Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ebay help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: ebay help please Reply with quote

Simple question.

I never know which option to go for;

Starting Price?

or

Reserve?

I think using the reserve option cost some pennies, not sure if its fixed or a %?

Which is the better way to sell things?

BTW im hoping for a sale price of about £6000 for a car.

Thanks Smile
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:31 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: ebay help please Reply with quote

Personally I don't like reserve auctions.

They mean that I can bid on something, be the highest bidder and still not win, wasting everyone's time if it's a vehicle as I'll have asked a load of questions about it, etc.

So, I may even not bid.

If you are confident people will bid, you can sometimes get more interest by starting at a lower price and getting a friend to put a first bid on of what you conisder your lowest selling price.
However if it doesn't reach this, then it causes more complications.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:10 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to put a reserve on, tell them what the reserve is..then they know what to bid.

Otherwise use no reserve and a low start price which tends too generate more interest and gets people bidding.

High start prices put me right off as do reserves as I dont know what to bid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
If you want to put a reserve on, tell them what the reserve is..then they know what to bid.

Otherwise use no reserve and a low start price which tends too generate more interest and gets people bidding.

High start prices put me right off as do reserves as I dont know what to bid.

basically as said

what you have to think is, how would i bid, would i like that,so sell the way you would think you would like to bid.

as well you know you are not going to get what its worth as a private sale

For starters, if the reserve is say 800, and the bidding is at 795, nobody knows the reserve so bidders will think, bugga that, he must be wanting atleast a grand for it, not knowing that another fiver will bag it, i have been on ebay for the last 5 years and have noticed some changes in bidding habbits, people use to bid up near to the price more or less straight away, now its either automated bidding at the last seconds or they leave it till the last minute if bidding themselves, but now a lot of people are starting to just put a max bid in to the value they want to pay

so my advice is have a good look at any cars or whatever is been sold, and see what they fetch, then decide as to wether or not it will be worth the effort and cost of putting it on ebay, if they fetch a good price then either tell the reserve, or start it at below bargain price and see how it goes, the problem is the last minute bidding scenario scares a lot of sellers, as they think its not going to sell so they remove it before the 12 hour deadline.

Watch the same items and see how they do first, even if its a year or two younger than yours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Smile

I'll wait till tommorow. I think Sundays a better day as most people are at home in the evenings.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know it costs £24.00 to list a car on ebay?

Maybe a reserve is good if it's over a certain price like £1k as i think it's only £2.50 not sure, Go for it Thumbs Up

Also say that the car is being advertised elswhere & you have the right to withdraw at anytime.

Knowlsey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:10 - 04 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
You do know it costs £24.00 to list a car on ebay?

Maybe a reserve is good if it's over a certain price like £1k as i think it's only £2.50 not sure, Go for it Thumbs Up

Also say that the car is being advertised elswhere & you have the right to withdraw at anytime.

i thought it was 21,,, 15 sell and 6 list, has it gone up again, greedy gets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1