Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PCMCIA storage emulation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:23 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: PCMCIA storage emulation Reply with quote

Ok tbh I dont expect may suggestions on this but Im scraping the barrel now and hoping one of you has a nugget which may be of some use to me.

I have a system which isn't a standard sort of system as in pc etc. This system uses a reader which takes a pcmcia storage card 128meg for example and simply reads data from it.

Now to have such an unsecure way of storing the data (a pcmcia card) isn't viable so I need to come up with some secure way of doing this, and at the moment the thought is along the line of a laptop.

Storing the data on the laptop and connecting the laptop to the pcmcia card reader by the like of a usb cable and a pcmcia->usb card.

Now the question is how/is it possible to have it so when the laptop is connected to the pcmcia card reader all the reader sees is an area on the laptops harddrive assigned as the "storage area".

So what im really asking I guess is does anyone have any idea how I would emulate a PCMCIA storage card using a PCMCIA to USB card and a usb cable connecting to a laptop?

There you go, get your thinking caps on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... you want to turn a laptop into a USB hard drive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.timfanelli.com/images/no_idea.jpg
Sorry.

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MSDN Windows Mobile SDK has something like what you're after. If you secure the PPC with PIN/biometrics would that do for what you want???

Start here

PPC is a breeze to program for so you could prolly write your own app with added role based security???

A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
So ... you want to turn a laptop into a USB hard drive?

To but it in nice easy terms I guess so. Laughing

ali-b wrote:
If you secure the PPC with PIN/biometrics would that do for what you want???

The problem from that way is the other device (not the laptop) isn't windows based and tbh to change the code on it will cost millions (literally in this case!) - thats if Im understanding what your saying correctly.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for carrying on with your PCMCIA card system as you currently have it, but just encrypt the data before you store it.

That way it's secure, and you don't have to bugger about with a new set of hardware...

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
I'd go for carrying on with your PCMCIA card system as you currently have it, but just encrypt the data before you store it.

That way it's secure, and you don't have to bugger about with a new set of hardware...

unfortunatly not possible. How can you encrypt a pcmcia card without using a laptop or the like to decyfer the info on the card when you want it back?

And leaving the data unsecure is not a possibility as the last thing you want a crew man to do before he plumets to his death is to put a 9mm round through a pcmcia card. Just can't trust him to do that in that situation. Laughing

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:17 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
The problem from that way is the other device (not the laptop) isn't windows based and tbh to change the code on it will cost millions (literally in this case!) - thats if Im understanding what your saying correctly.

The Pocket PC (PPC), according to the SDK, can be used to emulate the storage card. So you'd be substituting the laptop in your setup for the PPC. I've not found a decent way to do the same thing using a laptop yet, but would suspect it would involve a lot more coding. No coding should be required on the other device (what is it?) for the PPC solution to work.

A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:17 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
How can you encrypt a pcmcia card without using a laptop

Encrypt it before it gets to the PCMCIA card. Alter the system that writes the data.

Why do you think that a laptop hard drive is any more secure than a PCMCIA card?

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:25 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Encrypt it before it gets to the PCMCIA card. Alter the system that writes the data.

That bits easy, as in encrypting before it gets to the other system, unfortunately changing the other system is just not feasible. It will cost millions and I mean millions as the company is a bag of shite. Not naming any names here but basically they are fleecing our MOD for a change.

Suzuki wrote:

Why do you think that a laptop hard drive is any more secure than a PCMCIA card?

The likes of FLAGSTONE enhanced hard drives are CESG approved secure, hardware encrypted and meet the standards required. There is nothing pcmcia based that get close.

ali-b wrote:
The Pocket PC (PPC), according to the SDK, can be used to emulate the storage card. So you'd be substituting the laptop in your setup for the PPC. I've not found a decent way to do the same thing using a laptop yet, but would suspect it would involve a lot more coding. No coding should be required on the other device (what is it?) for the PPC solution to work.

Unfortunately a PCC couldn't be used in this situation, its going to be a tablet pc or nothing and we basically end up having to accept the risk if we can get it signed off.
What your suggesting though is a start and something I can look at. Cheers

Can you tell Im worrying about whats been put forward when Im asking such stuff on a bike internet forum. Laughing

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:31 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start with something like this or this and roll your own as it were...

A.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it a PDA could well be something to look at more, as I know programs such as BeCrypt etc are approved for data to certain levels.

Thinking

The "rolling my own" is a nice idea but to develop the code etc would be again to costly... this is the MOD after all. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1