Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does ethnicity relate to intelligence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 11:35 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:

Because i'd rather assume people were equal despite the scientific proof than accept the argument for racial superiority that in the 20th century the nazizs restarted.

People like you do more damage to race relations than the most virulent racist - and your comments on this thread are more prejudiced, racist and patronising than any others I have seen.

You have yet to answer a single one of my points - assumedly because you cannot.

You have also yet to explain why one race having a higher average IQ than another makes them superior, nor why it makes anyone noticing it a Nazi-reborn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:55 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the uk today people of other ethnic backgrounds experiecne racism on a daily basis that a white person never will.

Yeah right, like in certain districts in Leeds, liverpool and halifax where the coloured lads will knock the fuck out of any white guy going near their turf.....I don't know which country you live in but from where I stand I think people of ethnic origin get it fucking very well in this country.

The police will not touch these people incase they are branded rascist (by people like yourself).

I know guys who were refused from the police service because they weren't coloured or disabled or gay....Stuff like that is not equality but positive discrimination.

Quote:
So it is through pure ignornance that in 2006 when we have not acheived equality for all , we have individuals who will attempt to pursue proof that the 'black man is stupid'

He did not say the black man is stupid....He posed the question does intellignece relate to ethnicity Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Because i'd rather assume people were equal despite the scientific proof than accept the argument for racial superiority that in the 20th century the nazizs restarted.

You know its pricks like yourself who fucking spoil this country for the majority. You would rather bury your head in the sand than listen to something which could be true but you find offensive.

Not all men are equal and your a fucking dickhead for making such a retarded assumption. People are different, which is why we don't have fucking mungoloids flying aircraft, or quadroplegic bus drivers, bank managers who cannot add, driving instructors who can't drive. People have equal rights and liberties but that does not make them equal in stature or fucking ability.

Its people like yourself who make this country a fucking nanny state by enforcing your fucking ideals on everyone....fucking white middle class arseholes who have nothing better to do than guess what a black man might take offence at then put some ridiculoous fucking plan into action to solve it.

Get off your fucking arse and have a wonder down some of the streets in leeds preaching your equality and see how long you last.

And for the record this discussion never involved anything to do with fucking racial superiority, only one mans right to pose a question which for all extents and purposes is a perfectly valid fucking question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
The guy is saying white people are smarter than black people if that isn't a racist comment what is ?

The original comment was that there was a persistent gap in IQ levels

The BBC wrote:
Dr Ellis has expressed support for the Bell Curve theory, examined in a book by Richard Hernnstein and Charles Murray, which concludes that ethnicity can play a part in IQ levels.

It is a bell curve, or more accuratly comparing the bell curves of those from different ethnic backgrounds. Saying that someone is more intelligent because they are white based on this is ludicrous. Saying that the average intelligence of one particular race is higher than another based on this is entirely legitimate. On the whole what does it matter if 49.5% or 50.5% of the white population is less intelligent than the average person of, say, Ethiopian origin.

The individual is far more important than the average.

All the best

Keith

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Craigie B

Other than the profanity and use emotive descriptive terms that is.

Why is seeking to understand the human condition wrong?

Spiral its people like you with your unwillingness to ask difficult question or what’s even worse here the answer to the same questions if they challenge your ideals that kept Europe in the grips of a dark age for 500 years back then it was religious ideals that where been used to subjugate science and hold back are understanding of the world around us. Now you want to herald in a new Dark Age driven by the PC ideal we are all the same and no one can say differently even if the evidence is staring us in the face.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Excuse the profanity.....The PC squad just angers me when they try to tell you how to think. Evil or Very Mad

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:37 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
Embarassed Excuse the profanity.....The PC squad just angers me when they try to tell you how to think. Evil or Very Mad

No need on my account just “some” here may use it to ignore the valid and well put points in your post.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:12 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletic ability is affected by training and i believe that measured intelligence is also affected by how much intelligence is developed by exposure to ideas and information

You wont do very well on some iq tests if you had crap english teachers or crap maths teachers for example, or in schools with low expectations and poor discipline.

so if some races do less well, you cant seperate genetic causes from environmental causes

Environmental or cultural causes for differences in intelligence would be more acceptable, but if someone managed to somehow prove genetic cause, it would be more contentious. However I dont think it can be done.

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
Athletic ability is affected by training and i believe that measured intelligence is also affected by how much intelligence is developed by exposure to ideas and information

You wont do very well on some iq tests if you had crap english teachers or crap maths teachers for example, or in schools with low expectations and poor discipline.

so if some races do less well, you cant seperate genetic causes from environmental causes

Environmental or cultural causes for differences in intelligence would be more acceptable, but if someone managed to somehow prove genetic cause, it would be more contentious. However I dont think it can be done.

I agree but it is not the answer to the question dose ethnicity affect intelligence it should some one have the right to ask that question.

I honestly live in fear of the day questions can’t be asked for as soon as we stop asking we stop growing we may not like the answer to the questions we ask but we should use that answer to help ask the new question and the next and the next and never live in fear of the answer.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC brigade should read Orwells 1984.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive there are subjects that science should leave well alone, cloning for instance.

