Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KLX 250 - Noisy tappets, or about-to-snap cam chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: KLX 250 - Noisy tappets, or about-to-snap cam chain? Reply with quote

Got a KLX250 recently, and it's got quite noisy over the last couple of days. Once it's hot, there's a sharp metallicy tap all the time, which sounds to me that it's tappets or cam chain. Not sure which, tbh.

Also, it's impossible to rev over around 7 - 9k revs (I'm guessing as there's no rev counter), even on full throttle it seems to be limited and won't rev beyond that. I'm having problems with the carb at the moment as well, (but I'm sure there's enough fuel getting through on full gas) so I'm not sure if that's related, or if it's just the tappets or cam that won't let it rev freely.

Before I take the cover off, can anyone advise what it's most likely to be? I don't want to shell out on a new cam chain if I can avoid it, but if it is likely to be that, I'd rather get a new one before I take the cover off.

Lastly, until I get a manual for it, I'm not sure whether I can just adjust the tappets (easy and cheap) or if I have to bugger about with shims. Anyone know which system it uses..?

It's a 1994 KLX250E, btw.

Cheers! Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:12 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a KLR250, and it always sounded tappy.

They do have a tiny oil capacity, so make sure the oil level is ok. It's very easy to run them pretty much dry.

I think my old noise was cam chain. Could do the old screwdriver stethoscope trick. Listen to the handle end, and prod the tip end around the engine and listen for the noise.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the screwdriver trick already, but while I can hear a difference, depending on where I put it, I still don't know enough to be able to tell what it is I'm actually hearing.. Embarassed

Oil level is ok, if slightly under the mark.

Would yours rev all the way from 1k to 'screaming', btw? Or would it feel as though it was limited at around 7-9k, and feel a bit sluggish when riding? (No experience of mid capacity single 4 strokes, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting..)

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:26 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like you're reaching the 'redline'. I don't think mine was limited as such, it just runs out of power to rev any further.

They don't rev very high, being a single cylinder 4 stroke. And mine wasn't particularly quick either. I think it topped out at about 90mph.

How long have you had it? Could just be that you're not really used to the bike and the noises it makes.

Definitely worth whipping the cam chain tensioner out and checking it's ok. And checking its set up ok.
And maybe worth checking the valve clearances, I think they're just locknut adjustments.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
wasn't particularly quick either. I think it topped out at about 90mph.

I don't know the speed (broken speedo cable Rolling Eyes) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't get anywhere near 90. Feels about 65ish, certainly no more than 70. Shocked

Quote:
How long have you had it? Could just be that you're not really used to the bike and the noises it makes.

Not long, only a couple of weeks. But it's definitely noisier now than when I first got it, but even from the off it felt really sluggish, and I'm sure it's capable of giving more. My first thought that the timing was retarded tbh, (that's what it felt like) but as far as I can see there's no way to adjust the timing.

Quote:
Definitely worth whipping the cam chain tensioner out and checking it's ok. And checking its set up ok.
And maybe worth checking the valve clearances, I think they're just locknut adjustments.

I hope so, really don't want to mess about with shimming if at all possible! But yes, I'll whip the top off and see what I can see. Cheers, Gaz. Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound right! Mine would only cruise comfortably at about 65mph, but it was capable of going at least a bit faster.

I'd give it a compression test if you've got a tester (or can borrow one). Saves buying any new gaskets.
Low compression could account for your problems, let's hope not though.

Gaz

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a tester, but it's for the bigger plugs and not this tiny one. I've been trying to find an adapter for it, but no joy yet. But still, I'm hoping it's not that too Smile

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:10 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember how the ignition works, if it's points, they could be knackered, which is messing up the timing.

Gaz

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

Gaz

My KLX 300 is basically a larger bore version of the KLX 250 and it employs shims.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:26 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the valve clearances first, then see. Checking them is free, camchains are surprisingly expensive. Also it's quite often the tension that is knackered, rather than the chain. Think of it this way:
The camchain is taking less load than the drive chain, is a triple row job, and is always perfectly lubricated. Considering that a drive chain can last 20k with maintenance, a camchain can last an awful lot longer.

Tensioners can be a bit shit though, jamming up and failing to extend to take up stretch in the chain being a fairly common failure.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:29 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Robby, I would say either the noise isn't cam chain, or it's unrelated.

Since it sounds like you have a performance problem, I would be focussing on things that would affect the performance, like valve clearances, compression and timing.

Gaz

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it doesn't have points, as it has a leccy box unit on it.

Will check the valve clearances at the weekend, hopefully it's just that (looks like it's a shim job then, if Raffles's was shims Sad) or it's just the cam chain tensioner that needs looking at.

Although saying that, just rode back to work and it seems to have gone quieter..maybe the auto adjust has kicked in..? It's still pretty sluggish though.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find an adapter for the compression tester in the meantime too.

Anyway, cheers all, much appreciated Thumbs Up

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:41 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay first step is to check valve clearances... if the ignition side has closed up you will get crap starting and it will run like a slug.

Next is cam chain tension. You can check this when checking the tappets. You should not be able to raise the chain off the sprocket teeth.

Next step is the tensioner. Make sure you are at the timing mark and whip the tensioner off. Check for wear and if it is working correctly ten either replace with a new one or re-tension and re-fit.

Then check your air filter.

Also does the noise go away if you pull the clutch in ? If so then check your clutch plates for wear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:50 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how many teeth on your front and rear sprockets.... ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazoid wrote:
Okay first step is to check valve clearances... if the ignition side has closed up you will get crap starting and it will run like a slug.

Starting isn't too bad usually, but it does run like a slug definitely.

Quote:
Next is cam chain tension. You can check this when checking the tappets. You should not be able to raise the chain off the sprocket teeth.

Next step is the tensioner. Make sure you are at the timing mark and whip the tensioner off. Check for wear and if it is working correctly ten either replace with a new one or re-tension and re-fit.

Check. Will be doing all that this weekend, I hope. By timing mark, you mean the 'T', which indicates TDC, is that right?

Quote:
Then check your air filter.

I tried it without the filter on, and it's everso slightly perkier, as I expected, but still down on grunt. Does sound a lot better though, I love induction roar Very Happy

Quote:
Also does the noise go away if you pull the clutch in ? If so then check your clutch plates for wear.

No, it's at its noisiest just riding along, comes from inside the head/block, and doesn't go away with the clutch pulled in. In fact, the clutch is one of the few things that seems to actually work properly Smile

Cheers, Grazoid.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
or it's just the cam chain tensioner that needs looking at.

Although saying that, just rode back to work and it seems to have gone quieter..maybe the auto adjust has kicked in..?

It's highly unlikely that the auto-adjust will have just kicked back in. These engines employ a non-return type cam chain tensioner. The push rod does not return to it's original position once it has moved out to take up cam chain slack.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
It's highly unlikely that the auto-adjust will have just kicked back in. These engines employ a non-return type cam chain tensioner. The push rod does not return to it's original position once it has moved out to take up cam chain slack.

I've managed to get a manual, and can see you're right. I can see it definitely is a shimmed jobby too, unfortunately.

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:12 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem with my wr250 at the moment too.

I don't have a loss of performance though, just a unusual noise coming from the engine block (more from the exhaust side).

Its probally due for the valve clearences to be checked, just hope its nothing expensive.

To the OP let us know how you get on Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1