Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smoking ban - your thoughts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Smoking Ban Vote
Outright ban
44%
 44%  [ 40 ]
Ban but exempt pubs not serving food and private member clubs
24%
 24%  [ 22 ]
Ban all except private member clubs
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
None of the above - I can't be bothered
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 89

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Smoking ban - your thoughts? Reply with quote

This is going through parliament today.
So just curious to know how you would vote for the smoking ban.

The arguement for exempting private member clubs is that if owner/run by the members then they are a extension of the home.

Any other reasons welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd ban the lot I'm afraid.

I smoke cigars every now and again and I used to smoke cigarettes. The rights of a non smoker to leave a pub or a club after a night out without the sickly stench on their clothes and body plus the passive inhalation that they endure far outweigh the rights of the smoker to spark up in my opinion.

Want a piss? Go to the bogs.

Want a tab? Go to a designated 'smoking room' or outside.

Simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a smoker and I hate the smell.

However, I resent the constant intrusion of the nanny state into our lives, and therefore want no ban at all.

However, I haven't voted because "I can't be bothered" is not an accurate description of why I don't want a ban.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:45 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Businesses will not give us the option to have clean air, it alienates some of their customers.

So the state has to force them, simple as.

If it was just smelly then I would'nt care, but there are fairly concrete health problems associated with 2nd hand smoke, so I think its right to ban it.

Can still go outside to smoke though.
So its not as if you are compeltely barred from bifters.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:14 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't smoke myself, and normally i don't mind aslong as its not right in my face but recently its been gettin on my nerve's , the smoke burning my nose up close.

what i hate is when your walking down the street and someone infront is puffing away and you can't get a fresh breath of air. that really annoys me.

also . when the idiots chuck there cigarette butts out the windows when i'm behind on the bike, visor up or down. if i get the chance to tell someone off i will
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 12:20 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be banned from pubs and clubs. Nothing worse than going out for the night get in, wake up in the morning to find you entire room stinks of stale fags, also gets on your clothes. Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 13:20 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what i hate is when your walking down the street and someone infront is puffing away and you can't get a fresh breath of air. that really annoys me.

Too much hassle to move out the way is it? or does the smoker have to make a exception to his way of live to accommodate you?

Doesn't a smoker have any rights then in his life? because they way you are all talking (apart from people like Sadie) is that you have more rights than a smoker and there fore his life must be altered for yours, surely its called having a bi of give and take?
If somebody is doing it i your face fair enough, that's rude and should be mentioned but trying to have it banned because some body smokes in the street is just pathetic.
I don't understand what part of smoking gives none smokers the almighty right to say ban it! i want pubs with no smoke! i want streets with no smoke! i want i want! what about the smokers rights to have what he wants? surely a none smoker would be happy in a pub that already doesn't have smokers in? instead you want all pubs to stop smokers, you want streets with none smokers, you want the country to rise up against the smoker!

Why ? because according to some on here the smoker lost any rights to have a life and a say in anything the day he started smoking.

that's my rant over and I'm going to have a ciggy now in my house were i still have a few rights left for the time being until some people want to stop me having any.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Businesses will not give us the option to have clean air, it alienates some of their customers.

If customers were that bothered, they'd seek out places that banned it volentarily and business would cater for them. The only legitimate reason for legislation is to protect people who work there. Then again, you can argue that they choose to work there - we're fortunately not in a time of high unemployment.

I hate the nanny state but to allow customers the choice, I'd think insist that all pubs had seperate areas, one of which was non-smoking. You'd soon see what customers really wanted.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
or does the smoker have to make a exception to his way of live to accommodate you?

I would say so since he is giving me health problems. Would you allow a follow employee at work with a cold sneeze at everyone around him and then say you should not of been standing there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
I would say so since he is giving me health problems.

So its easier for the smoker to move his ass than the none smoker?

or is just more of a your "dirty" get out of my way scum!

As i said before its a case of give and take, i smoke but never in anybodys house that doesnt smoke, i also respect that others dont like the smell of smoke but since when is smoking out side in the street bannable?
I dont like people who fart in public i dont do it in company and i wouldnt make a point out of people who do in the pub and laugh and joke about it.
I dont like the big gas towers 3 miles from my house that make a smell like rotten eggs when full but i cant stop it happening.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to go to a pub and not smell smoke, simple as.

I don't care about smoker's rights, its a damaging habit you choose to take up, so you can deal with the consequences, just like getting obese or having kids. I don't see you deserving any special treatment because you choose to do something antisocial.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop fecking about. Just make tobacco illegal and have done with it, FFS. Sure, your taxes will go through the roof, VAT will be 25-30%, the anti-smoking lobby will turn towards persecuting new "dangerous" activities - "ooh, those nasty bikers look like they need banning." and all the while middle-class do-gooders ride round in ever-bigger 4x4s destroying the planet at the same time as tutting everyone else to death.