Say there is proof that white men are more intelligent than black men, were will it end?

How long before white people are given preference over black people for university places because science says they are
genetically smarter and more likely to succeed?

As craigie b himself said 'we don't have fucking mongoloids flying aircraft, or quadroplegic bus drivers, bank managers who cannot add, driving instructors who can't drive. People have equal rights and liberties but that does not make them equal in stature or fucking ability'

So if in this world were we have labeled black people as less intelligent if a black man gets chosen over a white person for a position of a bus driver Rolling Eyes

He crashes the bus does this mean all the passengers can sue the bus company because they did not hire a white driver?

The fact is no society other than a racist one will ever declare the fact that one race is better smarter faster than another, as it would lead down a very dangerous path.

Societys have to think of the whole rather than pander to a single section of its community.

Does anyone understand this concept or im just just talking to bnp fanboys.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
So if in this world were we have labeled black people as less intelligent if a black man gets chosen over a white person for a position of a bus driver Rolling Eyes

You are the only one suggesting such a conclusion. Such ideas are not even remotely suggested by the original report.

All the best

Keith

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original report being the book 'The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life'

This book is full of mistakes ranging from sloppy reasoning to mis-citations of sources to outright mathematical errors and the mistakes in the book are all directed in proving the authors theory.

The authors set out to "prove" that black people are less intelligent than white ones by modifying IQ tests that are not culturally biased and a valid measure of intelligence to begin with they reach the conclusion they set out to find.

Anyhows the book has been debunked by loads of people far more intelligent than any one here, and they aren't all white people either.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
The authors set out to "prove" that black people are less intelligent than white ones by modifying IQ tests that are not culturally biased and a valid measure of intelligence to begin with they reach the conclusion they set out to find.

Again, this is nothing to do with all black people being less intelligent (or more intelligent). That one race may, on average over a large sample size, be marginally more intelligent than is far from supporting the scare story you have just posted about bus drivers.

If there is a difference, it is still so small that even in the worst case scenario the most intelligent person of the least intelligent race is still more intelligent than 99.999999etc% of the supposedly more intelligent race.

All the best

Keith

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact is no society other than a racist one will ever declare the fact that one race is better smarter faster than another, as it would lead down a very dangerous path.

You don't get it do you? You are entitled to your beliefs....You are not entitled to suppress other peoples opinions, views and truths because you personally find them offensive. You are calling everyone here BNP members but your the one declaring censorship, your the one telling us what we should be allowed to think and say.

Truth of the matter a legitimate question has been posed. You would censor this query because you feel it is offensive to others without due consideration to what others might feel. You are in fact stating what you think people want based on your own experience and nothing else, as you have not posted a single bit of proof to support your rather vivid and wild claims.

So if you were a person of power, you would be forcing people to think and do as you saybecause you obviously know whats better for people. Can't you understand why this is wrong?

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 19:45 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He crashes the bus does this mean all the passengers can sue the bus company because they did not hire a white driver?

BTW that is the single worst made up example I believe I have ever read.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:51 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
The original report being the book 'The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life'

Mmmm, obviously a racist white supremicist book, as it found [i]East Asians, living in Asia or America, score above White Americans in tests of cognitive ability; the best estimate of that difference is about three points with findings ranging from no difference to a 10-point spread in test scores.".

All the best

Keith

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:39 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="craigie b"]
Quote:

So if you were a person of power, you would be forcing people to think and do as you saybecause you obviously know whats better for people. Can't you understand why this is wrong?

No i merely belive that people who try to prove through dubious methods that other races are weaker dumber should not be allowed to spread their idea's.

They can think all they want i just belive its in the common good that they keep their dangerous ideals to themselves.

craigie b "BTW that is the single worst made up example I believe I have ever read"

Well that may be an extreme example of what could happen but perfectly possible if people like yourself were in power who then suddenly declared that all black people were just not as intelligent as us whiteys.

Well heres another example, What would happen to all the black doctors and nurses in the nhs?

Are they going to issue a leaflet when you enter care that if you wait a week you can have a white doctor but you can have a black doctor right away 'we just need you to sign a consent form in case of any complications' ?

kickstart im glad you brought that up in their assessment of Asian intelligence vs American intelligence, they compare students of both groups.

The results show that the Asian students have higher IQs, and according to the authors, that makes them more intelligent. But the authors coveniently, perhaps too conveniently, overlooked the fact that in many parts of Asia, only the most able students proceed on through the grades--students who do poorly are weeded out in earlier years and trained in other areas.

So by high school, only the smartest students are still enrolled in academic schools. Naturally, if you compare these students with American high school students, who are not weeded out (so you have a mix of very bright to rather dumb and everything in between), the Asian students will statistically appear smarter. But are they smarter genetically? No, it's just that their less intelligent kids are not included in the study. And of course, factors such as cultural work ethic, which greatly enhance IQ, are not properly considered. B. What of the fact that Native Americans, who genetically are closest to Asians, and who generally have a lot of European genes mixed in, also score lowly? Conveniently, they are not even included in the author's studies. There is a similar issue with Hispanics.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:10 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
Well that may be an extreme example of what could happen but perfectly possible if people like yourself were in power who then suddenly declared that all black people were just not as intelligent as us whiteys.

