Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Enduro/Offroad bike sugestions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:23 - 22 Sep 2004    Post subject: Enduro/Offroad bike sugestions Reply with quote

Guys i'm looking for guides on buying an enduro bike,

Anyone got any recommendations?, i have about 2 grand to spend. I will be commuting a lot on road every day to college 27 miles there and back. But at the weekends i want it to be able to handle lots of offroad action, i was thinking maybe xr250 or dr350, possibly a 2 stroke like a crm250. Needs to be pretty light tho, as i'm only small Sad

anyone know any good enduro riding or offroad sites, i've been trying google for hours, but no where has anything on the bikes, only tracks.

cheers all

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule the CRM out if your commuting.

DR350 is ideal but they are one of the tallest trail/enduro bikes going, I mean they are /really/ tall.

Not sure how tall XR's are though.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DR350 will be perfect for you. Plenty of power, handle great on and off road, cheap to buy in reasonably good condition.

Only problem is the seat height, they are a fairly tall bike, but that could be solved by adjusting the shock slightly.

[edit] Even the XR's have a high seat. [/Edit]

Jimmythe1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.bikes

My advice mate,

£2000 is a fairly good budget. Get a cheap road bike to go to college, and a proper off road machine like a cr250 or somthing for the weekend.

Sod trying to combine the two, you'll have nothing but problems. For intance, going off road means you fall off lots, damaging controls, indicators - you'll loose your numberplate and not even know it! Believe me i've been there.

Keeping your bike roadworthy (i.e. MOT standard) will all go out the window when you go out on the trails at the weekend.

Besides having a highly strung trail bike is great offroad, but round town its just rubbish. Likewise, something reliable that is ok to ride on the road will be crap off road.

Two bikes are better than one!
Cappish Wink

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 23 Sep 2004    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

What you want is a klr 600 Smile
and a Gs500/ Cb 500 thats what i am goign to do.

Thats looks good to me Laughing
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=33067
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:03 - 23 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna get a dr350, but they're too heavy for me off road, and they dont like starting after they've got too hot when you've fallen off.

I thought about a cheap roadbike (cg125 Very Happy) and an offroader but, insuring both at 18 on 50 quid a week is a nightmare Sad i cant work anymore as i'm in college all day.

I think xr250 could be my bag, been recommended lots, excellent off road and not bad onroad, they dont have indicators to get broken either Very Happy but they have lights

Can anyone solve my dilemma ?

cheers for all replies so far

klr600 is a bit too big for me bob ;]

Roo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 23 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha serrow, Loads to choose from for £2000 plenty cheap to insure low seat height. Using a trail bike on road you'll get through a fortune in tyres though.
Have a look at www.klxzone.co.uk

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 Sep 2004    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

Roo wrote:
Yamaha serrow,

^^ dont even bother looking, the Xr125 is allot better and so is an xt250 you would be bored in about 3min flat and couldnt ride 27miles on it will out dieing of wrist strain Laughing

Havent been on a Xr250 but if Titot's 125 is anything to go by get one of them as that was sweet Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 23 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a go on a serow before, didnt really like it Sad

Roo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 24 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only trying to help. What about a CRF 230? Might have to save a bit more though.

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:07 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry roo mate, hope that didnt sound nasty ! Embarassed

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: bikes Reply with quote

Roo wrote:

Have a look at www.klxzone.co.uk

Thats a great web site Thumbs Up

27 miles is a long way to commute esp if you to keep knobblys on, still recon the 2 bike approch is better.

I have had loads of fun on my old dt125 (see video section Wink ) but they are very high though i have heard you can get a lowering kit for them. very cheap and dosnt matter if you look like an idiot getting on if you only use it off road Very Happy

If you are set on one bike then the Dr350/xt350 is going to be your best bet, you could get the seat foam reduced and try and lower it ( drz has a lowering kit as well actually) the thing is about Duel purpose bikes is you will have to compromise Rolling Eyes

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:21 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the DRZ/DR is they are /really/ high

I mean very high.

