Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What next? Now MAG are joining in!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all/most of us agree that the training side needs to be sorted out/is inadequate and generally agree with what MAG are saying.

The reason that I originally posted the story was not only the "horribly written article", which I completely agree is badly written, but the fact the MAG also seems to have published an attack on a group of the biking public be it deliberately or not. Probably criticizing a good majority of those that keep MAG funded and in fact do not recognize themselves as those that have been criticized. I accept what Keith has said about the article being butchered but they should really be more careful, we all know how notorious the British press are.

All I was trying to say was at this time with all the pressure that is being applied by anti-bike groups, the government and "top celebs", the last thing we need is in fighting. We need to present a united front and be seen to be helping ourselves and being constructive not damaging. If we attack one particular group we attack biking in general because these people do not see the difference.

Last edited by dainesefreak on 14:14 - 12 May 2004; edited 1 time in total

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith you are missing the point I think

I agree, people do die, often needlessly and we all have to take responsibility for our own actions

but

and it's a big BUT

if we allow this to go on and do nothing to change the attitudes of the non bike riding public and the BAB brigade at the same time then we WILL be legislated against

it's in our hands at the moment

but for how long

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel MAG have their hearts in the right place on this one, although their arguments and suggestions are all flawed. Whatever you think of the government 'doing something' to reduce the casualties - as long as the accidents rates go up, then we only have ourselves to blame.

As for MAG's argument against speed and for restrictions etc, I think that argument is the wrong one tbh. What we are looking at is BAB's losing it on left handers, probably sub-50mph and throwing themselves into walls/cars etc. A BAB can still go round a blind left hander at 60 odd on a 125 FFS. The argument is all wrong and will most likely affect the rest of the biking community rather than the BAB's as intended.

Oh and that article was absolute biased shite. Are there no bikers in the national press?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:27 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mr C wrote:
if we allow this to go on and do nothing to change the attitudes of the non bike riding public and the BAB brigade at the same time then we WILL be legislated against

Sorry, but I think you are wrong. We are rapidly becoming a far more risk averse country. Whatever we do those against bikes will just continue to demand more changes. Laws are applied like ratchets, and all that giving in to their demands will do is to at another click of pressure to us.

What is needed is for everyone to stop trying to interfere with others actions, and not just concerning motorcycles. People do die and people want to do the activities that have a chance of killing them. Personally I can't stand fish, cannot see the point of fishing and could argue that the numbers of people killed fishing each year is a waste and thus it should be banned (more people die fishing for sport than die racing motorcycles in the UK, generally by connecting themselves to an overhead power line with a c/f rod, or having their waders fill with water on a fast flowing river). However I am not arguing for it to be banned. Same for smoking (kills about 40 times as many people as die on the roads) or drinking (kills about 10 time as many people as die on the roads). Same for horse riding and cycling.

Will training help? I am really unsure whether it will. Your example of pushing the bike down harder being something you know from experience. However there is a very big difference from knowing to do this and actually doing it when the front wheel has just tried to go walkabout. Sticking a learner on a bike on a skid pan and telling them to corner as fast as they can, controlling the skids, is not going to happen.

Maybe the solution is to force everyone who passes their test to ride through a winter on a CZ125 with Barum tyres, which will either scare the crap out of them or give them superb skid control techniques.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:30 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
as long as the accidents rates go up, then we only have ourselves to blame.

Accident rates are still falling. It is the total number killed that is rising, but then bike mileages are rising. I heard reports that tyre sales (a crude measure of bike mileages) almost doubled last year.

All the best

Keith

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of statistics - could the reason that a higher percentage of road deaths are motorcyclists be that cars are being manufactured to be stronger and safer so the occupants can withstand bigger accidents, whilst bikes are basically no more protective than they've ever been?
Just a thought... Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 14:37 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath, as far as I am aware they are made to be softer! they are designed to impact pedestrians etc.

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Accident rates are still falling. It is the total number killed that is rising

Sorry, yes you are right. I should have said 'If they rise' etc.

Also, the trouble is with the average age of a rider who dies rising, it invariably affects a larger number and a broader spectrum of people. So, people tend to notice these deaths more. In the old days when one of my great-uncles died as a youngster on a bike, people just shrugged and had the "what did he expect being so young" etc. Nowadays when an Accountants manager doesn't return home after a Sunday blast to Wales people start looking at other areas to blame....

By the way - amazed no-one has mentioned the state of our roads yet. They are getting worse and no doubt a much worse hazard than a left hander...

