Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

first bike..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to New Bikers by Korn (18 Apr 2004 - 19:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

conure
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: first bike.. Reply with quote

I was on the sports bike forum, and was told to come here..

I have about 600 quid to spend on a bike, and was looking at the honda CG 125, i dont want high speeds or performance, just a way to get about to my friends and girlfriends house..could any of you give me any info about this bike, how is it, top speed, insurance for an 18 year old etc! thank you!

conure
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, i'll be riding on cbt, what will the top speed be?

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 60 mph I think insurace wouldn't be that high but you can get better bikes for that sort of money.

conure
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

like what?

conure
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a copy of bike trader or look in the back of auto trader, thats your best bet for prices. You'll prob find an old DT or something. Go to autotrader.co.uk register with it and click on bike trader. Also check out ebay Thumbs Up Hope this helps.

P.S Also look on the exchange and mart section on this very forum!
Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:45 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top speed should be about 65mph.
They sip petrol (120mpg should be achievable) and are pretty simple to maintain. Ideal first bike, though don't expect much from the performance (I regretted not getting a better bike when I got mine).
If you're going to be using dual carrigeways (ie 70mph roads) I wouldn't reccomend it though.

For the money you could look at an old 2stroke sporty 125, like a rg125, ns125, tz125 or similar. Insurance will be more, but the bike will grow with your abilities as such; as you get better you won't reach the bikes limits nearly as quickly.

Personally I'd look at spending a bit less on the cg maybe (can be got for less) and use some of the money to get some half decent kit or to do your full test.

conure
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 19 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my mum will pay for kit, cbt etc..but i have to buy the bike, i could get 700, possibly even 800...can you tell me all decent 125s i could get, like who they're made by also (for searching on biketrader)

thanks!

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 20:33 - 19 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nsr 125 (honda) Or the NS 125 also honda.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 19 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, NS's are cheap, moderately fast for age..
but a pain when they break Razz

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have ya thought about getting finance on a new bike? I just got myself the new honda CBR 125, £2349 brand new, excellent bike for first time riders cos their so easy to handle, (despite everone seemingly hating them, but they dont know cos they dont have one Razz ) if ya get it on finance you could be paying as little as £100 a month depending which company you go through. you do end up paying a little more in the long run through interest but its worth it becuase new bikes have a full 2 year warranty and you dont have to get them MOT'd for 3 years, plus the sales company usually through in loads of extra's free of charge. tis worth looking into, especialy if you have a job and a regular income.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just got myself the new honda CBR 125, £2349 brand new, excellent bike for first time riders cos their so easy to handle, (despite everone seemingly hating them, but they dont know cos they dont have one )

I gave rode them and they are horrible why spend loads of cash on you're first bike when you are going to crash it? Why put you're self in debt for a thing like the cbr 125? I think you should get some brains before handing out useless advise.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2349!?!?! are you mad! you deserve a slap for purchasing a CBR in the first place lol
but you could have 2 rather mint condition NSR's for that! and whats worse is you got finance, you'll be paying that off for how many years now?

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinn84 wrote:
I just got myself the new honda CBR 125, £2349

I wouldn't fork out that much money unless i was intending to keep the bike for a long time (2 years+) and it wouldn't be my first choice for a 125.

You can pick up tzr125's very cheap, performance is good (80mph+). My mate has just bought a H-reg TZR125 for £600, its in very good condition with low mileage (20,000 miles) and also has a powervalve system fitted so its much faster than a normal UK model (aroud 95mph). He never rode a bike before and is learning very well and he says the bike is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i dont know what problem ppl seem to have with the cbr 125, i test rode loads of 125's before making my decision, the nsr seemed too unreliable, i tried a honda shadow and that was pathetic, you have to force the damn thing round corners, i didn't pay finance either, i was mearly making the point that if you dont have enuf money to buy outright you could consider it for a new model. and i do intend on keeping it, it does everything i want it to and more its cheap to run, no problem with parts etc, and the insurance catagory is low unlike the nsr. anyway i love it so meh to you all lol

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinn84 wrote:
the nsr seemed too unreliable

?What you on about, NSR's are reliable, unless you rode a bucket! Wink

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, it was a 4 year old one if i remember right. obviously one bike doesn't represent them all, but i found it weird to handle, seemed to have a mind of its own.

i stick by my decision, i've had it a while and only had one problem with it which was easily fixed. never crashed or come off it, i'd recomend the cbr to anyone. however everyone is different and ppl like different bikes.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinn84 wrote:
however everyone is different and ppl like different bikes.

Tis true Karma

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the CBR is for the little people in todays society
atleast you never got finance..
he does have a point mind, 2t's are very unreliable compared to 4t's but its down to how they are taken care of and used. I couldn't stop laughing when i sat on the cbr though, its a pure microbike!

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:23 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, your totally right, like i said ppl like different bikes, i'm only small, the cbr is perfect for me, everything is where i want it, handle bar, gear leaver brakes etc, the nsr was ok for size, but i tried out an aprillia rs125 and cos of my size, it was a real strain to control the bike,

plus the rs 125 is shit for a new timer, they smash so easily, plus parts are a shitter to buy.

i've only been biking for a few months so i need something that i can control to build my confidence up, the cbr handles like a dream, no matter how much shit you give it, it wont give up on you.

kevingranger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: the cbr 125 Reply with quote

ive just bought a cbr 125 and get it in just under 2 weeks in time for my 17th birthday. my mate has got one and it does 90mph standard when its run in. The nsr will only do around 75mph tops restricted. The cbr may not look as good and have as much street credability as the nsr/rs/mito but it is a better investment for someone who is learning and aiming to keep it for a cuple years.
kev

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it does 90mph standard when its run in.

I warn you, you are about to get slated for suggesting something so ridiculous, by a load of forum members!

It may well do an indicated 90mph (down a steep hill with the wind behind you).

Measure this speed accurately and I suspect it'll be no more than 80mph.

kevingranger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate was on his cb400 behind him and he said it was doing 85mph although my mate with the cbr said it was 90mph. The cbr has the same acceleration as a 2 stroker 125 as well as him and his mate whos got an rg125 race and are level up to around 70mph
kev

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:16 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha

no sorry
i've had my cbr125 for about 2 month, flat out in 6th gear on a straight road it will touch 72mph, you will have to push it down a 1 in 5 hill before it will touch anything near 90, and even when its going at 70 the revs are close to 8th so its not recomended to take it any further,

who ever told you it went to 90 easily is lying thru his teeth. plus dont forget ur only 17, if ur cought doing 90 on it you'll never get insurance as long as you live so whats the point in trying to get it to do 90??

oh yeah, dont believe a word other ppl say, the cbr 125 is a brilliant bike and i love it, everybody seems to hate them but they dont have a clue Razz

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres 2 of them which i pass on my journey to college every morning. They look OK from a distance, but then you get close, they're as nice as the DNA Sick
Only good thing about one of them, it has the Micron end can which is nice and shiny Wink

the riders must be midgets though. i don't see how its possible to ride something so small! i'd rather road register a minimoto bike because at least then you can feel daft within reason Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2