Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Biker and info on Suzuki RF600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

akronos
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:43 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: New Biker and info on Suzuki RF600 Reply with quote

I found very close to where I live a suzuki Rf600 very well maintained with 45k miles at 700€. But many have told me that it is an extremely fuel-hungry bike. Can you confirm that you are staying away from it? I would use it to go to work and I drive on the expressway with 90 km/h limit.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So approximately 55 mph? Can't see a 600 guzzling fuel at that velocity.

akronos
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:38 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my old 1992 cbr f2 I could easily do 20 km/l. I was told that the RF600 consumes much more than any other 600. This is strange to me too

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried comparing the official figure to other 600's of the same age. should give you a some idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:40 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about looking on Fuelly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: New Biker and info on Suzuki RF600 Reply with quote

akronos wrote:
But many have told me that it is an extremely fuel-hungry bike.

How many? How many BCF views would persuade you otherwise?

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, no bikes are fuel hungry enough to really worry about, definitely not an old 600cc hack. 40mpg easily unless you start to wring it's neck.

Those bikes are bulletproof, I know the 900 has an occasional issue with alternator couplers (may not be present on the 600) but they'll run forever mostly.

My mates got the 900, it's literally covered in moss and lichen, the choke cable has no lever, there's bits of bodywork missing and to see it you'd think "No way that's being used" but he still rides it regularly and it's yet to go wrong in any major way or fail an MOT.

I'd snatch that up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/rf600/1993/#specs

Folk seen to get around 45mpg 16km/l but at 55 you'll do better than that.

Buy it - the money saved you can spend on fuel.. where are you anyway with you metric distances?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always looked on them as a poor mans Kwack ZZR. Saying that I know of no issues that stand out with either the 600 or 900.

Still father have the ZZR though. Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:
Mate, no bikes are fuel hungry enough to really worry about

My 28-30mpg would be somewhat at odds with that statement. Laughing On the plus side I'm building up my nectar points quickly.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:42 - 03 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
megaross wrote:
Mate, no bikes are fuel hungry enough to really worry about

My 28-30mpg would be somewhat at odds with that statement. Laughing On the plus side I'm building up my nectar points quickly.

That's not that bad, I've never had a car do better than that but admittedly I've never bought anything remotely modern so maybe my idea of good mpg is skewed.

Only time I'd start to think about mpg is when you're getting into 20mog territory. Petrol is 70p a litre still in my brain, it makes it easier to fill up and not care (then later wonder why I'm always skint before payday) that way.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 03 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:

That's not that bad, I've never had a car do better than that but admittedly I've never bought anything remotely modern so maybe my idea of good mpg is skewed.

Only time I'd start to think about mpg is when you're getting into 20mog territory. Petrol is 70p a litre still in my brain, it makes it easier to fill up and not care (then later wonder why I'm always skint before payday) that way.

It is interesteing.. years ago anything over 30 was good (not that I cared then with company fuel), now I'm paying for it 45 is my aim for the car, and coincidentally is about what I get from my Yams. I ran a 2.0 litre TwinSpark Alfa a few ago and was aghast to ony get 30.. expectations do change.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 03 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO, I was lucky to get 20mph when I had a Golf GTI Smile

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:17 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
megaross wrote:

It is interesteing.. years ago anything over 30 was good (not that I cared then with company fuel), now I'm paying for it 45 is my aim for the car, and coincidentally is about what I get from my Yams. I ran a 2.0 litre TwinSpark Alfa a few ago and was aghast to ony get 30.. expectations do change.

I suppose so, my last car did 16-20mpg and I considered that thirsty.

But I've had shitboxes that do 25-30 round town and maybe high 30's on the motorway with a tailwind and I'm totally happy with that. I'd sooner pay more for petrol than drive a modern car though, dreadful soul numbing things.

A bike? I'd never even consider it.

Probably one of the few great benefits to a motorcycle is having something performant without getting 10mpg every time you give it a thrashing - it's simply never bad enough on a bike to become a factor. That's my thinking.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:

A bike? I'd never even consider it.

Probably one of the few great benefits to a motorcycle is having something performant without getting 10mpg every time you give it a thrashing - it's simply never bad enough on a bike to become a factor. That's my thinking.

Well quite - the Alfa thing was coming from a diesel - I was 'used' to getting decent MPG.. acquired expections you see. On a bike that I do about 1000 miles a year on - not an issue.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an RX8 that munched fuel like nobody's business. A lovely car but you should never buy one.

I'm just happy to now have a bike with a fuel gauge.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:40 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I had an RX8 that munched fuel like nobody's business. A lovely car but you should never buy one.

I'm just happy to now have a bike with a fuel gauge.

There's a masochist that lives within me who wants one.

"It'll break, it'll break and drink fuel and you'll cry"

"Spinny dorito though"

"Dude. Come on"

You seen the modern 2 stroke concert mazda did? I'd actually love to see that in a car, preferably one with "Piss off Greta" emblazoned on the side as standard Very Happy
cafebikerpro This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 600RF when I passed my test 12 years ago. Absolutely loved that bike. I was a proper head turner until you walked round the back and saw it's big fat ass. lol.

I used to get 45mpg easy and that wasn't slow riding. I think because it's got a steel frame it's quite a bit heavier than it's competitors so it gets kicked around a little in the specs. Also, pegs are really high so not easy on the knees.

Fun bike though. Always fancied the 900 but never got round to owning one (yet Smile)
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1