BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DAS Training

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:59 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: DAS Training Reply with quote

I had my first lesson this morning. Just 2 hours of driving round the training ground, but definetely good fun. Makes you realise what a piece of crap the NSR is...

The bike I used was a Yamaha XJ 600S. One problem I had was the back brake was so good on the bike I was using that I locked it on a couple of occasions. Is anyone else's NSR rear brake absolutely useless? I have to press mines right down for it to work and even then I'd have to stomp on it to get it to lock. Where as the bike I used required only a millimetre of movement to work.

This will be a bit boring to all you big bike people (hence why I posted in 'new bikers' so not to annoy you all.) But I was amazed at the fact I managed to drive around the ground and get up to 2nd gear driving around the place and hadn't even touched the throttle yet.

The amount of bad habits you didn't realise you had is unbelievable. I think I finally figured out how to do really good U-Turns now. The instructor showed me this way to do it. I was doing it in an incredibly small area. Much easier on the big bikes, you don't even need to use the throttle at all.

To all you newbies doing, or just done your training what's your experience with the change over to a big bike? What bike did you use? What did you think of it etc?

Well hope this isn't too much of a pointless post. Just got excited about it I had to tell someone. Smile Get your training started as soon as you can afford it! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaah I remember the days. Screaming round on my little NSR125, bless. Oh yeah you mentioned something about brakes on NSR's Eh?

The brakes are or were terrible on mine, I agree with the back brake doing nothing at all but mine did just lock. That was all it would do, the front was ok but I could tell how crap they were when I jumped on Shaun's RS125 and didn't realise how good the brakes on that were. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:28 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: DAS Training Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
I had my first lesson this morning. Just 2 hours of driving round the training ground, but definetely good fun. Makes you realise what a piece of crap the NSR is...

Hehe

Quote:

The bike I used was a Yamaha XJ 600S. One problem I had was the back brake was so good on the bike I was using that I locked it on a couple of occasions. Is anyone else's NSR rear brake absolutely useless? I have to press mines right down for it to work and even then I'd have to stomp on it to get it to lock. Where as the bike I used required only a millimetre of movement to work.

The brakes on a bigger bike are bigger because they have to be able to stop the bike. The disc's are bigger and so are the pads, this in turn gives you more stopping power. Just think about it, you've got a bigger bike with a more powerful engine under you, and also a heavier bike too, it needs to have the brakes to stop.

Quote:

This will be a bit boring to all you big bike people (hence why I posted in 'new bikers' so not to annoy you all.) But I was amazed at the fact I managed to drive around the ground and get up to 2nd gear driving around the place and hadn't even touched the throttle yet.

A bigger bike is easy to handle because of it's size, but you have to find your limit to the size (weight) of bike you want. The heavier the bike the more strength you will need to hold it up when walking along with it, and a good sense of balance when sitting on it.
Bikes with a bigger cc engine do not need much throttle to get them going unlike that of a 125cc or lower. It's all down to the power / torque thats produced by the engine.

Quote:

The amount of bad habits you didn't realise you had is unbelievable. I think I finally figured out how to do really good U-Turns now. The instructor showed me this way to do it. I was doing it in an incredibly small area. Much easier on the big bikes, you don't even need to use the throttle at all.

Yes, bad habits are one of the most common things all riders have, I'm not alone in this area, and nor is anyone else, we all have them, it's a matter of just looking at yourself and thinking of what you just did, and saying to yourself 'Did I do it right ?
The best place to get an idea of bad habits is at a Training School, or a ride out with a motorcycle cop.

Quote:

To all you newbies doing, or just done your training what's your experience with the change over to a big bike? What bike did you use? What did you think of it etc?

The change over to a bigger bike was heaven, the extra weight and size allowed me to handle and control the bike with ease. The NS125R was a pig in comparison to a bigger bike. On the day I did my CBT I was able to ride a GS550E around on the 'pad'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine about half a year ago..

Spend most of my time on and did my test on an ER-5 brand spanking new it was, an absolutely amazing ride compared to the cg125 i'd been tottering around on for the year previous..

Going from a smaller bike to a bigger one reminds the reason you got one in the first place, they are easyer to ride, infinitely more comfortable for longer distances (longest i ever managed on the cg was 200 miles, couldn't have done much more i don't think) and feel like they want to be on the road when its windy instead of being blown allover the road!

I did find the u-turn a little tricky but keep the revs higher and it will stabilize the bike nicely, thats the only single thing i found harder on a bigger bike but you get used to that too...

Hope you have fun doing the rest of the course and good luck mate Wink Thumbs Up

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:18 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forwards to starting my training. Can't bloody wait.

As for the rear brake on the NSR, it sucks. It really sucks even on a newer (2001) model. The front brake is good enough though, even with a pillion but I wouldn't trust it for extended braking (ie. down a long hill or something).

Roll on completion of my house sale! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1