Bike advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

daiO
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:34 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Bike advice Reply with quote

Hi!

I’m considering getting a bike during the summer for off road use. I’m slightly confused about what type of bike I should get. Considering I have a very minimal amount of experience:

I’m thinking I should get a motor cross bike as they have the best off road ability. Not sure what engine size to go for (125/250) as I’d want something that’s easy to learn on but I don’t want to be in a situation where I’m bored of it having a limited amount of power. I might want to do my DAS after I gain confidence riding off road and buy a road bike. I would probably keep the motor x to use off-road.

I’m also considering getting an enduro. Not so good off road as motor-x but can be used on road as well. Would probably use on road for up to 6months gaining experience before I sell it and buy better road bike.

If anyone could also recommend suitable bikes and equipment I could use both off and on road I would be very grateful. Thanks, David

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had little experience of bike in general i would stay away from the moto-x bikes as they are a bit of a handful. My mate had a CR250 and that would scare him even though his road bike was a 600cc NordWest.

Even the 125's will be putting out 40bhp in a very fierce way.

However, you might be the sort of person you likes to do wheelies in the first 3 gears by cracking the throttle open.

Good benchmark bikes are the enduro 250-400 Aircooled bikes. 25-35bhp and a nice smooth power output. xr's, Dr.

Pick up a copy of trail bike magazine (tbm) and have a read.

Stuart

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:48 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moto X bike ain't suitable for road use. You could register it and fit lights but they were never designed for road use.

Although you can use an enduro bike on the road, most of them ain't suitable for constant road use. The more tame bikes like a drz400 are better for road use and ok for off road riding but not suited to full on moto X use. The competition bikes like the WR426 need more much more maintenance than road bike. Oil needs changing every 10-15 hours.

If you are going to buy a moto X bike, unless your large or have ridden bikes before don't buy a 250 2-stroke. They may be ok on the road for novices but they are going to be a handful off road. Better off buying a 125 2-stroke or one of the newer 250 4-strokes.

daiO
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know what you mean! I’ve ridden my brothers Cr250 and my mates old KA125. The power delivery on the CR was much more sudden. I wasn’t sure if this was because it had more power or it was just a characteristic of moto-x bikes in general. Saying that I could probably get used to it.

I was looking at a xr125 or a dt125 and using it on the road after doing a CBT but I’m not sure if I could afford the insurance straight away. I think I’d also want a lot of off road riding under my belt before I attempted riding on road anyway. It doesn’t hurt so much falling onto muddy fields!

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:00 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH if your only buying a off road bike to get experience before buying a road bike, not bother. You'd be better off spending the money on a better road bike.

A lot of people here probably never rode a bike before doing their cbt then buying a road bike. Although riding off road teaches you bike control, it teaches you nothing about road riding and riding with other traffic.

daiO
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller- I said that i would use moto-x bike off road and then buy a road bike. Sorry, my post is confusing!

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

daiO wrote:
priller- I said that i would use moto-x bike off road and then buy a road bike. Sorry, my post is confusing!

Oops, read it wrong. Sorry Very Happy

daiO
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry!

Think i would probably want to have a bike for off road on weekends as i would go with my brother on his cr.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1