Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Power probs, Battery? Alternator??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:41 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Power probs, Battery? Alternator?? Reply with quote

Okay, I had a search round but didn't find anything that matched what is happening.

The bike (Kawasaki KH-125), kicks smoothly and easily. Now the problems start, all electrical. The indicators: Turn left, nothing, bring the revs up to 2K, they start to glow, up to 4K and they flicker, 5K flashes as normal.

When driving with the revs at 5K or above, indicators work just about, but touch the clutch lightly, and they work properly... Slow down and they stop working.

The head light is dimer than it should be at idle, but brightens up properly at about 2.5K.

I thought it may be the battery, but figure that even if that were the case, the alternator should power the lights and indicators fine whilst charging the battery. That being the case, I'm looking for ideas, especially as yesterday afternoon the bike just passed its MOT, so they must have been working then. Is it possible that a lead to the battery or alternator is loose or something?

Any ideas will be really appreciated, cheers. Thumbs Up

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:15 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a buggered battery to me. With the lights working as you rev higher that means that the alternator is working ok. Take the battery out and try and charge it, although you may just need to buy a new one.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:20 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. If the battery is good just lacking in charge, how much success do you think a good run without lights would have? I don't have a charger right now, and am kind of hoping that I can charge it from the alternator. Figure a new battery may end up being cheaper than a charger though Confused

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:00 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new battery will be chaeper than a charger, but a charger will be useful in the long run anyway (for when this happens again). That said, you may not be able to charge it. Do you have a volt meter? If you do see what the battery is reading.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 13:21 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jam said it sounds like the battery is duff.

In theory you should be able to charge the battery from the alternator. However if the battery is badly discharged it may never get a proper charge back. Things like the optimate battery charger reckon they can sometimes revive such batteries.

Check the levels in the battery and give it a good charge off the bike would be the best way/buy a new battery though even then you may find you still need to buy a charger to charge it up initially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, problem appears to be solved, so here's a quick rundown and final solution.

It turns out it really was simple, though I have to admit that it involved something I didn't consider. I'll go through what I did, though this shouldn't necessary be read as a guide, it may be helpful to end the topic.

Step 1: I was pretty sure the battery was flat, but to be sure I removed the battery, switched on the ignition, kicked the engine over and switched on the indicator... nothing, revved up to 4K, and I had light Smile

This confirms that the battery was not power the bike. Now I'm guessing that the battery was not charging from the alternator. The next part should have been the first thing I checked but I completely forgot about it... Embarassed

Step 2: Traced back the power line to the inline fuse. Blown. Oddly it looked as though it had blown some time ago (it does beg the question how this bike went through its MOT a couple of days ago). So I replaced the fuse.

Step 3: Okay, battery time, could possibly recharge it, but since I don't have a charger, and they tend to be twice as expensive as batteries, so for now its off to the local battery guy for a 12V (odd that cause the KH is meant to be 6... but still). Put it in, and we have life Razz

I'm guessing that everything else will work fine, but I'll check the battery electrolyte for the next couple of days, and of course the fuse to ensure it doesn't blow again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1