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockpits of cars are being reinforced, but crumple zones are being improved, a boon for peds on the road and good for car drivers. Does make you wonder whether anything can be done structually to improve the safety of bikes for their riders.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith

my argument is not for banning anyhting, quite the reverse

by training people better we may avoid the inevitable restriction legislation and if it saves the life of a 40 something father of two then hey - bonus eh?

and hardly anyone is killed racing bikes as the mortal risks have been removed by legislation aimed at the tracks and race organisers - but shed loads more needless deaths occur on our roads than on our rivers

and the cornering example has nothing to do with skidding and everything to do with knowing your machine and its capabilities

how many R1s do you see with 1" chicken strips? - these guys simply do not know how far you CAN lean a modern sportsbike whilst maintaining more than adequate grip and so they opt for the opposite and far worse course of action - braking

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Maybe the solution is to force everyone who passes their test to ride through a winter on a CZ125 with Barum tyres, which will either scare the crap out of them or give them superb skid control techniques.

Now that sounds like a much more sensible plan, I'm all for that! Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:21 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
By the way - amazed no-one has mentioned the state of our roads yet. They are getting worse and no doubt a much worse hazard than a left hander...

Definatly. Suspect it is everywhere, but they are well in to "surface dressing" round here. That is where they put a tiny bit of tar down then scatter tons of gravel around in the hope that some will stick. Lethal, and to make things worse it doesn't take long for the gravel that does stick to come loose in stress areas (such as corners and the braking areas for them), leaving a very slippery thin layer of tar. They then try the same again to fix the problem they have caused with it.

Mr C wrote:
my argument is not for banning anyhting, quite the reverse

by training people better we may avoid the inevitable restriction legislation and if it saves the life of a 40 something father of two then hey - bonus eh?

My feeling is that forcing people to do this training is (slightly) restrictive legislation, and will just hasten the really restrictive legislation. Just like the way that speed limits get ever tighter, the rules get ever tougher, and taking on one tough rule just brings them a stage closer to the next tougher rule.

Mr C wrote:
and hardly anyone is killed racing bikes as the mortal risks have been removed by legislation aimed at the tracks and race organisers - but shed loads more needless deaths occur on our roads than on our rivers

Not by legislation. Tracks are basically safe (unlike the roads where they have given up fixing dangerous sections of road). Yes plenty of people do die on the road, and some of those are needless. Unfortunatly at the end of the day the only way to avoid them almost completely is to ban motorcycles, and indeed ban most people from controlling a vehicle.

Mr C wrote:
and the cornering example has nothing to do with skidding and everything to do with knowing your machine and its capabilities

Unfortunatly it does have something to do with skidding. My comments were based on what I did a few weeks ago, going into a field. I know I should have pushed it in harder, but it is a very difficult thing to do when you have only just managed to catch the front end.

Mr C wrote:
how many R1s do you see with 1" chicken strips? - these guys simply do not know how far you CAN lean a modern sportsbike whilst maintaining more than adequate grip and so they opt for the opposite and far worse course of action - braking

True point, but the trouble with that is that to learn such skills means pushing the bike. Not only is this not likely to ever be encouraged, but would lead to them failing their test currently, and is the kind of activity that those controlling the roads would like to see disappear.

All the best

Keith

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:17 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed we all ride motorbikes because of george cluney and ewan mcgregor Laughing

What a pile of $hit Thumbs Down

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:22 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
indeed we all ride motorbikes because of george cluney and ewan mcgregor Laughing

What a pile of $hit Thumbs Down

Yeah - everyone knows it's coz of Easy Rider and we'd all own Harleys if we had the choice *a-hem*
Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:22 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
indeed we all ride motorbikes because of george cluney

Because of an American soap opera actor Laughing .

craigT19 wrote:
and ewan mcgregor Laughing

Well, in that case can I have a real light sabre as well.

All the best

Keith

RSixer03
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:44 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the Association of Chief Police Officers to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the message is the same: the balding funsters are out of control

Thats a first never been called a "balding Funster" before

i think i just found a new respect for the police
Middle Finger

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points made here. But I just have to say....
What on earth is all that rubbish in the article about "celebrities" having bikes and being involved in accidents? Cant say any of us were "Egged on" by losers such as George Clooney having a bike. I didn't know any of the people listed in that had bikes?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pile of w*nk. Alan Titchmarsh f*ck off and sort out some bints garden. Tosser!

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I blame Euan McGregor and now I blame George (He's a biker looney) Clooney, its thier fault they made me do it.

Panther
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Kilmeny Fane-Saunders, editor of the Radio Times Guide to Films lives on the B1527, a scenic road which runs through the western edge of the national park. It ought to be idyllic: instead it is known as the Yorkshire TT."

