Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scotland / Wales

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenBray
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Jan 2006    Post subject: Scotland / Wales Reply with quote

I'm planning on touring Scotland and/or Wales during the summer after I get the bigger bike - I was wondering if anyone has any great places to go to for scenery and roads etc.

I know bend, marjay, wave and a few of the other should have good ideas of scotland so I may need your help if your reading this Razz

Anyone know some good places in Wales that are a must-see as I pass on through?

Thanks for any help dudes,

Ben

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 02 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

east and west coasts of scotland have some great scenery (so does the middle bit as well but everyone likes the coastline). up north has some of the best but you can find nice places all over scotland IMO.

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to either try sky from the south side of lochness for added fun. Or the highlands for all the fun of the north of scotland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you are coming up to Scotland - I'm sure a few of us could act as a tour guide for you Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:48 - 09 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went with the sole purpose of doing Skye and the Inverness - Kyle road and weren't disappointed.

Anything north west you really can't go wrong with. Thumbs Up

Biker-Kev
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 09 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, best thing to do is head up the A9 to Inverness and keep going North to the tip of Scotland and work your way round towards the West of Scotland and head south. The east of Scotland is rather more boring untill you get to FIFE Thumbs Up

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:26 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Scotland / Wales Reply with quote

A few years ago I went up to Scotland for a week in a VX220 Turbo and had a blast.

My absolute best piece of advice is if you can, do the A87 from Invergarry to the Isle of Skye. Absolutely cracking road. It was voted the UK's best on some website a while back and when you see it it's obvious why. The scenery is breathtaking, the surface is second to none and the road itself has hairpins, fast corners, long straights, everything! Mr. Green

I went in early May and remember the weather being pretty decent. Often got some rain when you arrived at Skye but the Invergarry end was usually dry and sunny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Scotland / Wales Reply with quote

A few years ago I went up to Scotland for a week in a VX220 Turbo and had a blast.

My absolute best piece of advice is if you can, do the A87 from Invergarry to the Isle of Skye. Absolutely cracking road. It was voted the UK's best on some website a while back and when you see it it's obvious why. The scenery is breathtaking, the surface is second to none and the road itself has hairpins, fast corners, long straights, everything! Mr. Green

I went in early May and remember the weather being pretty decent. Often got some rain when you arrived at Skye but the Invergarry end was usually dry and sunny.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Biker-Kev** wrote:
IMO, best thing to do is head up the A9 to Inverness and keep going North to the tip of Scotland and work your way round towards the West of Scotland and head south. The east of Scotland is rather more boring untill you get to FIFE Thumbs Up

This man speaks the truth. Straight up the A9 to Inverness then fire right up the fast single-tracker through Lairg and Altnahara to Tongue. Then head West to Durness and work your way back down the West coast.

You mighty want to have a fanny about swapping from the West to East coasts a couple of times once you get as far south as Kyle of Lochalsh or go across to some of the islands.

Miss out the East coast anything much further North than Tain, it is called the 'flow country' and is just a featureless expanse of bog with a very slow A-road going through it (the A9).

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:11 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another vote for getting as far north as you can. Excellent scenery and good roads.

Watch out for the time of year. Scottish midges take no prisoners. They also like dark clothing and anything that's hot and sweaty. So that'll be bikers then Wink They also like wet boggy ground so if camping be careful where you put the tent. There's at least one campsite on Syke that's best avoided because of this. As for insect repellant for the buggers one of the very best is Avon Skin So Soft Body Oil/Spray (as allegedly used by the SAS).

Other than that, hope you have a good time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:26 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard scotland was a great place to tour, i wanna head up there when i get myself sorted out, espacially the south west coastal reagion for scenery. really easy on the eyes i'm told....

have a look at this site for more ideas.

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Just another vote for getting as far north as you can. Excellent scenery and good roads.

