Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I finally got pulled over, I need to put on the brakes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:59 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: I finally got pulled over, I need to put on the brakes! Reply with quote

So, I finally got to see some of these Police after apparently doing "twice the speed limit" in the center of town. I mean ... ... ... fair enough, that's exactly what I was doing, but after showing a very innocent face we then got to the reason for this thread.

I was very politely informed by the police officer that my MOT is out of date by 7 months Shocked it was certainly news to me. So, it was totally my fault for not realising and I think he saw my reaction as genuine and so decided to only give me a producer. Right then, 7 days to produce my licence, insurance and MOT certificate, no problem right?

I doubt my bike will pass an MOT, so I have two questions for you:

Will my bike pass missing one or both of it's mirrors and do they test the rear brake? My rear brake is non existent - it's barely powerful enough to hold my bike still on a hill. Do I just need to replace the shoe of the drum if so? Is that expensive?

I don't have much money if I'm honest Sad Is there anything else that they are likely to be able to fail me for on the MOT? The thread on my front tire is probably getting to the borderline illegal point too.

Many thanks for your advice. Mr. Green Karma Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:41 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you met some nice coppers, though the speed thing will have been hard to prove if you just went past them, they still could have fucked you for the MOT though to make up for it.

Mirrors are not required.
Rear brake is definatly tested. The pedal must be in the right position with the correct amount of free play and the brake must be decent.
Drums probably won't be needed, though new shoes may take a while to bed in. Shoes are cheap as fuck, but a fiddle to fit. Get them, fit them, bed them in, and check over everything on the bike especially seised suspension, excessive free play in things, well oiled cables, correct suspension firmness. Better pass that test or they might throw the book at you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said.

BUT
Sorry to be negative.

Just wanted to add that the documents that you take to the Police station should be current ON THE DAY that the producer was issued. Getting the MOT done after is not necessarily going to stop you getting a fine or points, same goes for the speeding offence.

Can you remember if he mentioned the word 'reported' or 'prosecute' at any point?

There is a 14 day window for them to issue a Notice of Intent to Prosecute.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spoil sport Rolling Eyes he strongly implied that if I gave a police station the documents within the next 7 days then everything would be fine, and if I didn't I would be prosecuted. He made it quite clear that he was in this incident being discretionary rather than me having committed a recorded traffic offense.

He told me to just leave my bike where it was (in town) and get the test booked ASAP. And they weren't just watching from a side street, they were following me at exactly the same speed (probably why I didn't slow down) and all I could see in my mirror was blinding light. The fastest I was going was probably around 36 MPH but as the officer rightly pointed out, the center of my town has a 20MPH speed limit.

We did have a nice chat in there somewhere about software developers getting paid for more than website developers.

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:23 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ if you were riding a bike in that state doing twice the speed limit you deserve to be bloody nicked. Riding without decent brakes & speeding too!!!!! What the hell Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:28 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You f*cking div! When the policeman said "Get the test booked ASAP" he meant the SAME DAY.

Now when you take your docs in to the police station it will be obvious that the MOT was done AFTER the date of the producer.

And why ride with a rear brake that is defective? There is lots you can do to make a drum brake more effective.

Please, if you want to have grown ups toys, then please try to behave like one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:37 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one (or both) of the mirrors is dodgy/questionable then take both mirrors off for the MOT.

Do you know if the rear brake shoes need replacing? If the brake is being crap then it could be out of adjustment rather than the shoes worn out.
Alexio wrote:
Is there anything else that they are likely to be able to fail me for on the MOT?

There are lots of things they could fail you on. Wink https://motuk.com/bike/index.asp

Have a read through that and then have a bit of a look over your bike to see if you can find anything that looks likely to fail.
wrote:
Right then, 7 days to produce my licence, insurance and MOT certificate, no problem right?

No problem depends on if they want to be cunts. When you can't produce your documents, hey may or may not report you for the offense you've committed.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubby wrote:
Jesus Christ if you were riding a bike in that state doing twice the speed limit you deserve to be bloody nicked. Riding without decent brakes & speeding too!!!!! What the hell Rolling Eyes

Yes, many kittens died. I did 36MPH at 2am in the morning with absolutely no traffic or pedestrians. The police car and taxis that I've never seen do less than 40MPH in town either don't count.

I forgot it was a 20MPH zone. If it had of been a 30MPH zone I would only have been about 6MPH over, if my speedo was accurate.

MarJay wrote:
You f*cking div! When the policeman said "Get the test booked ASAP" he meant the SAME DAY.

Now when you take your docs in to the police station it will be obvious that the MOT was done AFTER the date of the producer.

And why ride with a rear brake that is defective? There is lots you can do to make a drum brake more effective.

Please, if you want to have grown ups toys, then please try to behave like one.

Thanks. I'll do it the same day - that happens to be today.

I am grown up, stop being so judgmental about something that was ultimately not irresponsible as far as posing a danger to the public was concerned and was also entirely accidental.

And finally, why was I riding with a defective rear brake? It hasn't been that way for very long at all and my front brake is completely new and is incredibly effective. I've also been slightly low on funds until yesterday. I doubt you could argue that while I've been riding around town at up to 40MPH that not having a rear brake was posing a danger to anyone. I've been stopping with the front one just fine.