Don't know that road, could it possibly be the B1257...just a little point of accuracy ...

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The only way I can see you will lower deaths if 1. You ride less miles. 2.Dont get a bike.

This obviously isnt going to happen, If one person runs acrross a mind field he may servive, but if he dies the statistic is 1. If 100 people run accross the and 50 people die, 50 is now the statistic. The number has increased 1000% but nothing has changed no mines were added etc, just more people decided to risk it. Sorry to put it in such a simple annalergy, but thats how simple it it. Until the gouvernment realize, the more we do something slightly risky, the more chance we have of injury.

You could say "ban" bikes, but as other people have reffered to, you could easily ban "walking up ladders" obviously stupid.

I wonder what the probability of me die would be if I did a parachute jump twice a day everyday (about as much as I ride my bike) then tell me hpw likely Im going to die. Yet nothing is said about this. Why I dont know, bah I think im babbling so ill stop now.

The way I see it is bikers are in the minority, therefore an easy target, motocyclists to car drivers outweigh us proabably 20 to 1 maybe more. Therefore when it comes to public opinion, elections, refferendums, we will be an easy target to get the "statistics" down. So the gouvenment can sit smugley in parliament and say blah blah blah.

We all know the risks, as do the bungeee jumper, parachutists, freee diver etc. Let us have our 1 passion in our robotic 9 to 5 office job, ready meal lives. Id rather die on my bike at 40 then falling down the stairs because ive just shit myself while struggling to get to the toilet on my zimmer frame at 70.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:41 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
sv_cath wrote:
Not wanting to play devil's advocate, but I do see where MAG are coming from - bike deaths have gone up and something does need to be done. There are a lot of people getting straight onto 1000cc bikes and killing themselves and giving the rest of us a bad reputation in the process.
We do need to help ourselves by supporting any ideas that make biking safer without restricting the amount of fun we can have!
Just my opinion....

I agree that something needs to be done about the deaths and casualty figures, but surely MAG should not be specifically pointing the finger at a group and basically shouting to the world "It's their fault not ours". Even if that's the truth there are more subtle ways to go about it. Constructive opinions and advice are surely the way to go, not flaming in the press.

Face it it is soooooooooo easy to point at the pillocks who cannot ride the bikes they have, who keep on crashing them. Unless we are seen to be regulting ourselves we will be regulated by those who have no idea of what it is like to ride.

Every Dainese clad wazzock I see screaming along , over taking on blind bends, and leaving huge streaks of rubber behind as they completely overcook a nice gentle bend on the way in , is another nail in the coffin... the safety nazis lurve you lot. The rest of us, who enjoy wicking it on , and eventually overtake you anyhow as soon as you get into traffic know this and despair.

Of course those responsible for getting the rest of us into deep doddoo with the plod due to an inability to ride with any style or considerayion , will no doubt just move to another hobby... Sad

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:50 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:

The reason that I originally posted the story was not only the "horribly written article", which I completely agree is badly written, but the fact the MAG also seems to have published an attack on a group of the biking public be it deliberately or not. Probably criticizing a good majority of those that keep MAG funded and in fact do not recognize themselves as those that have been criticized. I accept what Keith has said about the article being butchered but they should really be more careful, we all know how notorious the British press are.

All I was trying to say was at this time with all the pressure that is being applied by anti-bike groups, the government and "top celebs", the last thing we need is in fighting. We need to present a united front and be seen to be helping ourselves and being constructive not damaging. If we attack one particular group we attack biking in general because these people do not see the difference.

Hmmm I agree in principle with what you say... but the majority of BAB's are NOT MAG or BMF members , they refuse memberships a they often state " I do not want to be seen as a motorcyclist. I only ride at weekends and trackdays" . Hmmm, they ride a motorcycle, ergo they are a motorcyclist... they casue the aggro , but they do not see themselves as being bothered, they have their "fun" sell the bike after a summer and buy a classic sports car or yacht, then after a bit find a new hobby... i've met 'em , loads of times. Sad

Meanwhile we who ride a damn site more are left picking up the pieces left for us after "Big Nanny" brings in legislation after legislation from Europe and pressue from the Ramblers and the NIMBYS.

Doesn't it make sense to pay up and help fund groups like MAG and the BMF ?

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:51 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
claiming that packs of riders are racing at speeds of up to 180 miles per hour.

I am sure they are and when they get to the corner they sprout wings and take off into the sky.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 05:17 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was annoyed that I lost my MAG membership card. Ah well it's no longer a source of worry to me.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3