Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Preperation for a move up.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 02:06 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Preperation for a move up..... Reply with quote

Well I've had my NSR for a little while now, and I've been contemplating moving up to a larger machine. While I appreciate that moving from my NSR to a bigger bike (2000/2001 R6) is probably a Quantum leap, It's something I'd really like to do. People's warnings have probably bounced off my head a little, although many people have suggested I learn to push the NSR before getting a bigger bike. So I ask all experienced members, what specifically, do I have to do to gain as much experience at "pushing" the bike in the time between now and getting my 6?

Advice gratefully appreciated Smile, flames ignored (ste) Laughing .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:11 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass your test. Then come back.

That gives at about 12 months time to play with.

I'm off to invest in some shares in the DSA.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 11:57 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Preperation for a move up..... Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Advice gratefully appreciated Smile, ste ignored

Shut up you! Rolling Eyes Razz

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:15 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right though, your in now position to start planning or asking advice of whether you should get an R6 or not since you haven't passed your test yet, in my opinion at the moment I would tell you not to get an R6 because you haven't been riding long so inexperience would kill you or the bike. I considered holding out a bit longer to save money and get an R6 before I bought the ZXR but decided not to because I knew I'd only end up crashing it.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 12:24 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remember I was considering which bike I would get before I passed my CBT. I tend to agree with you there though, only this isn't a thread about whether i should get an R6 or not, it's a thread about what can I use in my riding to better prepare me for it.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:33 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to gain more experience riding, its not a question of preparing for a bike its a simple case of having a summer pushing the bike you have as far as you can to get more riding experience for different situations.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Preperation for a move up..... Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
what specifically, do I have to do to gain as much experience at "pushing" the bike in the time between now and getting my 6?

Remove the engine Wink

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 12:38 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I just knew someone was gonna say that.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 12:40 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Preperation for a move up..... Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Remove the engine Wink

I saw that coming! Laughing Laughing

Shaun wrote:
Its a simple case of having a summer pushing the bike you have as far as you can to get more riding experience for different situations.

So basically have as many near misses as possible Confused . That can't be right. If I go on like that sooner or later I'll crash the NSR then it won't be worth anything to anyone.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:42 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Not near misses, just make yourself a faster rider. I don't mean go out and play chicken with the first truck you see, I simply mean to gain riding experience and in time become a faster rider, is that really so hard to understand?

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 12:56 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not, but I don't see what makes me a "faster rider" being of benefit, I already ride too fast Confused . Time and place etc...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:01 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride.

Now for some stuff you don't want to hear:
Why do you want an r6?
Do you want it to go fast, or to look good?
- I don't see a restricted r6 being /that/ dodgy really.

While I'm not a fast rider, I can at least hold my own on a track day etc and ride slightly quickly on the road if I'm feeling like it.
However I spent a long time on my first bike, a cg125, then went up to a ns125, then klr650 (about 40hp ish), then an NSR, then the KLR again, then the ZX6, ZX9, rd350, dr.
Of those bikes the only one I haven't crashed is the zx9 and the dr (yet, but I only just got it, watch this space Smile ).
I crashed the CG a /lot/, over ten times easily I reckon.
The only times I've crashed bikes recently has been while messing about (wheelies etc). I have managed to 'save' some quite nasty 50mph-100mph 'brown pants' moments on the zx6 and zx9. I'd attribute this to crashing the cg125 a lot; I do seem to have developed some slight 'instinctive' survival reactions (good ones not bad, which you usually do), ie had a front wheel slide as I realised I couldn't quite fit between two cars, while doing a tad over 100, got my foot down to kick it back before it became too nasty; something that can't really be 'learnt' as such.
Bad survival reactions, such as chopping the throttle when your rear slides also need to be overcome: chop the throttle on something like an r6 when the rear is sliding and you're likely to highside; keep the throttle on and you'll mostly likely come out of it or at the worst low-side. BUt would you be able to control yourself enough to keep the throttle open as the rear slips away? Again, something that can only really be learnt by experience, rather than teaching.

So the obvious answer; go crash your bike Wink (no, I'm not serious).

What it boils down to is; do you want an r6 to ride fast, or do you want an r6 to look good?
If it's the latter, then by all means go get one and either keep the 33hp in or just take it easy and don't to push it at all.
If it's the former, then whatever, I'd be taking it easy to start with, coming off the NSR. No reason you can't learn it while you're going along, but remember your mistakes can be much more costly on a 160mph bike; I'm glad I crashed my cg all those times rather than a bigger bike. So it's going to be a slower learning process, because you'll be more afraid of crashing and less willing to push the limits (or of course you'll find the limits all too quickly by crashing Neutral )

A couple of good books:
A Twist of the Wrist II; How to ride bikes fast on track/road + why they do what they do
Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook; How to ride safely on the road while riding fast.

Both very good books, Twist of the Wrist can teach you a lot about how to make your bike work as well as possible, while Motorcycle Roadcraft will tell you how to ensure you avoid the dangers of british roads.

With both however, you need to make sure you actually /do/ and /practice/ what they say, because it needs to become instinctive, just reading about it won't help.