So go ahead and ban smoking, but if I'm going to be criminalised for it, then I might as well make the criminalisation worthwhile. Let's face it, if you're going to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly.

OMG. I'm turning into Siggi... Neutral

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:00 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too much hassle to move out the way is it? or does the smoker have to make a exception to his way of live to accommodate you?

fair do's

but i'm not the one who's chosen to smoke. Therefore i don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke, and yes i do move out of the way. it doesn't always work when its windy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea, as a ban WILL help people quit. I quit a while ago, and im absolutely fine when sober and around smokers, or just drunk at my gaff with mates. Its im out in pubs/clubs sorrounded by fags, thats abit hard to resist.

Plus this should (like well see a tax cut pff) lower the strain on the nhs, as less secondhand smoke means less illnesses, with still in theory the same amount of smokers chucking tax at the govt.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 14:09 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i'm not the one who's chosen to smoke

I agree you didnt choose to smoke , i did choose to smoke does that make your rights any better than mine?
Why as soon as i choose to smoke does that mean your rights are better than mine?

Ok let me try to make my point here a bit better..

Quote:
I'd like to be able to go to a pub and not smell smoke, simple as.

Go to one then !there are plenty about that dont allow smoking, or must it be the pub that does allow smoking and you just want to be awkward and have it removed for your benefit?

It seems that none smokers are trying to say "i cant be bothered to put my self out lets put all the smokers out instead"

why should a smokers civil liberties be removed because a none smoker cant be bothered to walk up the road to a pub that doesn't allow smoking?

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 14:16 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus this should (like well see a tax cut pff) lower the strain on the nhs, as less secondhand smoke means less illnesses, with still in theory the same amount of smokers chucking tax at the govt.

Maybe who knows, under no circumstance do i argue that smoking is bad for health and so is passive

But i want to be a dick because i can Wink can you show me some figures that show passive smoking compared to
Road deaths?
industrial injury/deaths?
carbon monoxide poisoning?
cancer(none smoking cancer of course)
pneumonia
and numerous others that i,m sure can be helped and outnumber passive smoking deaths in a much larger figure than smoking.

but anyway thats not my point,
as i said before why must the smoker be picked on when its just as easy for none smokers to go to the pub that doesnt allow smokers?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't smoke, well definitely not in pubs in the UK anyway Smile.

However, if the people really cared, I would hve thought there would be market for non-smoking pubs as it is.
Seems there isn't.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:

But i want to be a dick because i can Wink can you show me some figures that show passive smoking compared to
Road deaths?
industrial injury/deaths?
carbon monoxide poisoning?
cancer(none smoking cancer of course)
pneumonia
and numerous others that i,m sure can be helped and outnumber passive smoking deaths in a much larger figure than smoking.

Nope, but i personally know plenty of people who lost parents to coughing up bits of themselves.

Daz i know you are trying to aid the debate by playing the other side, but as both a smoker and non smoker myself, i know how pointless this argument is.

So if someone owns a bike they should be accomodated oil changes in the middle of pubs? Someone like to be a nudist, should we let them in the pub? Its a personal choice, with health ramifications for other people, even if they are slight, they are unfair.

Its commonly stated, if alcohol or tobacco had been discovered now they'd be banned.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Daz i know you are trying to aid the debate by playing the other side,

Not at all m8, i,m arguing to try and keep my civil liberties.
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up smoking well over a year ago now but my mates all still smoke when we go to the pub.
I would be quite pleased if it was banned but I can't help feel that it's a bit selfish.
Pubs are traditionally places where people go to drink, smoke and swear. They aren't places for kids.
I went to the pub on sunday and there was a couple sitting at a table in the corner smoking, with thier young baby in a push chair next to them. I found that quite shocking as I thought people would know better these days. They should ban kids from the pubs that want to allow smoking and leave others to do what they want.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that breweries and publicans have had several years to get their act together and sort out proper ventilation in pubs, but they dont want to spend any money so they are going to be taught a lesson.
I stopped going into my local a couple of months ago, when i got sick of the haze of smoke hanging 5ft off the floor. You could see it as you walked through the door. When i asked the barman if he could put the fans on for a bit he said " no, its cold with the fans on "!!
Ill go back in spring.
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is get of your fat arse and move outside for a fag, instead of knackering the air inside the pub.

OH THE INJUSTICE!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotlands total ban starts on the 26th of March Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6