BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Ignorance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 18:53 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: My Ignorance Reply with quote

Ok maybe i,m just being lazy but i was just watching Clarkson doing his lap at the Nuremberg ,
just some questions that i,m sure many of you know the answers too.
1. was the Nuremberg a F1 track? i know it is now public road but had it used to be a in season F1 racing track?
2. what was the average time of a F1 car during qualifying and during race conditions.(only if it was a race track of course)
3. what is the lap record for a normal car, a race car, a normal bike, a race bike.

Now dont say you have nothing to do on a Sunday night when you really want to start searching for some of those answers Wink

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nurburgring was used in F1 & bike gps but was eventually deemed too dangerous. Not to sure of the dates exactly, but I would take a guess at the late 70's, early 80's. I think the bikes stopped first, then the cars after nikki lauda's crash.

I dunno all the records, but Clay Regazoni posted the fastest ever Formula One race lap in the 1975 Grand Prix at 7 minutes 5 seconds,
Helmut Dahne holds the bike record of 7mins 48 seconds,
and the current production car lap record held by a Radical SR3 Turbo in 6mins 55.

you might enjoy the following video from Top Gear...
https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5546118609957365052&q=top+gear

Last edited by owdamer on 20:11 - 05 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few variants of the Nurburgring track also I think.

There is the long version, which is an 8 minute lap, and there is a shorter track which is something like a 3 minute lap.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash t wrote:
There are a few variants of the Nurburgring track also I think.

There is the long version, which is an 8 minute lap, and there is a shorter track which is something like a 3 minute lap.

The 3 minute lap is a purpose built short circuit.
It was opened in 1984 and doesn't actually use any of the old road circuit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Nurburgring_map.jpg/421px-Nurburgring_map.jpg

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been there on there bike? Or thought about it

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been, quite a good laugh, full of Germans and Brits.

It's classed as a public road, you are supposed to overtake on the left, there are speed limits on certain sections (not that anyone takes notice of them), and you can be done for dangerous driving on it. When I was there a section actually had road-works on it.

The surface is definitely race track quality, with the exception of the carosel's.

It isn't really a public road though, you wouldn't be using it to pop down the shops put it that way.

Btw just to clear this up, 'Nuremburg' is a town/city far away from the village of 'Nurburg', which is where the 'Nurburgring' is set around. Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:28 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt your inusrance company would class it as a public road and i dont think they cover damage done on a track. They would have to be lied to.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:32 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a grey area Colin. I think it can depend on the company. It's known that breakdown recovery companies class it like an area 51.

When I went Mike managed to crash across the road in the campsite - would have made for an interesting call to the Rac if he'd broken anything Laughing

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:36 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody can answer the questions about the lap times then?

Quote:
Btw just to clear this up, 'Nuremburg' is a town/city far away from the village of 'Nurburg', which is where the 'Nurburgring' is set around.

My bad maurice Embarassed thanks for bringing it to my attention.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
So nobody can answer the questions about the lap times then?

Quote:
Btw just to clear this up, 'Nuremburg' is a town/city far away from the village of 'Nurburg', which is where the 'Nurburgring' is set around.

My bad maurice Embarassed thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Whats a normal car?? If you watched the video link then you would see a woman got a tranny van round in just over 10 mins after Jeremy Clarkson did a 9min 59 in a Jag.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a normal car i mean a car not made for racing. yes i did see her do it in a transit(btw they was different shows, she actually did it in the Jaguar diesel in 9mins 12 secs in the same show as Clarkson )but i was just wondering what a average Joe could do in a normal car, not a race prepped car, same as with a normal biker on a standard road going bike.

their must be some figures showing these times

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:51 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson doing a lap at Nuremberg. I think that needs some sort of Photoshop!

https://www.rotten.com/library/history/nazi/nuremberg/nuremberg4-defendants.gif

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgm/MGMimages/clarkson.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a load of searching this is the best I can come up with.

Formula 1:
Clay Regazzoni (Ferrari)
7:06.4 (192.8 km/h) in the GP of Germany 1975

Sports car:
Derek Bell / Stefan Bellof (Porsche 956)
6:25.91 (194.33 km/h) in the 1000-km race 1983

Motorcycles:
Marco Lucchinelli (Suzuki 500 ccm)
8:22.2 (163.6 km/h) beim in the GP of Germany 1980

I think they keep the lap times a quiet to try to discourage people from killing themselves trying to beat it....

I think you can safely say an average joe in his average sallon car is going to be a couple of minute behind.

Munday
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went last September and it was great! You are not supposed to time your laps but we went round in 8mins 53secs in a Renault Clio (and we were being held up by M3's, R32's etc) lol Smile

We were there the same time as the Gumballers and they were out on the track at the same time as us too which was good as I remember overtaking a Ferrari 360 and he wasn't happy!

Its not all about how fast your car/bike is, its about carrying the speed through the corners and knowing the track. Some of my fastest laps were in a diesel!

If you go you will love it but it can be quite costly driving over there/hotels/fuel bills etc. And the last thing you want to do is have a crash! They charge you for damaged amrco and silly amounts whilst the track is closed after they are clearing away your debris!

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as i know the FULL nurbergring includes the area used for the GP races, which is probably off limits to the public.

So in order to do a FULL lap you would have to go round the GP track bit aswell as the rest. the GP bit has been remodeled a fair bit over the years so the full track is no longer the same, so those old records will stand forever as the old track no longer exists.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
I think they keep the lap times a quiet to try to discourage people from killing themselves trying to beat it....

Munday wrote:
You are not supposed to time your laps

Yep, they've also banned people from videoing laps now too (for the same reason).

Loads of information here: https://www.nurburgring.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 05 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should modify it slightly and change it from a public road, it's a bloody deathtrap. They actually allow buses to tour around it! If I want to go on a track, I want it to be exclusively track, so I don't get caught up behind some Californian wankers on a tour! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1