Watch out for the time of year. Scottish midges take no prisoners. They also like dark clothing and anything that's hot and sweaty. So that'll be bikers then Wink They also like wet boggy ground so if camping be careful where you put the tent. There's at least one campsite on Syke that's best avoided because of this. As for insect repellant for the buggers one of the very best is Avon Skin So Soft Body Oil/Spray (as allegedly used by the SAS).

Other than that, hope you have a good time.

what about on the coast/beaches - will there be as many midges there? Am going up to the northern coast area in april + am wondering whether it would be better to camp on/near the beaches to avoid the little cretins.

Also, are there any restrictions for camping in beach areas (obviously above the high tide mark!), or any other rural areas for that matter. I know most of scotland is privately owned, but is anybody going to care/ be bothered if I pitch up in a random place. Am not bothered about showering etc, so dont really fancy wasting a tenner for a campsite if poss (more petrol money Smile )

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:20 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjb120 wrote:
what about on the coast/beaches...going up to the northern coast area in april + am wondering whether it would be better to camp on/near the beaches to avoid the little cretins...

Some info on midges here, or you could just do a google.

Bad time for midges is usually June to August (but depends on the sort of winter/summer). So in April you should be ok regardless of where you camp. BTW April in Scotland is likely to be on the chilly side of warm Wink

FWIW the further north you get it doesn't appear to matter where you camp. Just get off the road and ideally within strolling distance of a water source (pref. fast flowing and the usual checks for dead animals). If you want civilisation (i.e. pub) then you may be a little more limited in your choice of campsite. Maybe worth checking for bothys (but, by definition, these don't tend to be near roads).

HTH Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:35 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Midges are everywhere, camping-wise you want a fairly dry location which is exposed to the breeze a bit. Beside standing water and under trees is bad, some places casn be utter midge death. If you are camping, the best thing is to light a fire and sit round it. There wil be fewer of them on beach-side areas.

In my experience, midges on parts of the west coast think skin-so-soft is great because it means they can jab into you better and will bite you on general principle for smelling like a poof. My advice is to go to a hardcore mountineering shop (eg Tisos) and buy yourself some jungle strength insect repellant containing at least "75% DEET". You can get 100%, go for this, you don't need to use much, just wipe it over any exposed skin. Proper chemical warfare stuff.

Don't let that put you off. I am badly allergic to midge bites and spend most of my free summer weekends camping in Scotland. Remember, they don't like dry and breezy locations. That dark and scenic looking tree-lined Glen may seem ideal for camping but it will be midge death.

On the subject of camping and campsites, the Scottish parliment recently brought out new legislation giving a "Right of responsable access." to all land in Scotland. The keyword is RESPONSABLE, if you are not interfering with anything and leave things as you found them, you should be ok. As ever, common sense prevails.

Fire sites could be a bit of a tricky subject, hasn't really been sorted out yet. We tend to only make a fire where there has been one before (which can also indicate a decent camping spot since it has already been used for that), where we can totally dismantle it as if there never was one or where it is not going to matter (eg. on the beach).

Quote:
Wild camping
Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by:

taking away all your litter
removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires);

not causing any pollution.

Link about access legislation in Scotland.

My summer holiday in Scotland last year (with pictures)

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="map"]
pjb120 wrote:
BTW April in Scotland is likely to be on the chilly side of warm Wink

yeah, it probably wont be too warm, but Im not bothered - would be nice to see a bit of snow left on the mountains + am gonna go off the hoof one weekend (i.e. when I know the weather's gonna be dry/ warmish), so no problems there either. Summer is reserved for riding in europe! Very Happy

Sounds good on the camping front - common sense + mutual respect prevails i.e. no stupid rules about where you can and cant pitch - I like that! Makes a nice change Smile

Cant wait to pitch up on an isolated beach somewhere, get a roaring campfire going + slug my bottle of whisky whilst watching the sunset and reading a book. Just need this crappy winter weather to go away now! Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually. You might get away with no midges in April. We usually go on a run to Galloway at Easter time because we can camp in the woods without being bothered by the little bastards. Depends on the weather.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1