BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New boy with some questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you old enough to do DAS soon I wouldn't bother buying a sports 125. You'll want something faster soon after passing DAS.

I bought my rs125 new because I was 18 at the time and new that I wouldn't be able to have a bigger bike for 3 years, so it made more sense in the long run to buy new.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rather lucky because my NSR125RR cost £1000 and its in pretty good nick. The chain needs some oil, and i need to clean it, but it is mechanically fine so i got a bargain, i think? Anyway, for a grand, I think I did well, when I get a camera, I will show some pictures.

Craig G(Noggin)

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller wrote:

I bought my rs125 new because I was 18 at the time and new that I wouldn't be able to have a bigger bike for 3 years, so it made more sense in the long run to buy new.

You only have to wait two years before the 33bhp restriction is lifted. Personally I'm doing my test then looking to buy something like a CB500 or GS500. Also considering the 650 range.

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You only have to wait two years before the 33bhp restriction is lifted

Unless you are under 21, then you have to wait until you are 21, don't you?

Craig G(Noggin)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noggin wrote:
Unless you are under 21, then you have to wait until you are 21, don't you?

Nope.

If you pass your test on a 125 you ALWAYS have to wait 2 years for the restriction to pass unless you pay for ANOTHER test called accelerated access. You can only take accelerated access if you are over 21 or pass your 21st birthday during your restriction. Not many people pay out the extra £40 or whatever it is for another test, plus all the hassle.

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:18 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, if on a 125

Brick Wall

Didn't read that quite right. Thought it meant after doing the full test.

Craig G(Noggin)

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:06 - 14 Apr 2004    Post subject: Local bikes Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I'm not far just over wilmslow way, I picked up a 2000 plate NSR 125R (black) from Cheshire motor cycle salvage, it had a few scrapes down the side and it needs a brake hanlde, that he gave me anyway, just some fafy odds and ends apart from that just caked in mud and a dam good clean and it's not bad for £1000.

Also noticed there are a few popup on ebay each week, just have to watch them, again risk unless you can get to see it but, I know from past experiance even if you go to a dealer and get a waranty that can and do just tell you to *** off, know its less likely but well.

fell free to get in touch if you need anything

Ian

BIKELESS STEVE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:55 - 15 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm very new to biking I'm 3 days into a six day accelerated access course and I'm glad I'm doing it this way. The only problem I see with pottling about on a 125 before taking your test is unless you have regular tuition you'll get into bad habits which can make you fail your test. With no-one to correct you you'll not improve. In just 3 days I've gone from Numpty to what I would consider competant, the instructor I chose is notorius for bollocking for even small errors and that's helped a lot. I've also only done 1 day on a 125 then strait up to a 600cc, much more stable, smoother throttle, better handling, better brakes and much more comfortable (being 6' 2"). I'm going to take some additional training once I've passed then take it easy for couple of months, no ride-outs with mates initially so I don't try to show off and make horrible mistakes.
Good luck whatever you choose.
Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2