Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Boris has left the building

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Boris is quitting as an MP...
I don't give a fuck!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
I really don't give a fuck!!!
82%
 82%  [ 14 ]
Boris who?!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
354 votes in favour of the privilege committee's recommendation and 7 against. That'll sting a little....

he became a martyr because he asked the benchers not to vote for him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many MPs are there? I bet there are much less than 708. 354 beats all the people abstaining plus the votes against.

Just how many didn't vote so they didn't get seen voting for the privilege committee?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
354 votes in favour of the privilege committee's recommendation and 7 against. That'll sting a little....

Just deepens his wilderness years fantasy. There's a story arc here and the Boris can be sure the media will deliver it in time in hardcover and with a movie deal.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

354 to 7. Are we allowed to say "fuck off. Just fuck. off." Maybe he can fall off the back of a yacht or something, can we arrange that pls Smile

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The abstainers

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1566#notrecorded

Sure many of you have used this for checking how your MP votes.
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And how many MPs are there? I bet there are much less than 708. 354 beats all the people abstaining plus the votes against.

Just how many didn't vote so they didn't get seen voting for the privilege committee?

225 abstained or didn't show up apparently. So a clear majority in favour of the motion anyway.

There are 650 MPs of which 11 don't vote (1 speaker, 3 deputy speakers and 7 Sinn Fein members). Then there are the resigned seats as well...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Sure many of you have used this for checking how your MP votes.
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/

They should point "www.lionsleadbydonkeys.com" at that website Neutral

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of those abstainers reckon Boris will be back and not be nice to those who opposed him? Self preservation. Laughing

If Labour do not win the next election with a sizable majority they are screwed as a major party. Why do I have this horrible feeling the Liberal Undemocrats are going to make huge gains.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wonder how many of those abstainers reckon Boris will be back and not be nice to those who opposed him? Self preservation. Laughing

If Labour do not win the next election with a sizable majority they are screwed as a major party. Why do I have this horrible feeling the Liberal Undemocrats are going to make huge gains.

It's all similar to the Black Balling fiasco our parliament use.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:30 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Hung parliament for the lulz. I wonder if anyone would be prepared to jump in bed with the SNP in exchange for a referrendum.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Hung parliament for the lulz. I wonder if anyone would be prepared to jump in bed with the SNP in exchange for a referrendum.

Wouldn't rate the SNP's prospects at the next election, Lib Dems look at better bet as power brokers.

The worst possible outcome would be an even split between Labour/Tory and whoever volunteers to form a minority government first goes absolutely nowhere over the following year. Then, at the lowest ebb, the Lib Dems throw their lot in with the opposition to form a majority government... out of the frying pan, into the fire Shocked

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abolishing the Special Needs Party and their policies would not be the worst thing to happen in Scotland.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is Starmer is cutting off his nose to spite his face with Scotland. Saying Labour will end new North Sea oil and gas exploration, but help communities profit from clean power projects, Sir Keir Starmer has pledged.

Easy to say Kier but I doubt anyone will believe you, especially those 200,000 who work in that industry.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horrid truth of renewable industries is that the UK are not in it to win it.
We abandoned our heavy engineering capability during thatchers reign.
Most of the work to stick fans in the sea and cuntryside is contracted out to Johnny Foreigner. Siemens are one shower who have a big slice of that pie.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:39 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The horrid truth of renewable industries is that the UK are not in it to win it.
Most of the work to stick fans in the sea and cuntryside is contracted out to Johnny Foreigner. Siemens are one shower who have a big slice of that pie.

Makes you wonder if our government(s) have our best interests at heart.

We'll just leave our resources untapped and give our taxpayers money to foreign companies.

Gotta keep Blackrock happy I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Makes you wonder if our government(s) have our best interests at heart.

LMAO! You so funny!!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:22 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

We should get down with some geothermal while we still have deep sea drillers on tap. Especially if they're going to be made redundant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

We should get down with some geothermal while we still have deep sea drillers on tap. Especially if they're going to be made redundant.

We have miles of coal mines we can tap. A few hundred feet below the surface.
The mines are full of water at an almost constant 15°C.
The other thing is the big massive weight in a mine near Edinburgh that drives a generator as it drops down the mine shaft.

(And fracking to release shale gas, we only have to frack nowhere near snowflakes as franking can trigger wee earthquakes. 2. Something magnitude.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:04 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The other thing is the big massive weight in a mine near Edinburgh that drives a generator as it drops down the mine shaft.

I do wonder why we don't put big weights inside the wind generators for this precise reason.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
MCN wrote:

I do wonder why we don't put big weights inside the wind generators for this precise reason.

Wind generators aren't that high. Insufficient gravitational potential energy I suspect.

If you want large energy storage and the ability to access it quickly then pumped storage is a useful way to go.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 20 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Erm... Scotland is among the world leaders in research and development of renewable energy systems. Tidal and wave and wind as well as hydrogen production.

We currently produce more than 12GW of energy through renewables, have something like 85% of the UK hydro capacity. We also have pumped storage capacity...

I wonder why Westminster is so keen to keep a hold of us. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:50 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
MCN wrote:

Erm... Scotland is among the world leaders in research and development of renewable energy systems. Tidal and wave and wind as well as hydrogen production.

We currently produce more than 12GW of energy through renewables, have something like 85% of the UK hydro capacity. We also have pumped storage capacity...

I know the power generation thing.

The meters.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

The site creator's short, interesting schpiel

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/about.html

I mean the Johnny Foreigner people making the equipment.

https://www.peoplewithenergy.co.uk/news/who-are-the-big-players-in-the-manufacture-of-wind-turbines

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:54 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I looked up UK manufacturing sector compared with the rest of the world and found an interesting paper by some economists. I can't fund it now of course but the gyst of it was that our belief that Britain was some kind of manufacturing behemoth is a bit of a myth. True we were the hub of the industrial revolution but we never exploited it to the degree we could have. Monetisation of our inovations meant that the banking sector took all the fruits while other countries grew their manufacturing sector. Particularly Germany and the US. The City of London has been leaching off the country for hundreds of years.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
MCN wrote:

I looked up UK manufacturing sector compared with the rest of the world and found an interesting paper by some economists. I can't fund it now of course but the gyst of it was that our belief that Britain was some kind of manufacturing behemoth is a bit of a myth. True we were the hub of the industrial revolution but we never exploited it to the degree we could have. Monetisation of our inovations meant that the banking sector took all the fruits while other countries grew their manufacturing sector. Particularly Germany and the US. The City of London has been leaching off the country for hundreds of years.

Lest we forget that the Bosch and the Nips got a heluva financial boost after they started and lost wwii.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 21 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

The fad is to push all your needs overseas. e.g. EVs are "green" 'cos all the carbon-footprint in manufacture is someone else's problem. We already trade energy with Norway, France & Holland extensively why not with an independent Scotland? Not like the sweaties would have many customers to choose from.

All the eyesore windfarms and maintenance are outsourced to another country and the rest of the UK scores some fat eco-brownie points we so desperately desire. Sounds like a win for independence to me!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4