Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:59 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my bike to the garage to get the light that illuminates the speedometer replaced as it died whilst I was riding Sad

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:39 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
Took my bike to the garage to get the light that illuminates the speedometer replaced as it died whilst I was riding Sad

you couldn't do that yourself? would've taken all of 5 minutes Confused

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:

For free one would hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it to my brothers in the worst rain I have ever ridden in.

The clocks have fogged up so when I got back I have whipped them off and letting them dry out before I re seal them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:04 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oiled chain and did tyre pressures on the rsv.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: clocks Reply with quote

Find the small digits on the clocks difficult to see, have bought two very smart traditional clocks from ebay (China) for £4.75 each), fitted to the Himalayan and the Tracer, they are stylish, round and easy to see, pefect, if they don't stop or fall off that is.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I did some maintenance. The ''big single'' has quite a few years of neglect from the previous owner. I cleaned all the switches on the handlebars, no more sticking buttons/switches. The hi/lo beam button was sticking, so was the turn signal switch and the headlight switch wasn't quite working (all full of oxidation and water damage).

Then, I've got to lubricate the levers, side and central stands... and so on. I'm also going to replace the front fork seals and since I'm doing that I'm gonna replace the steering bearings as well.

TL; DR: Maintenance. Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer - Chain clean, tension and oil. Wiped the worst of the muck off of it. Poked smooth-ish diamond file into the fuse holder contacts and cleaned them up.

Work hack - Chain clean and oil. Wiped crud off it.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:52 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemplated cleaning it.

Covered it another layer of road debris, mud and road grime instead.

Maybe I'll clean it again come spring time.

Am I cured?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike gained a new "feature". Soon as I slow down for traffic, auto flashes the high beam at everything infront Laughing it is both bloody annoying and dangerous for cars to be aware of an approaching bike, so had to be quickly fixed! Unplugged high beam for the way home, checked over the loom and connections. Headlight relay had massive corrosion accross two terminals but cleaned up fine. All other connections and wiring fine. So much bloody rain these.last.months. Approaching 120k miles on clocks.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Am I cured?

Bodyguard or Borg?

Who are you and what cupboard have you locked Craig in?

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some cheap LED bulbs in the cbr clocks to replace the more expensive LEDs that blew over the last 12 months.

Got fed up guessing the mileage on the trip meter in the dark, which is needed to indicate remaining fuel. There's no fuel gauge.

Lesson learned? Tell you in a year's time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the front wheel off for tyre fitting tomorrow.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on the carby supertwin project. Got the motor adjusted properly on the mounts and cranked tight, reinstalled the rear primary header, made a quick brake line mount out of a dead VFR cable retainer, removed the rad and fitted the fan and water temp sender off the old rad, threw the loom at it and started planning out the component mounting in the tiny subframe as well as measuring it up for an ally undertray to mount said things on. Gave the carbs a clean and refitted them -sounds so simple, but fuckin ell those rubbers were hard Laughing- It's beginning to look more like a bike.

I've been trying to put off getting into turning the loom into a race loom but it's... er, well, looming.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it, sold my R1 last week and a 929 showed up. It has just shy of 40k miles on it which does sound like a lot until you see some of the 929s selling on Ebay with 70k+ miles on them.

Missed the Honda build quality, feels so well put together compared to the R1.

Not as fast nor as light as an R1 but seems the right choice for the majority of riding I do, which is commuting.

https://i.imgur.com/vzzvZSP.png

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Bought it, sold my R1 last week and a 929 showed up. It has just shy of 40k miles on it which does sound like a lot until you see some of the 929s selling on Ebay with 70k+ miles on them.

Not as fast nor as light as an R1 but seems the right choice for the majority of riding I do, which is commuting....

Swapping a R1 for a Fireblade to commute on - in December. I like your style!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine questions since I'm a 5PW owner,
B0ndy wrote:

In what way?

B0ndy wrote:
Not as fast nor as light as an R1 but seems the right choice for the majority of riding I do, which is commuting.

Why is the Fireblade a better commuter?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the pleasure of dealing with the CBF's binding rear brake, and so replaced the pads while I was in there.

See how long they last before they look as dirty as the old ones. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/0j9T7cMg/20191214-105131.jpg

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:14 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

In ~10,000 miles in roughly 10 months the 5PW didn't not let me down once mechanically, what has happened though is numerous sheared bolts , plastic fittings breaking. The honda just feels well put together and "tough", not focusing so much on weight saving rather on practicality. Obviously it's early days so difficult to say how it will perform but previous Hondas have never caused me any problems.

Of course very subjective.

Honda is preferable for commuting (for me atleast) in that big fairing, sport tourer riding position and most importantly it doesn't feel like it wants to go a million miles an hour all the time - happy just plodding along. Commuting five days a week sometimes I don't feel like hooning about and the 5PW never felt happy going non jail time speeds.

Cracking bike the 5PW though, how many miles have you put on yours ?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to nursing it round the North Circular from Shepherds Bush to my house.
Had to ride during daylight hours cos the lighting is a bit duff (to say the least).

Made a spur of the moment decision to stop at a custom bike shop in Hanger Lane that I used to frequent, a bit of an intrepid move as the owner and I haven't really spoken for 8 or 9 years.

So I got a gruff look and he tried to give me The Speech.
But being the stubborn mare I am, I just ignored that and asked him to glance at my bike.
Told him I can't afford him but that I needed the opinion of someone I trusted.

Rode home, slightly happier.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Had the pleasure of dealing with the CBF's binding rear brake, and so replaced the pads while I was in there.

See how long they last before they look as dirty as the old ones. Laughing

Is it me or does that old brake backing plate looked warped?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Perspective. The right hand side has an overhang, and associated shadow, that makes you think it's warped.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
In ~10,000 miles in roughly 10 months the 5PW didn't not let me down once mechanically, what has happened though is numerous sheared bolts , plastic fittings breaking. The honda just feels well put together and "tough", not focusing so much on weight saving rather on practicality. Obviously it's early days so difficult to say how it will perform but previous Hondas have never caused me any problems.

I haven't had the same issues but the ABS fairings do feel fragile compared to my ZX6R's fibreglass ones. The finish is generally more prone to scratches too.
B0ndy wrote:
Honda is preferable for commuting (for me at least) in that big fairing, sport tourer riding position and most importantly it doesn't feel like it wants to go a million miles an hour all the time - happy just plodding along. Commuting five days a week sometimes I don't feel like hooning about and the 5PW never felt happy going non jail time speeds.

I get that. Certainly in Winter the Kawasaki's bigger fairing, higher bars and pegs, and softer suspension works better.
B0ndy wrote:
Cracking bike the 5PW though, how many miles have you put on yours ?

It is. I bought mine through eBay with 3k on the clock and it now has just over 30k. It did have a long layoff with a weird charging system fault which made it lurch at low speeds but I'm happy with it. Owning two bikes to compare and contrast is interesting though.

Enjoy the 929. A mate had one and absolutely loved it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

As above, but also the amount of dirt that is on the old one.

The old one isn't designed to go in like that, and had some stupid paper piece and then a metal shield that went on the back (that made getting them in a pain in the arse). Just put the new ones in as is with copper grease on the back otherwise they'd never fit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 356 of 409