Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My CG is not happy!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: My CG is not happy! Reply with quote

So, for the last three days now, every time I have started my engine from cold I've been forced to bump start it. It's as if my battery is very low, allowing my starter motor to spin my engine about twice before grinding to a halt. If the engine is warm then there's only just enough juice left in there to get it going and then it's fine.

However, my CG has been on journeys recently which ought to have been long enough to have my battery in tip top condition. So while I haven't yet checked the levels in my battery (it's pretty new anyway) I now have to assume that my alternator is failing me.

Further evidence to suggest this is that when ever my engine produces a certain amount of vibration (meaning various bands of revs) a noise which is basically metal scraping against metal comes from below me. I'm assuming this means it's pretty much going to be FUBAR inside... although seeming as my bike is still working it is hopefully still producing at least a small voltage which allows my spark plugs to soldier on.

So bea sea ef, what do I do? Is it easy to open up the cover and take a look? Is this something that is likely to have started failing after 23,000 miles or so? And how much will it cost? Confused Sad
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

vcrmoss
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my engine produces a certain amount of vibration (meaning various bands of revs) a noise which is basically metal scraping against metal comes from below me. I'm assuming this means it's pretty much going to be FUBAR inside... although seeming as my bike is still working it is hopefully still producing at least a small voltage which allows my spark plugs to soldier on

I have only recently noticed this with my Gilera Cougar (running on CG engine) and had no idea what it was....its just one thing after another with this engine and its only 6700 miles on the clock.thanks for pointing me out to the right direction with this anyway

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcrmoss wrote:
I have only recently noticed this with my Gilera Cougar (running on CG engine) and had no idea what it was....its just one thing after another with this engine and its only 6700 miles on the clock.thanks for pointing me out to the right direction with this anyway

Well, it's my best guess at what it is because if it was actually the piston scraping against the bore there would be no way the performance wouldn't drop off and my engine start losing compression and burning oil (which it's not doing). That and this new electrical problem. It's getting quite fun bump starting the bike now actually.

The CG engine is normally pretty reliable (I've completely abused mine in all ways possible), so 6700 miles sounds unlucky for a similar problem.

Anyway... is it really that much of a hassle to get to the flywheel? I was going to strip and rebuild my engine anyway (mostly to learn how to do it) and this is at least one thing I can do at the same time. Wemoto has an ignition coil for my bike at £20, is that what I'm looking for?

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's the stator coil that's probably gone, Wemoto sell ignition coils (the thing the spark plug is attached to). Sounds as if the coil might have come loose (or even the flywheel - I had that happen once on my elderly C70).

It shouldn't be any problem to get inexpensive replacements for a CG, if it turns out the stator coil is shot.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after consulting my local garage for a free 60 seconds of advice the mechanic noticed that when you revved my engine my headlight actually started to dim Confused

I assume that's because the spark plugs are not only pulling power from the ignition coil / part of the engine still generating electricity but also any life left in my battery. I have now realised that ideally I should charge my battery up immediately before I ruin it. Although, it does seem to be charging incredibly slowly.

*Sigh*. I'll have to try and find some time to have it all apart. Thanks for the advice. Google is being useless in helping me find prices for parts.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the official flywheel puller from david silvers, its only about 8 quid and well worth it.

I spent 3 days and lost about a pint of blood trying to use 3 wheel pullers, long screwdrivers and hammers removing the flywheel on mine before I relented and got the honda tool, screwed it in, gave it a light tap with a small hammer and the flywheel came right off.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
it might just be shitten up

Ah so that's the technical term for it? Laughing

Previously said mechanic looked at me with utter distain when I implied that I would simply charge my battery each night and let what ever issues I have be.

I'm sure it can't be that hard to get as an official honda part (if I need to) because they only stopped selling the CG all shiny and new out of show rooms last year.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen whole CG motors go very cheap - might be better to consider that option (so long as the motor does come with the stator).

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic idea! Seeming as I'm never giving up my CG I'll need a way to keep it going anyway.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:46 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
Fantastic idea! Seeming as I'm never giving up my CG I'll need a way to keep it going anyway.

drop me a message on facebook, we can have a look at replacing parts on your cg at my house/i can travel to you or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:02 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go crazy pulling the engine apart, have you considered that you could just have a knackered battery?

When a battery is old it loses its capacity to store a charge, so in effect your 10Ah battery is now a 1Ah battery. If the battery is more than 5 years old, or has been neglected in the past, it probably needs replacing.

The ignition system draws a tiny amount of power.

It is also possible that the reg/rec is dying, it's a classic Honda fault and there should be a method of testing it with a multimeter in the haynes manual.

I think a CG also has a ballast resistor that does something to do with the lighting, sitting beneath the headlight on the yokes. Memory is hazy, but I think it rusts where it connects to the yokes and knackers the resistor.

Charging test first. Connect a multimeter across the battery set to read volts. Before starting the bike, with the ignition and everything else off, a healthy battery will read about 12.5 volts. 11 or below is bad.
Now with the engine running on tickover you want to see at least 12 volts, and it should be higher than with the engine off. Turn the headlight on, and see if you get a significant voltage drop.
Now, headlight off. Rev the engine to between 4000 and 5000 rpm and hold it there until the reading settles. You should see around 14v. If it is more like 30-60v, your reg/rec is knackered. If it is the same or less than with the engine off (12v or under) then it isn't charging. This could mean a reg/rec failure, a broken wire on the charging circuit, or a failed stator.

Again, there should be stator tests in the haynes. If it runs the stator as two difference circuits then I would assume that you can test the resistance across each circuit and see if they are wildly different.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dead battery or knackered reg/rec wouldn't explain the grinding noises coming from the engine. That suggests something has come adrift in the stator area.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly cows I think something is adrift inside of my engine as you suggest. Anyway, massive thank you Robby, I shall be testing my electrics and looking for corrosion before pulling the engine apart.

And Paddy, I know I've been mentioning it for months now but if you want to come down here and help me pull my engine apart near the end of the month that would be much appriciated Thumbs Up

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
i bought a replacement stator coil thingy off ebay,hoping it wil fit,or be able to be bodged on else i'm gnna be stuck for parts again :/

Or charge up the battery each night again before you use your bike Thumbs Up Laughing

[edit] Is this what you mean?

https://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=CG&_kw=stator

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that puts me off the CG is the assorted models they made, with bits that aren't interchangeable. I'm still tempted to get another, what with fuel being the frankly insane price it is at present. I used to get 140mpg out of mine, with care.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
One of the things that puts me off the CG is the assorted models they made, with bits that aren't interchangeable. I'm still tempted to get another, what with fuel being the frankly insane price it is at present. I used to get 140mpg out of mine, with care.

About four or five major iterations since 1976 as I understood it? That's not bad if you ask me. Many of the parts are interchangable as well.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the late 90s one, with drum brakes but 12V electrics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1