BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

r1_lad
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:50 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Supermoto! Reply with quote

I've got a mate with a suzuki DRZ400 all supermoto'd up and I think it's got me hooked on the idea of getting myself a supermoto. I've always been a fan of sportsbikes but since riding the DRZ i think i'm starting to like this supermoto lark!
His bike is just so much fun to ride! I like the way that you can have a lot of fun at much lower speeds than my bike, much less of a license looser and so much fun hacking it round corners and roundabouts!
Also theres the risk of me dropping the r1 over the winter and becoming a very poor man after repairing fairings as i have to ride my bike every day to work even in the ice/snow so a supermoto makes sense there (it was a bit hairy last year on the gixxer).

Only trouble is, i really don't fancy selling the r1, love it too much so thinking about getting both. So my question is to all you supermoto'ers out there (yams, smoto bob etc) how far would £1-2k get me in the supermoto world? Should i buy a motorcross bike and supermoto it up myself or just look at bikes already converted? What makes/models should i be looking at? Also for anyone that knows about insurance is it possible to have 2 bikes on 1 policy and if so is it going to cost me much more to add a supermoto bike to my policy?

Just toying with the idea really working out if it's going to be possible.

Cheers guys.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:29 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Supermoto! Reply with quote

r1_lad wrote:
I've got a mate with a suzuki DRZ400 all supermoto'd up and I think it's got me hooked on the idea of getting myself a supermoto. I've always been a fan of sportsbikes but since riding the DRZ i think i'm starting to like this supermoto lark!

Another converted Clapping

r1_lad wrote:
His bike is just so much fun to ride! I like the way that you can have a lot of fun at much lower speeds than my bike, much less of a license looser and so much fun hacking it round corners and roundabouts!

A lot of people say this, and I thought it too before I got my WR, personally I'm a lot more likely to lose my licence on the WR than my R6, I've had to stop commuting on the WR because I'm worried about getting nicked .. you just /can't/ ride a supermoto sensibly.. if you can then there is something wrong with you and you shouldn't have a moto Laughing

r1_lad wrote:
Also theres the risk of me dropping the r1 over the winter and becoming a very poor man after repairing fairings as i have to ride my bike every day to work even in the ice/snow so a supermoto makes sense there (it was a bit hairy last year on the gixxer).

Some of the more race orietated newer motards such as WR, YZ, EXC etc aren't the cheapest of things, they are cheaper to crash, my WR has been dropped numerous times and it still looked good, I only bought new plastics as my old ones were getting a bit worn and old looking, but not beyond use... but I want to keep those for off-roading - but although cheaper to crash they cost a lot to run, they do break and they cost lots to fix... that's the thing with them though as they are race spec bikes.. BUT the DRZ type bikes are much more road user friendly and require less maintenance etc.... DRZ's are great bikes (if you can get your feet down Laughing) if a bit underpowered.. but they are reliable etc...

Depends how tarty you are really too if you want a racier bike or any old thing with moto wheels thats reliable! Something like a DR600 or XR600 is cheap and reliable, good for what you want etc but not the fastest in the world.. DRZ would be perfect for you but they are expensive (£3k ish)

r1_lad wrote:
Only trouble is, i really don't fancy selling the r1, love it too much so thinking about getting both. So my question is to all you supermoto'ers out there (yams, smoto bob etc) how far would £1-2k get me in the supermoto world? Should i buy a motorcross bike and supermoto it up myself or just look at bikes already converted? What makes/models should i be looking at? Also for anyone that knows about insurance is it possible to have 2 bikes on 1 policy and if so is it going to cost me much more to add a supermoto bike to my policy?

Yes you can have 2 bikes on 1 policy if your insurer allow it.

DON'T even consider converting a motorcross bike if you are only wanting to spend £2000 max. It'll end in tears Crying or Very sad

I've given up converting my WR properly as it's more than I bargained for, so looking to sell and get a KTM ready converted instead.

(second hand prices)

Wheels, discs and tyres - £700+
Chain and sprockets - £100
Caliper & master cylinder - £350++
SM Mudguard - £15

That's the start of it anyway...

So definetly get a pre-converted bike!!!

XR600/650 would be ideal for you if you can find one at a decent price.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are already insuring an R1, I would expect it to put about £20-40 on your insurance. You might have top change the whole lot over to a different policy as they don't all allow multiple bikes, your broker will usually swap over the balance of your existing policy for you if this is the case and give you the option to top it up so it lasts another 12 months from that date.

I added a GPZ500s to my insurance the other day and it cost me £20.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1