Thank you Ste for being helpful Thumbs Up

Just out of curiosity Grubby, what do you "disagree" with regarding my first post of this thread? All I wrote was what happened and a couple of questions, I didn't offer you an opinion to agree or disagree with. If you must know I feel bad for forgetting these kind of things and any accidental motoring offense I commit. I don't feel like anything good has happened here.

I do wish people would be a little more objective sometimes.

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marki wrote:
Getting the MOT done after is not necessarily going to stop you getting a fine or points

No MOT is a non-endorsable offence (no points) Very Happy

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlimRick wrote:
Marki wrote:
Getting the MOT done after is not necessarily going to stop you getting a fine or points

No MOT is a non-endorsable offence (no points) Very Happy

Although, if it was proven that I was riding somewhere other than an MOT test center at the time then having no MOT effectively makes my insurance invalid. Or so the officer was keen to point out.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:28 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MOT is non-endorsable anyway - just a fine no points.

As mentioned, take mirrors off and get MOT booked at a 'free retest' place.

Oh and was it and unmarked car - if it was marked, you DEFINITELY need better observations Smile.

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:

Although, if it was proven that I was riding somewhere other than an MOT test center at the time then having no MOT effectively makes my insurance invalid. Or so the officer was keen to point out.

Depends on the wording of the insurance policy usually.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oh and was it and unmarked car - if it was marked, you DEFINITELY need better observations Smile.

Don't make me feel any more stupid than I already do Sad

Alexio wrote:
all I could see in my mirror was blinding light.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:12 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmarked cars still often have flashy lights - concealed but that with their full-beam flashing make a decent amount more noise.
As suggested by Schrodinger – exceeding the speed limit may not kill the cute kitten until someone sees Wink.

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tread on tyre needs to be 1mm minimum (if the front is borderline you may get an advisory from the MOT centre).

Try adjusting the rear brake, if that doesn't help, then you will probably need new shoes.

Bikes do not need mirrors to be fitted to pass an MOT.

MOT 7 months out of date Shocked

Good luck with getting it sorted Thumbs Up

If you don't get it MOT'd today then they may prosecute you for speeding as well as no valid MOT.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tut Tut

spanerman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the mot, rear shoes cost around 15quid Smile

Best to get your MOT, Tax and Insurance dates on your callender or phone, its the only way I remember Laughing

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to quote a paragraph from The Driver's Survival Handbook. It is a book that has been compiled by a number of leading experts including a retired Traffic Cop:-

If you have to produce your test certificate at a police station but you don't have one, this is what you should do. Have the vehicle tested and take the new certificate to the station. It will be noted that it does not cover the date on which the vehicle was being used and you will probably be reported for the offence. However,because you now have a valid certificate, the offence will in all probability not be pursued and you will receive a caution.

As far as your your back brake is concerned then, as mentioned above, it probably just needs adjusting. This procedure can normally be undertaken by adjusting the *trunnion nut at the rear wheel.

*This is a word that I recently learned and I have been dieing to slip it into a post ever since!

Best of luck

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
This procedure can normally be undertaken by adjusting the *trunnion nut at the rear wheel.

*This is a word that I recently learned and I have been dieing to slip it into a post ever since!

Best of luck
Nicely done Thumbs Up

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cleaning the pivot pin that passes through the drum. It doesn't take much crud to stop them working as well as they could.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:14 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, when did you think your MOT ran out? Wink
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: I finally got pulled over, I need to put on the brakes! Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Just out of interest, when did you think your MOT ran out? Wink

I had it in my head that the MOT was November of this year when it was in fact November of last year. If you must know, and this is the honest truth, I thought this MOT had to come 2 years after the last one. I've no idea why 2 years was stuck in my mind but it was, so I'm a little bit annoying at someone who planted the idea while obviously taking a wild stab at the truth when I asked them.

BLUEX5 wrote:
You ought to be in fucking prison. Irresponsible (can't be arsed to check when MOT is due) and operating a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Not my fucking problem. It's YOUR responsibility to keep your vehicle legal. If you can't afford it, get rid. It really pisses me off that I have just spent £100 getting my GSXR upto scratch for MOT yet you think it's acceptable not to bother, and on a CG125 too were bits are cheap. Evil or Very Mad

Uh... thanks. You've been very helpful there BLUEX5. I don't think it's acceptable not to bother and my vehicle isn't in a dangerous condition, and especially not because of missing an MOT. If I had of had the MOT and passed 7 months ago my rear brake would be in the same condition as it is right now and furthermore any additional faults would still have developed. Please don't try to argue with me that it's impossible for a vehicle with a valid MOT to develop a serious and dangerous fault.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: I finally got pulled over, I need to put on the brakes! Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
So many contradictions in one post. I think a front tire down to the canvas or a brake that won't hold the bike on an incline may well lead to the MOT tester filling in the "In my opinion the vehicle is dangerous to drive because..." bit of the fail cert.

My front brake works just fine and my front tire is not down to the canvas, it looks like about 2mm of tread but I say borderline illegal because it might be just 1mm because my eyes aren't a metric ruler.

And the amount of bikers on BCF that I've heard say things that elude to them only ever using one brake typically while riding makes me think I can't be killing too many little kittens by not having the second one working for a short time. I've done emergency stops and everything just using just the front brake and still out-braked the car in front because of that awesome little disk brake and how light my CG is. Lets not bicker now, you might start spouting calls for publicly recorded suicide again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2