this is quite ironic given your username is Vodka and you're only 16... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Belcher
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic offences such as speeding and having an unroadworthy bike are not taken into account on the police officers application forms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 12:03 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, shouldn't that say invalidates. Wink Laughing

I think it's ok to say you want to go into the armed response unit as long as you give a good reason, ie. not oo yea I want to shoot people and stuff.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:42 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are in the 16 - 18 age bracket hence the reason you are joining as a cadet.

Firstly, (speaking from experience as I was a cadet before I joined the regulars) any indiscretion that you get caught for, whether it be a minor motoring offence or more serious will give them the opportunity to dismiss you without redress. If it is a genuine error or mistake, then they may look at it in a slightly more favourable manner, but if it is blatant and you get caught out then you are out, it is as simple as that.

As far as specializing is concerned, you are looking at a number of years before you can do that. The fact that you are joining as a cadet is still no guarantee that you will be accepted for the regulars, and then you will have your basic training, two years probation and then after that you may be considered if you have a special talent, but usually it is a minimum of 5 years, and then you will have all sorts of tests and checks to see whether you are considered suitable for such a department, and then the training starts all over again and you could fail at any stage.

What force are you joining? Many forces have done away with their cadet force, so you are very lucky. I was in the cadets in the early 70's and I had a ball. Outward bound courses, community service (I did mine in Holland), loads of sport and the like, enjoy it, I had a wonderful two and a bit years.

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:11 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: k Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks for all your thoughts, I've decided I'm going to wait till I am 17, and get a 125cc Bike, any suggestions on which bike to get? (I am wanting to go on the motor way) Thankyou.

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:42 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

OK, alot of you may laugh at me, go ahead.. since i dont know anything about bikes, but i guess i gotta find out some time, right? Ok, Well i'm going to wait till i'm 17 but.. what bike should i get? (125cc) i want. Ok anyway. whats the best bike thats a 125cc for my needs and looks? Also.. do any 125cc support passengers? if you all could get back to me with models with (single riders) (and passengers) this would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

v0dka < note the name Mr. Green Middle Finger

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 22:09 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with a 125?
If you are waiting until you are 17 and are going to use motorways/carry passengers then I presume you are going to pass your test. You can then buy whatever bike you like, and a larger capacity 4 stroke bike is going to be a better choice for both taking pillions and motorway riding.

Last edited by Stew on 22:37 - 10 May 2004; edited 1 time in total

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:13 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey v0dka. I know that Honda NSR's take passengers, as shown in the zimandmike video Very Happy

But to be able to take passengers on a 125 you have to take a different bike test to your CBT i believe?

i'm sure others will have better answers than me. Just wanted to get some answers going Smile

Ben

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: =) Reply with quote

Thanks, always good to get any information i can, much appreciated, and how would i go about taking passengers? (age limit) (The Test) (Also the difficulty and money wise) Thankyou and much appreciated once again.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do your theory, then practical tests so your restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, but you also need insurance cover for other passengers on the bike (i believe this is true anyway, Danny should know)

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 23:36 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
but you also need insurance cover for other passengers on the bike (i believe this is true anyway, Danny should know)
Yep, you specify when buying insurance if you want to carry passengers (pillions), but don't worry it's not usually much more. Also just to clarify you can only carry pillions if you have passed your bike test.

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well, whats the age limit to carry pillions? and roughly how much more insurance? and when (age) can i take the test? and any more information would be useful I.E the difficulty.. also.. what did you mean by 33bhp? sorry.. but like i said i know nothing.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 15:25 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 17 you can do a restricted test which then means you can take pillions as it is classed as a full license I did this test at 18 and have a cbr600. It is fairly easy to do and means you have to have the bike you are on (if over 33 break horse power) to 33bhp. Break horse power is the power the engine of the bike makes.

laura

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 18:02 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the top speed / 0-60 of your restricted cbr600?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1