59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
No way
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 22

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Would you say I do? Reply with quote

Nearly 2 years ago I got myself a job as a nurse working in the 3rd best hospital in the States Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

It has taken a while to register to work in California, sending post backwards and forwards across the pond, then I had to pass(second time around) the entry exam.

I filed paper work for my Green card in the autumn, but the lawyers have contacted my Agent and said they would not be able to offer my GF a Green card as we are not married Thumbs Down

As I'm not prepared to break up (and leave my 2 year old behind) just for a job.

In order to qualify under my Green card, we could get married Embarassed

We have been together for 12 1/2 years, why get married now?

I am not really that happy to get married just as a means of getting the Green card.

Would anyone get married for a job?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why haven't you married her in the past?

I would say this is a very personal thing depending on your feelings of marriage.

It's something you both need to discuss together, if she's ok with it, and you are, then you can go for it obviously Smile

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt just a job though its a whole new life isnt it ? your question is really "would you get married to realise your dream of living and working abroad" , in that case, yes , I would, in the circumstances you describe. Good luck

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:03 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above by QoS, for the right move, it's a lifestyle choice, not a just a job. However, FWIW California divorce law means a 50/50 split if it doesn't work out Wink

Best of luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it mate. If you have been together for 12 years then why not. You could get married and have the reception as a huge leaving party too. Then youre off for a new life.
have you discussed it with mrs whosthedaddy ?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation, yes. Why not? You've been together long enough. Do you not like the concept of marriage or something?

Talk it out with her, if she wants to get married to you, go for the full she-bang, if she isn't worried but wants to stay over there, have a civil ceremony and go on like normal! Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I cant really remember the reason for not getting married Embarassed

I dont see how marriage changes anything? I understand it offers security for my loved one and son etc, but to me its just a piece of paper Confused

My GF is gagging for it, and has caused many arguments along the lines of 'why dont you love me....', 'why wont you show me any commitment?'. We've been together for such a long time, what more shows commitment?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin ice then. Laughing

If you jump straight in now, she'll think you're only doing it because of the Green card. If you don't, she'll get booted.

I'd say talk it out, tell her it doesn't mean much to you, but if it helps you keep the life you have and gives her some security, you'll happily do it.

That's if you want to. Razz

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:34 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you shd do it so you can take her to america however be careful in what reasons you give to her for getting married.

For example. I knew a guy who was very well paid and is gf wasnt, he paid a lot less tax by marrying her as income tax when married works on your combined income rather than individual incomes.

I mentioned this to another guy in a similar position and he then proposed to his girlfriend explaining why. If he hadnt explained why, she may well have said yes but she wanted someone to marry her because they loved her and wanted to be with her forever. To be told to marry someone as a tax break was a big insult to her and she left him.

So when suggesting to your girlfriend you wanna get married, stress the romantic aspect aswell as the obvious practical reason.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
...I dont see how marriage changes anything? I understand it offers security for my loved one and son etc, but to me its just a piece of paper....

Marriage does offer legal protection should you or your partner die - it clarifies who any pension, insurance, etc. goes to. It also clarifies who'll be guardian and responsible for any children.

There is no such thing (in law) as common law marriage. People who have assumed this have been caught out when their partner dies. It can cause a lot of grief, especially if children/step-children are involved.

To prevent that and still not get married you can go to a solicitor and for about an hour of their time (so that's £100 tp £150 then) get a piece of paper stating your relationship (I forget the actual legal words). Then that's ok should the worst happen.

FWIW I think long term relationships are more common know, especially as the government has done away with any meaningful tax and other incentives for getting married (you can be taxed seperate if both working, there's no "married man's" tax allowance, etc.). It's a shame this fact isn't being recognised, but then again the law is always lagging behind society.

Anyhow, either way, looks like you're better off with a piece of paper. Whether it's got marriage certificate on it is your choice.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 years? Feh. I've spent longer than that waiting outside shoe shops... Rolling Eyes

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
12 years? Feh. I've spent longer than that waiting outside shoe shops... Rolling Eyes

Not found the door then?

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Not found the door then?

That, old son, is why you're not married.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, 2 year old kiddy, have been with the GF for 12.5 years. Why not get dressed up, make her dreams come true, make your work dreams come true. Sign a peice of paper and have a weeks honeymoon and a whole load of sex?

Look, you are pretty much a married couple anyway. It seems that if you are not willing to give the marraige thing a go then it would seem you are wanting to split up some time in the future and as such if you say you wont marry her much more as there is no point she will become pissed off and dissapear elsewhere!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1