Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Re-starting after storage (Help needed)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:43 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Re-starting after storage (Help needed) Reply with quote

Hi, I hope some of you more experienced bikers can help me out with this query:

Finally, two months after moving, I'll be going down to the smoke to get my bike back. During this time it has been stored outside but covered and as I'm new to biking I'm not really sure what checks to make before I get on and pootle off down the road again. The bike is a 53 reg Suzuki RV125 which has only done 1,200 miles. I'm a bit worried about the battery being flat but is there anything else I should be checking (obviously I'd be a bit miffed if it fell apart on me!). Is ther a risk that anything will have seized up in that time? Should I get it serviced before starting to ride it on a daily basis again?

Please be gentle with me, I don't do technical speak (at least not as far as bikes are concerned anyway Wink )

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how well prepared it was, if the fuel had been emptyed out then that would be good, chain will want throughly oiling battery will almost defenately need charging.. any throttle cables might be worth looking at and brake discs, they may well be rusted in which case get a mechanic to check them..

Thing with the petrol is it goes.. off, leave a tank of unleaded for a month and some bikes will go nowhere (or run badly), not only that it turns into gunk in the carbs, apparently spraying W40 into the air inlet can help get your bike started (high flash point) but never tryed it myself..

Might not be a problem to jump on and go, but its better to check, provided it will start and stop properly then its probably going to be ok... however AA membership is only £40 or something, say if your cdi just happened to stop working (or be replaced by a none working one) while you were in london the they would have to load it up and take you home.. hmmm..

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAARRRGHH!! I tried to use up all the fuel on my last ride but ran out about a mile from home so had to push it to a garage and put in the minimum amount (2 Litres I think!). Thanks for your advice, I guess I'll tenderly try to nurse it back to health and avoid as many costs as possible. Fortunately a mate and his BikerChick girlfriend are coming around this weekend so maybe she can run an eye over it for me.... quite frankly if a mechanic told me I hadn't fed it enough I'd probably believe them.... such is my knowledge of bikes! Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1