Nobody except you has even mentioned that all black people were just not as intelligent as us whiteys. Not even vaguely suggested. That is why your example is so pointless.

If someone really is as thick as 2 short planks and unable to drive a bus then that is down to the individual.

Spiral wrote:
The results show that the Asian students have higher IQs, and according to the authors, that makes them more intelligent. But the authors coveniently, perhaps too conveniently, overlooked the fact that in many parts of Asia, only the most able students proceed on through the grades--students who do poorly are weeded out in earlier years and trained in other areas.

Well, here is the Wikipedia page to go with this:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence_(Average_gaps_among_races)

Note the graph at the top for IQ in the USA, which repeats the already mentioned study and pretty much counts out the point you have mentioned.

All the best

Keith

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:45 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read through it, though this at the top kinda de bunked all the stats right from the start.

It is uncertain what the average IQ or subgroup IQ tests scores would be with more complete studies in the developing world. IQ test scores in the developing world may be affected by factors less important in the developed world such as nutritional deficiencies. Most of the remainder of this article refers to studies attempting to explain race differences in IQ test scores in the US, and does not refer to the world as a whole.

The fact that this article as they say themselves does not contain other races from around the world does not help its case.

and this from another page.

In response to the controversy surrounding The Bell Curve, the American Psychological Association's Board of Scientific Affairs in 1995 established a special task force to publish an investigative report on the research presented in the book. [3]. Regarding genetic causes, they noted that there is not much direct evidence on this point, but what little there is fails to support the genetic hypothesis. The january 1997 issue of American Psychologist included eleven critical responses to the APA report, most of which criticized the report's failure to examine all of the evidence for or against the partly-genetic interpretation of racial differences in IQ

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:50 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So using a specific country to avoid more unknowns debunks it? The opposite would be more likely.

Whether it is genetic, cultural background related, diet or (quite possibly the most likely) poorly developed IQ tests is not really the point. A difference has been found. Research will find the cause, unless everyone is too scared and instead sticks their head in the sand.

All the best

Keith

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No i merely belive that people who try to prove through dubious methods that other races are weaker dumber should not be allowed to spread their idea's.

Wow what a fabrication!!!! I love the way you just pluck stories from thin air.

Look at what you have written....You clearly state people who try to prove other races are dumber shouldn't be allowed to spread their ideas......

1.Dr Ellis at no point states he used the Bell curve theory to build up his theory so can you point out how you know his methods are dubious?

You will note that he has expressed support for it however he personally says "data stretching back 100 years points to a "persistent deviation" in the average IQ of black and white people"

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4785574.stm

Quote:
They can think all they want i just belive its in the common good that they keep their dangerous ideals to themselves.

So you are the man to dictate what is dangerous and what isn't? Who made you lord of the fucking minds??

Quote:

At which point in my conversation have I remotely suggested that if this happened to be true I would instigate an intelligence cull? At least please answer this one

Quote:

Are they going to issue a leaflet when you enter care that if you wait a week you can have a white doctor but you can have a black doctor right away 'we just need you to sign a consent form in case of any complications' ?

Can you back up this amazingly unsubstanciated theory of yours or is it another made up example with no basis in evidence?

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 22:01 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, I would have more respect for you and your opinion if you had the open mindedness displayed here.....

Quote:
Dr Munira Mirza, a tutor in multiculturalism and community relations at the University of Kent, told 5 Live she believed IQ differences could be explained by social and historical factors and did not exist for biological reasons.

But she said: "I don't agree with his views but do defend his right to express them. That is the lifeblood of the campus - people can express views and be held to account for them.

"He's not calling all black people stupid - that is a caricature.

"Academics and students are resorting to lazy, blame-game discussion and not engaging in the debate," she continued.

"I would rather disagree with him openly and explain why his theories do not stand up."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4785574.stm

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with science pursing its interests but we are only discovering what makes us who we are.

And putting out ideas like racial superiority when you do not have all the facts is irresponsible.

For instance the more we learn about the human genome through research the more there is to explore, more than 50% of the human genome is unknown to us and the human genome sequence is almost (99.9%) exactly the same in all people.

It will be a long time before we truly know all that there is to know which is another reason why i argue that at the moment it is not even feasible to argue that one race is smarter than another when we do not even have all the facts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral wrote:
I can agree with science pursing its interests but we are only discovering what makes us who we are.

And putting out ideas like racial superiority when you do not have all the facts is irresponsible.

Not really, and if that is true then the ones who should be dealt with are the writers of the student paper who asked / published the question.

And I hardly think some nominal difference in IQ comes as "racial superiority".

All the best

Keith

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:32 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, i would not say a nominal difference in IQ leads to racial superiority either.

But it angers me that this sort of research can lead to people believing that one race is lesser than another in certain aspects.

And i can only imagine the glee that white supremacists take when such articles are presented, plus they would use such research to add weight to their own arguments.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4