BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Memory

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

I can fit either 1Gig of dual channel or 3Gigs of standard memory to the new motherboard, which would be best?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the specs on the two sets of memory (clock speeds, latency etc)? Most applications won't use more than 1Gb either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1GB Dual Channel I'd imagine, but depends on the spec of the memory.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the usual crucial and the crucial balistix stuff.

Anyone got a good explanation of dual channel?

Forgot to add I have no need to overclock.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have asked - I assume your Dual Channel RAM consists of 2 x 512Mb sticks? Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but 1 x 512Mb of Dual Channel RAM won't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual Channel

A development in motherboard and chipset design that allows for increased bandwidth transfer when using two or more memory modules in separate transfer channels. These separate channels allow each module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is a good idea to use matched pairs of modules to ensure the best compatibility for dual channel operation.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:50 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Just the usual crucial and the crucial balistix stuff.

Anyone got a good explanation of dual channel?

Forgot to add I have no need to overclock.

Basically

single channel is like feeding data through a tube to the processor at 64bits a time,

Dual channel is like feeding data throught 2 tubes to the processor at 128bits a time.

all in all doubling the speed at what the memory can transfer the data to the processor. both memory channesl have what you call a traffic controller which feeds equal amounts of data to each tube not over filling one and less in the other causing problems, thats why you can't stick 2 random sticks of memory into dual channel as there timings probably won't be the same and dual channel mode will poop itself and not know what to do
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 05:44 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a load of reading on this Dual channel stuff and I think I may be suffering from a misconception.

If I get 2 sticks of 1gig crucial memory, just the standard stuff but the same size and the same part No. I should be able to run it in dual channel as long as my motherboard allows it?

You don't need specific matched dual channel memory?

Getting a bit confused here as some references say you need matched pairs but most references say you don't.

I have emailed Crucial so hopefully will get a definative answer.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:00 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends mate, i've seen 2 sticks of 1gb crucial, same kind, make and same manufacture batch work. altho its probably more advisable to try and get a matched pair (they'll of been tested together, memory timings eg)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:46 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the modules to be matched, long as they are of the same size (ie 512Mb) and type (ie DDR), if one stick is faster than the other, (Mhz or CAS rating) then the board will slow the faster one down to match (bios memory settings left on AUTO).

Matched pairs are if you want guaranteed performance (or you overclock), as it's know that motherboards get picky when run in Dual-Channel mode.

Smile

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:57 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what he's talking about dude. maybe i didn't explain very clearly

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with your explanation, more a problem with the computer industry talking never being clear.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:57 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol,

were to start,

i actually asked for a punch bag in the warehouse at work.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:39 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual channel can be very picky with memory - some combinations of motherboard and unmatched memory will not work, others will. Some motherboards will not work even with matched pairs of certain memory. The safest bet is always to go with a matched pair - but it doesn't always have to be bought as a pair. If you buy 2 individual sticks of the same stuff you will probably be OK, but not always.

What is best depends on what you will be using the machine for. If you are doing video/image editing etc. that is very memory hungry then 3gb will probably be best, but if you are gaming then the faster dual channel will be better.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to run 3gb in dual channel on this board.

2x1gb DS and 2x512mb SS. It's one of the few nforce boards that has 4 memory slots.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:00 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not worth the hassle mate.

2x 1gb DS would do fine.

my nforce4 board has 4 slots. altho i've only got 512mb in it at the moment. pure waste of a nice board

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkcap Freddie wrote:

2x 1gb DS would do fine.

Pretty much what I thought.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email from Stephanie at Crucial.

Stephanie at Crucial wrote:

Hello Sickpup,

Thank you for your email. The Dual Channel function is a feature of motherboards not the memory. If you have a dual channel motherboard you should install pairs of modules to support this function.
In order for Dual Channel DDR to function correctly the following criteria must be met.
1. Installed in pairs.
2. Each DIMM in the pair must be the same density (128MB, 256MB etc) 3. Each DIMM in the pair must be either Single Bank or Double Bank. You can not mix a Single Bank with a Double Bank module.
4. All DIMMs must contain components of the same density and equal bus width (can not mix x8 with a x16) to achieve addressing symmetry.

Pretty good Explanation
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1