Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha WR450f - 2 trac?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:08 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Yamaha WR450f - 2 trac?! Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard much about this new bike? Apparently Yamaha are doing just a limited run, but it's going to be a 2 wheel drive enduro bike! There's some information on it here:

https://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/enduro/wr450_2trac.shtml

C'mon, some rich git has to get one just for a laugh. Smile

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are for rich kids at the moment, give it 5 years and half the dirt/enduro bikes sold will be 2 trac!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2WD yamaha has been out for ages, there was a 450 at a supermoto race back in July in Aug/sept!

Pretty cool I guess.

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
The 2WD yamaha has been out for ages, there was a 450 at a supermoto race back in July in Aug/sept!

Pretty cool I guess.

I had a funny feeling someone would say that - I knew It'd either be you or smotobob too Smile.

Indeed it is pretty cool - do you reckon it would be much different to ride?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:46 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait 'till they make some 2WD superbikes. Unhighsideable and totally steerable with the back-end stepped right out as the front keeps pulling you round the corner. Even faster acceleration off the line due to reduced wheelieage.

Who wil be first to master two wheel drift??

It is a neat system, those hub-centre hydraulic motors must have a lot of potential applications. Beats the hell out of the old 2WD bikes they made in the 70's with a chain running along the front forks Shocked .

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:50 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mind boggles at the thought of a 2wd superbike! Smile I think riding styles would need to change slightly.

And chain driven down the forks?!?!?! Shocked - Danger, Danger!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

125cc, 2WD, 8bhp. Ride it anywhere you can think of. Big chain drive to front wheel running along forks.

https://www.motorcyclecity.com/Military-bikes/jordan-SF-rokon.jpg

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR450f - 2 trac?! Reply with quote

askew wrote:

C'mon, some rich git has to get one just for a laugh. Smile

i was under the impression you can buy them and they are only a few grand Rolling Eyes more Cool

and..... they have been out for ages lol, they even did dakar Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering for a while.

IF you do a stoppy... and keep the throttle on....

can you stoppy for miles?? Twisted Evil

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: post Reply with quote

humm stopy circles Cool

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:32 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
IF you do a stoppy... and keep the throttle on....

can you stoppy for miles?? Twisted Evil

I've thought along those lines.

You would have to go past the natural balance point, then accelerate to bring it down again... problem would be when you run out of speed.... so you're doing top speed and now don't have anything to stop it mashing you into the ground Confused.

Quote:
Who wil be first to master two wheel drift??

Get someone to run over your rear wheel Razz (and yes, I did save it, though purely through luck rather than judgement Smile ).

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I think the power going through the front would tend to just bring the back down.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with 2wd road bikes is matching the speeds of the wheels while leaning over due to the different camber of the tyres. Same reason why traction control doesn't work on a bike.

2wd yamahas have been around for ages, they made a TT600, or whatever they call their 600 single AC bike, years ago.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:45 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Unfortunately, I think the power going through the front would tend to just bring the back down.

That's the idea, you go /past/ the balance point then use the power to keep it from flipping Smile.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember reading that it'll transfer a max of 50% of the power, so it'll take some getting used to...and without the relative safety of the rear brake it'll take some ballcocks to get the hang of it!

Cagiva Geezer - the bike will naturally balance itself. As the rear slips more the front will get more drive.

I can imagine it being a very easy system to get used to, and it'll make riding much safer for sure.
Now they just need to make the rear drive hydraulic too...doing away with chains & sprockets and shaft/belt drives! Laughing / Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1