Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

lands end to john o groats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: lands end to john o groats Reply with quote

hi all
im dave from manchester(oldham).my bikes or kawasaki zx12r late 2005 and a bmw 1150gs adv,thanks i know lol.
ok vonting to no wots the fastest time is from lands end to john o groats (on a moto bike).I did it in 15 hours in one day on the 16th december 05 from john o groats to lands end i did it that way coz it sounded better.lol.
i want to doit in 12 hours in april .last time i didnt have much daylight dont like night riding ,its the only time i like white van drivers if you know wot i mean,ya site is limited in the pich black.
For hours all you could see is red lights and when your on the A30 you no ya carnt stop for a break cos you cant see fuckall.you see the sign saying parking 200 yards thats about it.tried it nearly parked down a cliff lol.The total journy was 1900 miles in 3 days.
anyway loved every minuet of it Thumbs Up .
i'm doin it for charity this time .

ps i did it on me bmw and gunna doit on my zx12 next time.

Last edited by big dave on 19:19 - 20 Jan 2006; edited 6 times in total

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:24 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What possessed you to ride it at this time of year? Shocked

I rode the 160 miles home from uni on the 17th Dec and it was bloody freezing, about 2 degrees when I left and it got colder.

Did you have heated clothing?

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to see if i could do it and get some long distance riding expieriance cos i'm planing go in to europe in may ,france germany
switzerland.............
believe me i was cold ,wet, windy, very windy.After that riding 100 miles is like riding to the local shop Surprised .
NO didnt have no heated clothing just some fat lol Laughing

sw

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself and 2 mates attempted the journey from Blackpool to Land's End then up to John O Groats and back to Blackpool.

The mission was to do this in 48 hours, with no motorways and all on Varadero 125's.

With a lot of hard work and some problems near Inverness during the night on the lonely roads we had to give up with 90 miles from JOG. We returned back to Blackpool 2040 miles and 56 hours later lol.

It was for charity so well worth the trip.

Good luck in April.

The Lone Rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how come you had to head back home so near to john o groats,i would of puhed the bike the rest Laughing .dont give up try it again.

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest mate 2 of us dropped out on the first half of the run.

Andy had bad cramp and I was in pain with new textiles not fitting properly.

Also, the front guy was pushing too hard. He was going down roads on wrong side around bollards in city centres to try and keep within the time. He also expected us to go straight onto the north side of the run with no sleep as we were behind schedule.

We had already doneover 20 hours riding by this time so we couldn't do it.

Anyway, he took his girlfriend pillion and my wife (know on the forums as mission control as she keeps everyone in touch and up to date) spoke to them on regular intervals. They got past Inverness and noticed they were being followed. A car kept heading right up behind them and switching lights off. This was at 2am. This happened for 10 minutes then a motorbike came along and started doing this.

They stopped at a petrol station on the A9 in Alness and my wife phoned the local police. The police went and chatted to them and told them not to worry as it was probably locals messing about. They were told to carry on and ignore them. My wife and I talked them into coming back as they had some very dangerous roads ahead and were both too tired to continue.

So 90 miles from the finish and they turned back for safety. Guys from the Varadero forum met them along the way and brought them right back home.

I'd be interested in your plans for going on your 125. Myself and a few others have already said we would try it again this year.

Sorry for the long story!

The Lone Rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate sorry to hear about that story it must have been an experience to ride 2000 miles on a 125 i dont think i could have done it on a 125 that is , i have a bmw gs adventure and 2000 miles is a peice of piss compared to doing it on a 125 it must have been a nightmare .
You need to go and pass your direct access and try it on a bigger bike i mean that in a nice way good luck for the next time . Smile

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:23 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel that it was a problem doing the whole 2000 on a 125. The Varadero was built for distance. It was just the risk involved in trying to keep up and push further than my own limits.

Over a 3 to 4 day carefully planned break I would have no problem doing it again - especially for charity.

I will acheive that goal this year whether on my own or with other 125'ers. If you time your breaks well and have some fun it would be easy to complete the trip safely.

I also want to do a coast to coast either this summer or next!

The Lone Rider.

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF and when you do the coast to coast (a round )aprox 4000 miles give me a bell on bmwbikers@msn.com .next year though Smile .
maybe we can set off/or do it Thumbs Up together.I would do it for testicular cancer . Thumbs Up

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you do that on a 125cc coast to coast? Me and a mate both said we'd do it over a set number of days on our 125's next year. Be a great acheivement!

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol know,(1)i'm 6'4 tall i would look a twat on a 125 (2) i have £20,000 in two bikes y would i want to do it on a 125 ,rrrrrrrrr uuuuuuuuu mad Laughing .
sorry about that Embarassed

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Let us know how you get on. I'm nearly 6'3" and comfortable on my 125 but point taken. Faster bikes = quicker finish time!

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also been looking into the possiblility of doing something similar as a charity ride. Ive actually been looking into the possibilities of setting it up as some sort of Iron Butt challenge. Maybe the 2000 mile saddlesore in 48hrs.

I'd be doing it on my Kawasaki Z1000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

big dave
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day on a 125 or zx1200r Smile we will both have a f***in great time.my nephew went to rhyl on a xlr125 from oldham,he took a rucsack wich was nearly big as him lol but he got ther.

thelonerider
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:30 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on him!

Went from Birmingham to Prestatyn a couple of years ago with a mate on an 80cc piaggio and mate on streetfighter 100cc. Took us 5 hours but we had so much fun and we did the same with the bags bigger than us! It was the £9.50 holidays out the Sun. We were the only 2 there on bikes so everyone kept watching us! Great fun!

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereabouts in Oldham are you? I live in Lees.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in this thread has far too much money...

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some plans to do some distance stuff over the next couple of years. But not Lands end to John 'o' Groats!

Well done to those who did it, or similar, and a big Thumbs Up for thinking of charities.

I have been looking all over for advice on touring and the key seems to be in who you do it with. If there are going be other bikes, make sure that you all ride with the same intentions. Many peolpe decide on abilities, but that is not always the key. An experienced rider could happily ride with an inexperienced one, as long as neither try to ride like prats.

I'll be heading up to central scotland from manchester with my brother and possibly a friend. That will be quite far enough on my feeble little KLE 500!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1