Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trials or Motorcross

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Newbie-Phil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:28 - 31 Dec 2004    Post subject: Trials or Motorcross Reply with quote

Hi all,

Right Im looking at getting in to motorbikes firstly just as an off road pursuit so I dont have to get a bike licence etc.

I have no experience on motorbikes except I had a 80cc quad when I was younger, im now 22 and I enjoy mountain biking and I am pretty good at both trials on a mountain bike and general freeride stuff.

I am now toying with getting a motorbike and im not sure wether to go down the trials side of things or motorcross. I like the skill behind trials but also like going fast etc is it possible to do much jumping on a trials bike? I was considering for starters getting an xsport 110cc mini style motorcross bike cos these look fun!

Anyway if people can give me a bit of an insight I would be very grateful also im thinking if i get a big bike to get a 250cc be it mx or trials. What bikes are cheap and good what should I look out for etc.

Cheers!!!! Happy new year in a Very Happy bit

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:57 - 01 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what you want to do.

I used to do a lot of bicycle trials a few years back. I'd suggest you get a 125/200 cheap as you like field bike and start trials on that.

To start with trials is all about riding around trees at funny angles etc.

Motox on the other hand requires more mechanical expertise, a more expensive machine, and higher risks of dieing. IMO.

I rekon you'd be best off giving trials a bash. Phone your local trials club they'll be able to help you further.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:59 - 01 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking to move onto a road bike at some point, motocross would be a better 'preparation'.

Belcher
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id suggest trials. i rode for a couple years, gives you great bike control , and like people have said theres less chance of your dying,burning or both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:32 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Possibly another idea would be enduro riding. Like motocross but slower but with longer sessions.

Suspect with no experience a 125 motocross machine would be one hell of a shock.

All the best

Keith

Newbie-Phil
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:51 - 03 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help everyone, I will keep thinking whilst Im sourcing some £££'s.

I would quite fancy trials but its a bit boring on your own I used to do trials on a mountain bike with loads of friends and that was good fun but we have all grown up now Smile

I have a friend who is also wanting a crosser so this would probably be more fun. Plus I live on a small farm where I could built some mighty doubles!!! Very Happy

WraithuK
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:23 - 05 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is much as what im wanting to do , motocros is to expensive dangerous and not as fun , id suggest a CRM 125 or DT125R as a started why? dt nice easy learner bike and the crm boosts a bit more power althought the 250 version is alot better. DTs are one of the most common form of starter bikes and used as stepping stones anything over a 250 2stroke in trials is just not worth it unless your doing hard deep mud/rut trials i would stick with a 2 stroke or an XL ( which i believe are small 4 stroke trial bikes? )

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:07 - 05 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you realise all the bikes you mentioned are motorcross/trail bikes?

Trials involes going over high things, I don't know the model designations.

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride a trials bike but now I have a motocross. I love both. In my opinion, if you will usually be riding on your own a trials bike will be far more fun than a motocross bike. I wouldn’t consider a motocross unless you definitely have other people to riding with. Most of the fun with riding motocross is racing around with your friends and doing jumps etc.

If you go down the motocross root I would go for either CR, KX, RM or YZ. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, they all have their advantages and disadvantages. If you are looking for a newish bike then you can consider a KTM too but I wouldn’t bother with an older one. If you are new to riding motocross a 125 would be a great start but I wouldn’t bother looking at trails bikes like DTs if you are only going to use the bike off road. I’ve had two of these types of bikes and I would never buy one again. If you are very confident on a bike you could go for a 250 but they do take a lot longer to get used to and it can end up being the bike taking you for a ride rather than you taking it for a ride.

Trials biking is great fun too, especially if you are into mountain biking. It takes a lot of skill but when you get good it’s amazing what you can to and where you can go. If you will be the type of person who just wants to pick the bike up and go out to ‘play’ then this is the better option I think. Motocross takes more preparation and it can be boring if you are on your own. Motocross riding is far more fun if you have a track where a few of you can race each other.

Hope this helps.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1