Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

first bike..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to New Bikers by Korn (18 Apr 2004 - 19:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:35 - 03 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The CB400 speedo will over read as well. Given the CBR rider is probably exagerating, take the CB400 reading and knock 10% off it. 77 sounds about right. Speedos over read. My RS125 has managed to indicate 115mph on level ground, a speed that there is no way it was doing. My 1200 Bandit managed 155mph indicated on the drag strip, yet in reality was managing 136.5mph.

Performance wise the CBR should be very marginally faster than a restricted NSR. The RS in restricted form should be quicker (it is nearer to the legal limit for a learner than the CBR). The difference is that both the NSR and the RS can easily be destricted to be far quicker.

All the best

Keith

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new RS125 last week, it wasn't the most clever thing I ever did, dropped it on day two, and I'm having to run the engine in, It also not the easiest to learn on. On the upside every time I go out, I have a huge smile on my face, and I think theres a lot of space to grow in terms of skill on the bike. Only 300 more km and I'll be able to take her over 6000 revs (rabid panting)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
I bought a new RS125 last week, it wasn't the most clever thing I ever did, dropped it on day two, and I'm having to run the engine in, It also not the easiest to learn on. On the upside every time I go out, I have a huge smile on my face, and I think theres a lot of space to grow in terms of skill on the bike. Only 300 more km and I'll be able to take her over 6000 revs (rabid panting)

did you have any riding experience prior to purchasing the RS?
if not, it would have been a LOT more sensible to go for something far cheaper and user friendly https://www.derbi-club.com/forum/images/smilies/clown.gif
what was the damage like?

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimal, I would agree, its not he easiest to learn on, slow control is a bastard, damage wasn't bad, spot scratches, mostly to the decals, was at 0 kilometers per hour trying to do a turn up a steep hill Embarassed managed to get me between it and the tarmac mostly. Its too late to take it back now, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to learn fast. I do love it though. Any tips would be much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol it happens unfortunately, especially to new riders. you really want something like a cheap 20 year old CG125 to learn on, because they run on a cup of petrol for a million miles and if you drop them, just pick it up, dust yourself off and continue on your way Wink
just need to take it easy next time, i hate slow maneuvers myself Razz
i've been riding bikes since i was a kid, even ride my dads FZR1000 every now and then, but i still got a cheap 125 because its not necessary having an expensive one. but saying that, i'd much rather invest more into a better bike than a cheap one just for it to go bang about 3 weeks later Mad
i might get myself an RS125 later in the year, all depends on how i can fit on it because of my size Razz

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:29 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight is a great thing, needless to say my dad (ex biker) tried to warn me of the RS125, but would I be told, he explained the dropping stuff etc. I think it was like a red rag to a bull, I had set my heart on it by then and, did think about buying second hand, but shiny things in the shop, got carried away, new credit card etc... and me I wouldn't drop a bike!!

Ah well, really beautiful bike, "accidentally" had it over 6000 revs yesterday cant wait to go back there, long ride tonight after practising left and right turn and slow control on an industrial estate and the next night and the next.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 00:42 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plus the rs 125 is shit for a new timer

i never even touched anything with gears, and it took me 3 hours of riding to get the hang of, boy racers who want the fastest bike and ride them too fast and crash them.
i don't go fast unless i know its safe its a pretty good bike and not as unreliable as some people think if there ridden properly and maintained well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Re: the cbr 125 Reply with quote

kevingranger wrote:
ive just bought a cbr 125 and get it in just under 2 weeks in time for my 17th birthday. my mate has got one and it does 90mph standard when its run in. The nsr will only do around 75mph tops restricted. The cbr may not look as good and have as much street credability as the nsr/rs/mito but it is a better investment for someone who is learning and aiming to keep it for a cuple years.
kev

TIP: Most of the people on here have had an NSR\RS when they were learning (including myself). Therefore not a good idea to come on and talk BS about 125 speeds - we've seen all these posts by your kind before.

My NSR hit 85 restricted and 100 when I de-restricted it.

The CBR will never do 90!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

The CB400 speedo will over read as well. Given the CBR rider is probably exagerating, take the CB400 reading and knock 10% off it. 77 sounds about right. Speedos over read. My RS125 has managed to indicate 115mph on level ground, a speed that there is no way it was doing. My 1200 Bandit managed 155mph indicated on the drag strip, yet in reality was managing 136.5mph.

All the best

Keith

Exactly, The guy who was following this '90mph' cbr125 said his bike did 115mph restricted Confused Laughing .

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer cb400 speedo inacuraccy.
My cbr400 is really unacurate...35 is actually 30, becasue i measured it against my bros resricted ped...

Fellony
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back to the subject, theres an NSR 125 supersprint N reg in bike trader up for £995 get some1 to check out how good it is maybe you could haggle that down a little, as you may get a quality bike there for a good price Smile
Tom

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike was 1986 and cost about £300 and its done great to learn on. I'd never buy new or from a dealer.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:22 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinn84 wrote:
Have ya thought about getting finance on a new bike? I just got myself the new honda CBR 125, £2349 brand new, excellent bike for first time riders cos their so easy to handle, (despite everone seemingly hating them, but they dont know cos they dont have one Razz ) if ya get it on finance you could be paying as little as £100 a month depending which company you go through. you do end up paying a little more in the long run through interest but its worth it becuase new bikes have a full 2 year warranty and you dont have to get them MOT'd for 3 years, plus the sales company usually through in loads of extra's free of charge. tis worth looking into, especialy if you have a job and a regular income.

Where to begin?

Well - I got my NSR for £2500 at only £55 per month. So £100 per month is very high.

A motorbike MOT is only £15.20 and a lot cheaper than your £100 per month.

They throw in 'loads of extras free of charge' as you put it because the salesman is about to go on a 2-week luxury cruise on the commision he's just made. They are not free, nothings free, you've basically paid for the stuff in the cost of the bike - the dealership will NEVER lose money. Ok - it's nice to get stuff which you would normally have paid for - but then you could've haggled and got a few hundred quid of the cost of the bike and bought the stuff alot cheaper yourself elsewhere.

Bad advice Thumbs Down

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2