Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Registering off-road bikes for the road.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:33 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Registering off-road bikes for the road. Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a 125 bike and I will be keeping it for roughly a year but am having trouble finding something decent and am not too keen on sport's 125's (too over priced IMO_ or commuters.

I have been looking at SM/MX style 125's and was wondering what I would have to do to register something like an RM/CR 125 and how much i'd be looking at this costing? I beleive it will cost about £150 to get it registered with the DVLA etc? Then whatever it costs for me to wire up lights etc...

Has anyone done this and what was it like? Perhaps on something like a CRF etc...

Thanks for any help. Thumbs Up

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bloke near me riding a 426F on the road, looks and sounds the nuts. The bloke's a complete loon as well, dunno how much it would cost to get one on the road though mate, sorry. Your gonna need light's, indicators, a speedo and a horn at least I reckon. Look around, see how much you can get that lot for, and then contact DVLA, see about what you do to get it registered.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap the CR/RM as the bike but still after the info Thumbs Up

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much you looking to spend?

My bike's in my avatar, a Supermoto 4T 125.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:44 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wanted a 2-stroke 125, will be looking to spend around £1500 maybe little more, but on a very good conition bike.

Something like a CRM 125. Enduro styled 125's. I realise it may be alot of maintanence but I dont mind that.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super City, just not that one from ebay.......

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy an oldish CR/RM/YZ whatever, and buy some wheels and tyres for it and Supermoto it yourself?

Spend about a grand or so on the bike, and the rest on bits.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:57 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idea Reflex. Wink CR/RM are MX bikes so I think have alot less time in between servicing (unpractical for the road), I think the Enduro bikes have longer serivce intervals.

Can anyone tell me what the insurance is likely to be like on one of these? Also could use a 250 4-stroke.

Super City would be great, exactly the sort of thing, but theyre few and far between.

As you can probably tell this is recent idea so any help whatsoever appreciated. If youve performed this yourself then please get in contact in any way you like.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What licence woulf you be riding it on? Even the supercity is over the 33bhp laws (power to weight ratio) so proper MX bikes would be way over.

The 'suzuki D-Tracker' is a fun 300cc (or is it 250?) 4t bike. Same power as a 125 2t, but more grunt and a 13k rev ceiling

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:51 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but no-one needs to know that Mr. Green I'd probably have to bodge something in (washer in exhaust) to pass MOT or other test's if necessary then whip it out straight after. Then i'll do my full test soon after Christmas. It's not as bad as all these nutcases riding Superbikes before theyre 21 lol.

but, sshhhhhhhhhh! Twisted Evil

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like a Yamaha DT125 or if you want full on supermoto I hear these are as close as a 125 gets to the real thing.

Husqvarna SM125S
https://www.fmc-moto.ch/images/Husqvarna-SM125S-photo.jpg

Bike magazine reviewed one recently said it was the maddest 125 out but I have no idea where you would get one.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 16:43 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto a DT125...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=37165

Strong and practical enough for everyday road use, but also does a mean impression of an off road bike aswell (there's a vid of smoto bob off roading a DT125).

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:32 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you're going to do your full test fairly soon, I'd maybe get a cheap 4 stroke commuter in the mean time, then pass your test, sell it and get a bigger capacity bike.

That way you get the power and the reliability.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah I may just do my full test like you say G, I'll do some research into bikes and see. The problem is insurance, they will try to steal it round here. The joy's of SE London!

I'd love to get a DT125 and SM it but all the ones I see for sale are repair jobs (like that SM shown in the link, and i've already got one of those) or are 2000 on so too expensive. So if anyone knows of a 125cc SM/MX style bike coming up for sale around Jan/Feb latest then give me a shout, as close to a grand and as in good condition as possible. Must be within reasonable travelling distance of Dartford tunnel (50 miles max really, give or take).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1