BCF: Bike Chat Forums

600s

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:15 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: 600s Reply with quote

Bored at work and daydreaming about my first bike after I do my DAS. I've been thinking about the following bikes Hornet 600, SV650s, Yamaha fazer 600.

How much would you expect to pay on a year old bike of this class and which do you lot think is the best?

I'm leaning toward a Hornet at the moment just because it looks like a beast!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the condition of it and if you buy privatly or if you buy from a dealer.

Asking which is best depends on what you want it for.

Can't see how the Hornet looks much like a beast. Confused Razz

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:24 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Asking which is best depends on what you want it for.

Good performance on B roads and not too fussed about motorways.

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:

not too fussed about motorways.

Good, because there not fun at the best of times but its really hard work on a hornet.

Im paying £780 FT with no NCB's. Thats with a just turned full licence and im 20.

I didnt know weather to have a SV again or the hornet but the radiator at the front of the SV put me off it. That and i have already had one and fancied a change.

Both top bikes, but i think this hornet is going to be far more fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

SummY wrote:
That and i have already had one and fancied a change.

what was the SV like?

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

not as much BHP as the hornet, but im soon finding this hornet wont do much of anything before 7k rev where the SV would pretty happily pull away lower down.

Having said that though my next bike is gonna have to be a twin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick up for the Fazer, but that's because I've just got one! Wink

I looked at the hornet and also a Bandit, but preferred the look and feel of the Fazer. I tried the Bandit but didn't like the naked one.

I suppose it all depends on personal preference.

/subliminal modeon/ Go with the Yamaha.../subliminalmodeoff
Wink

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
subliminal modeon/ Go with the Yamaha.../subliminalmodeoff

Neutral Yes.....I'll Buy....a yamaha fazer..... Neutral

What does the Hornet sound like compared to the SV?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:39 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:

Like an inline 4 compared to a V Twin. Both pretty muffled and crap with standard cans on.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:55 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Crash it for fun wrote:

Like an inline 4 compared to a V Twin. Both pretty muffled and crap with standard cans on.

And with aftermarket cans on there?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:03 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV sounds like a little spitfire with a race can (I'm serious!). The Hornet or Fazer will be all whiny and high pitched like a jet engine.

SV is better for noise! Thumbs Up

Except... The standard SV exhaust is welded together so you have to cut the system in half with an angle grinder in order to fit a race can. Obviously this can cause difficulties at MOT time! Usually can manufacturers will supply you with a clamp that you can use to reattach your OE can though. (I know that Renegade and Wolf do!)

Incidentally, Renegade do a nice underseat system for the SV... Mmmmm!

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:13 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a big difference in acceleration between the Hornet and the SV?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:31 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:

According to PB mag's test of the 2003 bikes the hornet will do a 1/4 mile in 12.1s@114mph and the Sv will do it in 12.55s @ 109mph. Not a big difference. Top speed is 130 for the SV and 10mph more for the hornet. The 40-90 roll on (which is a far better 'real world' test) the hornet takes 12.1s and the SV 10.6s.

The SV also stops sooner than the hornet - from 70mph it stops 2 metres sooner.

The hornet makes 81bhp @ 11500rpm and 41.7ft-lb @ 9800rpm. The SV 70bhp @ 9200rpm and 44.5bhp @ 7200rpm.

The Sv is 13kg lighter but the seat is 10mm higher. Fuel capacity is the same @ 17 litres.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:41 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Crash it for fun wrote:

According to PB mag's test of the 2003 bikes the hornet will do a 1/4 mile in 12.1s@114mph and the Sv will do it in 12.55s @ 109mph. Not a big difference. Top speed is 130 for the SV and 10mph more for the hornet. The 40-90 roll on (which is a far better 'real world' test) the hornet takes 12.1s and the SV 10.6s.

The SV also stops sooner than the hornet - from 70mph it stops 2 metres sooner.

The hornet makes 81bhp @ 11500rpm and 41.7ft-lb @ 9800rpm. The SV 70bhp @ 9200rpm and 44.5bhp @ 7200rpm.

The Sv is 13kg lighter but the seat is 10mm higher. Fuel capacity is the same @ 17 litres.

Very useful mate, Cheers!

I'm I little concerned about taking an angle grinder to a new bike's exhaust though. What is the reliabilty like with the SV copared to Honda's?

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJam wrote:
Top speed is 130 for the SV and 10mph more for the hornet

You don't really want to be doing them speed on an unfaired hornet though, 90 is bad enough.

I had a full micron system on my SV and it sounded ace! One of main reasons why i will be going back to twins in the future.

I have ordered a stainless steel Scorpion can today, the one with the removable baffle thats e-marked. Thats cost me £160 inc Delivery, which ain't bad considering M&P wanted £175 + Delivery.

I don't think you would regret buying either bike, i think there both good fun!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV650S has better wind protection than the hornet S and they accelerate very well. I have never ridden a hornet so I can't comment so much on that, but I can tell you that I learned a lot from my SV and it was a great bike. Also it is possible to bore them out to 800cc without any reliability problems and their handling is easily improved. The guy from JHS Racing once took an empty SV frame to the GP frame builders Harris to see if they could improve on it. They said that they couldn't.

The main limitation of both of these bikes is probably the budget suspension. Saying that, my SV handled well enough for me, and the hornet does have poor tank range too.

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:00 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much is the lower fairing for the '03 SV650s?

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 19:50 - 15 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden an SV and a Hornet and tbh I wasn't very impressed with either. I'd advise considering the fazer, personally I think it will be more fun/rewarding in the long run. I haven't ridden one but I reckon the engine will have a bit more character than the SV's twin lump or the hornet's parallel four jobby. But then I always say inline fours are the way to go. The fazer will also more than likely have the better brakes of the three contenders.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:42 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a listen to what the SV sounds like and I think I like it. I think I prefer the hornet with a different can on it.
CBRPaul This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 22:04 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can not complain at mine and what it has taught me and the confidence it has given me and she was cheap too.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:07 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBRPaul wrote:
What about a cbr600 F Question

insurance companies won't touch me on a CBR6 until I have 1 years NCB. I've been quoted £950 TPFT on a hornet and £910 on a SV650s. Not bad considering my drink driving conviction?

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 11:48 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The sv is the sports bike between the 400's and 600's. Alot of people choose them instead of a 400. The inline 6's (fazer hornet) will be quicker, but the sv will have the tourque for mid town pootling. But at the end of the day its gunna be your ass on the bike so you decide whats best for you. My advice would be to try and test ride each, then see which you like best, you never know u might be supprised Very Happy.

Luke

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:59 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Hi
The sv is the sports bike between the 400's and 600's. Alot of people choose them instead of a 400. The inline 6's (fazer hornet) will be quicker, but the sv will have the tourque for mid town pootling. But at the end of the day its gunna be your ass on the bike so you decide whats best for you. My advice would be to try and test ride each, then see which you like best, you never know u might be supprised Very Happy.

Luke

I've never arranged a test ride for my NSR before buying it. What sort of insurance do you need to test ride a bike and are the dealers happy enough to let you?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:09 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test ride from a dealer you don't need your own insurance. All you need is a license allowing you to ride the bike, and them to think you're actually semi-serious about buying it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2