Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I finally got pulled over, I need to put on the brakes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:25 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the wheel off and look at the pads before doing anything.

Chances are its fine and just needs adjusting. Really easy on a CG. Just screw in the nut on the end of the thin tube.

Might be jammed up inside though, but no bolts to check, it just pops off.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember the last time I got a puncture on the way to Ireland I had to remove the rear wheel to replace the innertube and I had to get my head around the rear drum brake as it ended up completely dis-assembling it's self as I took it off. Well, it's at the MOT place right now. They're also the cheapest bike shop around for miles so if it's a very simple adjustment they'll be ok with it and if I need new shoes hopefully they will have them. If they do have them I'll go back and fit them myself, I just need it to be there and in the queue as early as possible.

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:55 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I Disagree with is your attitude to motorcycling.
The front tyre is near as damn it knackered & you are relying on it to do all your stopping!!! What the hell do you do when you have to do an emergency stop in the rain?
As for the rear brake...on a CG it's probably the cam pivot corroding in the drum housing. This would be down to piss poor maintenance. No surprises there then Rolling Eyes If it's truly stuck don't just welt it with a hammer as you'll probably damage the splined end. Soak it in WD40 or GT85 then try tapping it out with a nylon or urethane mallet failing that a copper/brass drift. If that doesn't work then you'll have to heat the housing up. When you do get it out clean the housing & the cam with scotchbrite then lube with neverseez or copperslip before you reassemble it.
What you need to understand more than anything though is that owning a motorcycle is a serious responsibility that entails keeping the bike maintained to a higher state than any car owner would do as it's far more likely that you'll have an accident if you don't.
Hope you find this helpful & not too patronising Tut Tut

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a lot more helpful and constructive, thank you for providing your reasoning. Naturally I disagree with what you have said though, I try to be as responsible as I can. Sometimes my best clearly isn't good enough but the amount of miles I put on the thing (without hurting anyone I might add) it's no wonder it needs more attention now.

The cam pivot works just fine, I've just taken the back wheel apart and put it back on again after cleaning out a massive building of horrible black stuff which I assume is break dust and general yuckiness. I'm going to adjust it as much as I can, find a big hill and see if it's given me more stopping power. There was plenty of axle greasiness left so I've left that as it is for the moment, although I don't have any more to be honest.

If this has failed I now have an entirely new set of shoes I can shove on later on today even though there seems to be plenty of meat left on the old ones. The front tire isn't knackered just yet. I'll post a picture up if you really want to see Laughing

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the MOT centre say?

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:00 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
I'm going to adjust it as much as I can, find a big hill and see if it's given me more stopping power.

May I advise trying it on the flat before tackling this big hill Razz

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
What did the MOT centre say?

MOT test centre apologised that they wouldn't get around to testing it today after all so rather than leave it there over night (it's a couple mins walk from me) I took it back to have a stab at the breaks before it was tested and adjusted in the hands of the engineers there.

It's being tested at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Ditto wrote:
Alexio wrote:
I'm going to adjust it as much as I can, find a big hill and see if it's given me more stopping power.

May I advise trying it on the flat before tackling this big hill Razz

Well I just tried the big hill and I'm happy to report that I managed to damn near lock up my rear wheel! It takes a bit of force at the moment though, there isn't much of a braking effect until you're noticeably putting effort in to it and then suddenly you feel it kicking in. Is this just the shoes needing to be bedded in again?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:59 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your having so many kittens mate, dont think there's going to be a shortage for a while!
Stop arguing, go get that drum brake stripped, cleaned & adjusted.
Spend more time bickering with people getting your back up becouse you bin a dunce than getting it sorted!
Sounds like you got a decent coppa, go do what he said, and leave it at that.
Be more useful to be reading the Haynes manual than the replies on here..... go on... log off NOW.........
Not gone yet? wont fix itself y'know!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2