Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cost of touring in the uk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:48)
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Cost of touring in the uk? Reply with quote

Another touring question...

From anyone who has done similar, just getting up and going touring, how much did it cost you a day? were planning on going 100miles a day, me and my girlfriend and my mate and his girlfriend...

Petrol for me is £10 for 130miles... so say tenner a day for that... accomodation... £30/40 a night each? (i honestly have no idea there) food £10 each at the most a day?

How much would you take per day? even camping is about as expensive as a hotel (as far as i know) so thats out...

What do you lot think? touring on the cheap? Hope i'll be able to afford it Sad

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 23:18 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
£30/40 a night each?

Get a tent! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's 4 of you, consider going from Travelodge to Travelodge.

Prices are currently about £40 per night per room, but the rooms generally sleep at least 4 people comfortably (usually twin beds and a double bed/settee).

Pubs rather than B&Bs are often cheaper, stay off the beaten track and you should find something for around £15-£20 each per night.

Alternatively, post up details of your proposed route here, find out who lives closest to your stopping points and ask nicely...... Thumbs Up

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles a day isn't very much, but if thats all you want to do....

I agree with babyyam, have a look at the maps on www.travelodge.co.uk. At the most it'll cost £50 for a family room, whether you want to share is another matter though ! If you book early enough you can get good deals. I stayed in a family room on Tuesday night for £26.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should camping be that expensive? A decent sleeping bag will probably cost £15-20, a cheapish tent probably not too much, a camping stove and perhaps a lamp on top of that, then everything else is a luxury surely? All in for £70-80? Thinking Then there's the hassle, the food, the water, the washing, but the independence should be worth it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allready have camping gear, lots of it... us blokes are quite happy to camp out, but the ladys are not quite so enthusiastic (allthough admit it would be a laugh) actually i'd sorta prefer camping...

Don't know how much camping would normaly cost but last time we went it cost a bomb.. considering all they were offering was a bit of grass for the night and portaloos.. Rolling Eyes

We would still have to hunt camping sites down and the worst problem is the carting arround of the gear, transalp is not so bad (allthough iv'e got no luggage for it yet) but my mates on a zxr400 sure it could be done but complicats things a bit... still could happen if i'm plesently supprised by cheepness of sites Smile

The travel logde idea is a goodun, friends usually stay in them when going to concerts and they all cram into one room for £40

As for asking bcfers Very Happy we'd be happy to camp out in peoples gardens really Wink (thats an idea though, maybe a bcf network of people who are willing to put people up for the night who in return can stay at the places of others offering?)

As for a route.. at the minute were open to suggestions, could go anywhere really (anywhere not involveing a ferry) the 100miles a day is not really a strict limit but just rideing all week would be quite hard work if were not carefull, might do more, might do less... (i'm happy to do 300 a day with a good rest at either end) partly why we wont want to book places in advance as it lets us stay places longer/shorter times..

Hope it happens though, its been a crappy year so far and the last holliday i had was 3 years ago Rolling Eyes

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 02:26 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know where your going to stay then camping can be had for around £15 for the night for all of you (that's assuming your in one tent). Should have basic facilities at that price too, ie toilet and showers. For food (I think ive posted this before) Buy two large bags of chips, a couple of quid and then find your nearest local supermarket (best do that first actually) and buy a spit-roast chicken for around £3 (less if its near closing time). This should serve you all fairly well and then just get some bottles/cans of drink. Dinner on the cheap! Laughing

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For peace of mind I would definitely get breakdown cover for recovery anywhere in the UK and even homestart would be good choice along with it too;

https://www.nationalbreakdown.co.uk/UK_Menu2.htm

Robin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:32 - 22 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Youth Hostels??
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 208 days between these two posts...

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:52 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of doing the same sort of thing early next year so hope you don't mind me asking a few questions?

How did you get on with this trip?
Where did you end up sleeping?
What sort of cost was the whole trip?
How long did it take?
How many miles a day did you do?
Any places you liked/stayed longer?
Any to avoid?

Sorry about the questions. Just getting some background!

The Lone Rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to camping, there is probably a way around paying so much, for so little.

Technically, all land belongs to someone, but how many places have you seen when riding where a tent could easily and safely be set up? Just stop, pitch the tent, eat, sleep, pack, then ride! Simple and cheap, erm in fact FREE!!

If that doesn't float your boat, just ring a couple of farms on the route and ask if the farmer would mind. You might be surprised how welcoming most farmers are. My old boss had loads agree to having us camp and be picked up by a helicopter on their land, and didn't want a penny.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1