Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance is a piss take.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Insurance is a piss take. Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a car soon. i have looked at insurance quotes and it is a TOTAL piss take. 2500 TPO on a 1.2 fiesta? WTF this is silly.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 01:13 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a legal con at the end of the day Wink

Was paying £1500 on a 1.1 Fiat punto TPFT Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go named driver on a parents' policy. My brother did this until he was 21, and I'm doing it on a 1.1 Punto for £250 a year, TPFT.

You will be able to drop that price a bit though.

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 17. how should i be expected to pay in excess of 2 grand to insure a crate worth less than 500. THIRD PARTY ONLY. it takes the complete piss loL.

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Trader wrote:
I'm 17. how should i be expected to pay in excess of 2 grand to insure a crate worth less than 500. THIRD PARTY ONLY. it takes the complete piss loL.

Third party doesn't over your 'crate' for damage. It covers the 50K motor you crash into Wink

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person that drives in my house is my nan. everyone else bikes or nothing. she doesnt trust the idea. trust me i tried this. she has 11yrs straight no claim and intends to keep it. it is good for her loL she pays 120 a yr fully comp on a 1.6 honda civic aerodeck VTEC

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say but the insurance bubble burst about 15yrs ago when the group ratings change before it was 1-7 or something now it's 1-20 or something.
Apparently most accidents involve drivers under 20/25 so insurance companies protect themselves from the barrage of shareholders by more or less banning young, inexperienced drivers. By doing so they decrease their exposure to the risk of paying out on a fatal/serious RTA.
I don't know where a young driver is to get experience tho unless from joyriding stolen cars. They do not normaly need ins for that.

But everyone pays more as cost of claims set the cost of premiums. Cash flow they need to get money in to paay money out. So if you are in the risk group you pay for your peers carelessness or your own. (And share holder dividends.)

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was being robbed paying £202 in a 2004 Seat Ibiza Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:22 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A (legal) trick you may want to try when getting quotes is to put your nan down as a named driver. She doesn't ever have to drive the car but just having an experienced/old driver on the policy will drop the price by a long way for young'uns.

Try it, on that sort of quote you should see a good few hundred quid saving.

jinxy88
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or start a new policy with your nan "fronting" the insurance. That means she takes out a new policy in her name as main driver/you named starting on 0 NCB which is going to cost more without NCB, but she doenst loose NCB if you claim as its a different policy.

But by saying your nan is the main driver i.e. she drives is more than 51% of the time you are potentially frauding the insurance company and when they find out she has a car of her own Im sure they will have a few words if you come to claim as they try and wriggle out of totally legit claims.

I wouldn't bother, I have wasted ££££'s on insurance as I have been on my own policy since I was 17; get a bike and save all the money!

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Liverpool-Victoria.co.uk

I am insured with them. 19 years old. 0 NCB. Insured fully comp on a 1.4 Rover 214i for £1089 with breakdown recovery.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Trader wrote:
on a 1.6 honda civic aerodeck VTEC

Not that it matters, but the Aerodeck is a 1.8 (B18C4)

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:15 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:
Soul_Trader wrote:
on a 1.6 honda civic aerodeck VTEC

Not that it matters, but the Aerodeck is a 1.8 (B18C4)

You can get the Aerodeck in 1.6 LS/ES aswell as 1.8 VTi form. Just the small matter of 5 insurance groups difference.

jinxy88
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash t wrote:
Try Liverpool-Victoria.co.uk

I am insured with them. 19 years old. 0 NCB. Insured fully comp on a 1.4 Rover 214i for £1089 with breakdown recovery.

2nd that, was "cheapest" for me at 17 - £1400 on a 1.4 Golf! £1 for every cc! Rolling Eyes

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an insurance quote from n.ireland! Rediculously expensive!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:42 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 17, you're stupidly high risk.

Get your car licence if you don't have it already, its always good to have held that for as long as possible.

Don't go as a named driver on someone else's policy if you are the main driver in reality. Either bite the bullet and pay lots, or wait until you're a bit older.

It is a good plan to put one or more low risk drivers on as named drivers, adding my mum my onto my policy knocked off about 30% and I'm 21.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is the probably the biggest factor in insurance. A 21 with 0 claim will be cheaper than a 19 year old with 2 years no claim. I'd go for a small micra, as they're the lowest group cars (off the top of my head)

Also, if you have a bike, do more miles on the bike than car, and lower the anual milage for the car. Check prices for all levels of cover, as sometimes, fully comp is cheaper than TPO (I don't know why).

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is so high because of;

1) So many people drive without it so when one of these eejits hits you then the costs are high, they have to recover the money from us all Twisted Evil

2) Insurers got wise to kids being insured on their mums/dads cars on the cheap so they closed the loophole.

3) Kids in cars are likely to be full of adrenalin, showing off and twatting other peoples cars / property etc.

4) EXPERIENCE, your lacking it as a new driver, just because you have passed your test doesn't mean you can drive!!!!
The pass cetificate simply means that on THAT particular day your driving was at the standard where the examiner felt you were competent enough to drive unsupervised, its after that when you learn to drive.

5) COMPENSATION CLAIMS have caused the biggest % hike in insurance for cars with a whiplash claim going in on 90% of Inj RTA's........each of those claims is worth £3000 minimum so go figure out why your insurance is sky high. Neutral

Just remember, accidents don't JUST HAPPEN, they are a sequence of events generally caused by lack of awareness and poor judgement.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmo Paul wrote:

You can get the Aerodeck in 1.6 LS/ES aswell as 1.8 VTi form. Just the small matter of 5 insurance groups difference.

But he's referring to the VTEC model, not VTEC-e or D16 non-VTEC

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a bitch aint it. Im 18 so am in the same position as you.

If you want cheaper insurance, get insured on your mums policy. This will be about £600 FC on a £3-£4k car. Not too bad.

A company (direct line I think) are now offering nominated drivers NCB too. This seems a very good option, as it will be cheaper and be getting young drivers NCB.

And most importantly SHOP AROUND. So much can be saved. And get a old Top Gear magazine to check insurance groups. I will cry my self to sleep tonight as I can't get insured on a 2.0L Crying or Very sad

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb-zxr wrote:
A company (direct line I think) are now offering nominated drivers NCB too. This seems a very good option, as it will be cheaper and be getting young drivers NCB.

Yeah, as it's a NCB that no other insurer will accept. Good way to trap customers.

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:46 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
kb-zxr wrote:

Yeah, as it's a NCB that no other insurer will accept. Good way to trap customers.

Is it? Sod that then, as they are probably expensive anyway (and might not even give the same discount as a regular NCB)

Its true then. You don't get something for nothing. When it comes to insurance you get very little for a huge amount of cash Thumbs Down

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 02 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for the 10 month bonus accelerator schemes. Fine if you stick with the same company but if you move the reply is "well you only have 10 months and not a year so it doesn't count.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:

5) COMPENSATION CLAIMS have caused the biggest % hike in insurance for cars with a whiplash claim going in on 90% of Inj RTA's........each of those claims is worth £3000 minimum so go figure out why your insurance is sky high. :.

£3000 for whiplash? Shocked

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:51 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me insurance on a fiesta wd be £900, yet insurance on an rs125, yp250 and tt600 combined is only £240 and that includes breakdown cover

insurance on an r1 for me wd be £500

its gonna be difficult for me to ever justify getting a car
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1