Another obvious way to improve your riding is to do some track days. You get to push a bike on a road where there are no vehicles coming towards you, no pedestrians or drain hole covers, so you can explore your machine without outside distractions. Also it's a lot, lot safer place to crash; thus there should be less fear of exploring the limits of your bike.
Just don't expect to try pushing the r6 when you first get to the same degree you pushed the NSR on a track.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:10 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackday on an NSR? I'l love to Thumbs Up . Just con't know where, or when Confused

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:03 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pass your test.

Can't do a trackday without a full licence.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Can't do a trackday without a full licence.

Hate to say it, but yes, you can.

Many companies will accept it providing you're riding a bike you're licenced to ride. Ie for insurance purposes they expect you to be legally allowed to ride the bike on the road before you ride it on the track.

www.biketrackdays.co.uk has a list of most of the bike trackdays in the uk.

Well the NSR is quite low on power that doesn't mean you won't be able to hold your own in corners.... at Lydden Hill there was [edit]rs125s[/edit] in the fast group!

Last edited by G on 20:58 - 27 Mar 2004; edited 1 time in total

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I thought the conclusion the last time we had this argument was that the vast majority required you to have a full licence.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 19:52 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to biking myself, having held a full licence for only 7 months and no real big bike experiance, but I would say that what you need to do is get experiance.

There's no fast track way to get experiance, the number of different situations you face and miles you rack up on a smaller bike is inversly proportional to the number of times you will crash a bigger bike, in my opinion. Thumbs Up

I've learnt a lot riding my 125 through winter, I've had some small crashes and learnt what I did wrong etc. - so I won't crash in that situation again.

As most people have said, pass your test, and get more experiance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Preperation for a move up..... Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Well I've had my NSR for a little while now, and I've been contemplating moving up to a larger machine. While I appreciate that moving from my NSR to a bigger bike (2000/2001 R6) is probably a Quantum leap, It's something I'd really like to do. People's warnings have probably bounced off my head a little, although many people have suggested I learn to push the NSR before getting a bigger bike. So I ask all experienced members, what specifically, do I have to do to gain as much experience at "pushing" the bike in the time between now and getting my 6?

Advice gratefully appreciated Smile, flames ignored (ste) Laughing .

Ferchreissakes Andy,

You really do write threads that beg for flaming sometimes. Maybe we should call you Burger King rather than Pizza Boi!

It amuses me no end that only a couple of weeks ago you were so happy with the NSR and you would never sell it etc etc. Anyway I shall say no more on the subject.

My advice begins thus. If you have to ask us how you *could* push the NSR any harder, then that lends me to think that you should stick with it.

Basically I shall try to explain my reasoning thus:
I always feel like I can improve my riding. If I ever felt like I could not improve my riding skill then I would be worried. The last time I felt like that was when I still had my NS125 and I had't really learned anything about the nitty gritty of riding. The truth is, this kind of learning only comes through getting out there and riding. I'm finding this quite difficult to explain what I mean but basically you should be at a point where everything clicks, and the bike feels good to ride in all situations, but you *Really* feel like you can improve your riding but the only way to do that is on a bigger bike. Being bored isn't quite enough at your stage IMHO because I know and you must know that there is still a lot more the NSR can teach you.

Stick with the NSR, do your test, and then start to think about maybe getting a slightly bigger bike (a 400 or something). If you go straight to an R6 (33bhp or not) you will scare yourself and that sweet feeling you get when the bike just works with you will be absent.

Overall though I should probably ask this:

Why the heck are you thinking R6 before you have even done your theory?? Wink Shocked Neutral Smile

Oh and specifically, work in progressively (slowly) improving your corner speed. Thats the main area of improvement that is required in new riders IMHO. Smile

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my theory!!! Thumbs Up Laughing

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate, but this is where the really fun bit starts Very Happy where abouts are you takeing your test?

I'm afraid another opinion your not going to want to read but...
Have you looked a how much insurance will cost your for an R6? i presume from you doing the restricted test you will be <21 will anyone actually insure you at all ???
If you crash it (which i hate to say is very easy to do on a bike like this) you'd be gutted (maybe even literally too Shocked )

I reckon allot of people here have either been there done that or know somebody who has... you'd be better off with a 400 (an nc30 if you want a scarey sports bike) and get a nicer bike later..

Nobodys trying to be patronizing just realistic...

Back on topic...
Don't push the bike more than it wants to be, if you feel uncomfortable doing it then its more than likely for good reason, if you want to see what your bike will do- book a trackday like mentioned above also they will show yo how its done properly, don't do it on the road its just not worth it, even a 125 will kill you just as effectively as a 600 or 1000 Sad
Thing is going from a 125 to a bigger bike 400/600 whatever is going to take allot of getting used to, timing is different, limitations of the bike are different, get out on the road and do as much ridding as you can, just try not to get overconfident is all...

Good luck with the full test, doing your DAS will make you wonder how you kept accident free for so long without it Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I would say gain more experience. If you are buying an R6 to learn how to ride fast then you will crash, you will hurt yourself and you will cost yourself a load of money.

Personally I would say go for a middle weight sporting bike, not a balls out modern race replica. Go for a GPZ500, CB500, GS500, etc. Get 6 months to a years experience on something like that before even thinking about an R6.

Not sure how much experience everyone else had, but I had done around 25000 miles on the road before I got round to doing my test. Col just did his test and upgraded to a ZX6R, but after well over 3 years riding.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1