I'm not exactly tall, 5"7 I think Rolling Eyes and can get both feet down on my WR400 in motocross trim, but sat on a drz400 and couldn't even get one foot down when it was on the sidestand LaughingLaughing

Bear that in mind before you get dissapointed with it being too tall, you might get on it and ride it, but try getting on it on a steep muddy wet hill when your shattered.... that'll change your mind! Very Happy

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
but try getting on it on a steep muddy wet hill when your shattered.... that'll change your mind! Very Happy

trick is not to stop Laughing

when i had full mx tyre on the back of the dt125 the knobbles were so big i had to be in tippy toes Shocked

If the dr/Drz is that tall then look at Xt350's. i had one of them and it wasnt very tall as i rember Thinking ( the shock was F**ked though Rolling Eyes )

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:03 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im quite up for the 2 bike approach but, with 2 grand, do i spend 1500 on a well sexy enduro, and 500 on a honda cg Wink OR buy a secondhand bandit 600 or something for road and a cheap offroader.

which way round ?!

jayluvmito
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:20 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been offerd a nice crm250 for £1200, is this a good price? its a mk1

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I bought my crm250 mk1 for 450 quid and sold it for 770.

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: bikes Reply with quote

forgot my dads xt250 is for sale atm
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=311537#311537
Very low in the saddle great little bike.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A KLR250 might not be a bad choice, depending on how seriously you want to off road. If its going to do enduro work, MX tracks, Jumps etc, then nothing less than an XR250/WR250F/KLX250/300 is going to be up to it. The 2stroke choices like the CRM are tough, but they are pricey, as everyone knows they are so good! you could try looking for a KDX200, or RMX250, as these are just as good off road as the CRM, but likely to be slightly cheaper. For just a bit of trail riding, the KLR250 wouldnt be too bad, its reasonably nippy on the road, (23bhp/80-85mph) and isnt that tall either. Ive got a KMX200, but it would get to be a pain if i had to ride 27miles to work , as it will only do 70mile on a tank, and id be filling it up as much as id be riding it lol!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR250 is a farm bike, sorry but it won't do MX tracks or anything more hectic than green laning and can't be compared to the likes of a WR250F!

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
XR250 is a farm bike, sorry but it won't do MX tracks or anything more hectic than green laning and can't be compared to the likes of a WR250F!

Rolling Eyes just because it doesnt look as flashy, lol. For a first off road bike it would be fine i kicked most peoples ass's up track on my dt125 with road tires on(though allot of the time i probly "looked" Wink like i was almost crashing).

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:38 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: bike Reply with quote

Smoto Bob wrote:
YamsR6 wrote:

Rolling Eyes just because it doesnt look as flashy, lol. For a first off road bike it would be fine i kicked most peoples ass's up track on my dt125 with road tires on(though allot of the time i probly "looked" Wink like i was almost crashing).

I don't mean looks, the suspension and power isn't up to that of the 250F etc.. trust me I looked into all this before buying my 400...

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: bike Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:

I don't mean looks, the suspension and power isn't up to that of the 250F etc.. trust me I looked into all this before buying my 400...

Well unless you mean the latest YZ250F which is going to cost a fortune and puts out less than any 1990 125 mx bike.

Who the hell would take a wr250 to an mx track and it wouldnt make a difference Xr250/wr250 your still going to have trouble getting airborn Laughing and eat allot of mud

Last edited by Smoto Bob on 22:46 - 26 Sep 2004; edited 1 time in total

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:46 - 26 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: bike Reply with quote

Smoto Bob wrote:
YamsR6 wrote:

Well unless you mean the latest YZ250F then iits going ot cost a fortune and put out less than any 1990 125 mx bike.

Who the hell would take a wr250 to an mx track and it wouldnt make a difference Xr250/wr250 your still going to have trouble getting airborn Laughing

That's bollocks, don't seem to have a problem on my 400F with moto wheels!

I'm sure a WR250F will go round an Mx track just as well with a decent rider! Razz

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you tell him yams !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2