BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Digibox Hell

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Digibox Hell Reply with quote

Missus has a Relisys TV with a composite input, and a component input (Least I think it is component, has markings on the back of the TV with Cy, Cb and Audio I think)

She's trying to connect her freeview digibox to the TV but has no SCART input on the TV itself.

She bought an S Video cable, (Like the composite input, but with an S Video cable instead of the video cable).

This doesn't work.

Would a standard component cable work? Would a scart to component input work? The composite input works as AV1 and the component is AV2, her DVD player is on AV1, so we really need to know if the Cy,Cb and Audio sockets are component, and whether using a SCART -> Component is possible and should work.

Sorry for bad English, I'm lazy Smile

Toby

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

face it toby she needs to buy a new tv lol

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the composite cables. I use the scart output on my freeview box and plug it into the composite input on my monitor and into the audio in on my AV amp.

This is the kind of cable I mean.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/35904i0.jpg

If this fails you can just use standard TV ariel cable and tune it to one of the TV's spare analogue channels (like you would a VCR or an old console)

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

divuk83 wrote:
Use the composite cables. I use the scart output on my freeview box and plug it into the composite input on my monitor and into the audio in on my AV amp.

This is the kind of cable I mean.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/35904i0.jpg

If this fails you can just use standard TV ariel cable and tune it to one of the TV's spare analogue channels (like you would a VCR or an old console)

Dave

Hi,

We used one of these, but instead of the yellow lead we used an S-Video cable, I'll try with a stock cable.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen of string wrote:
face it toby she needs to buy a new tv lol

It is a new TV.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post pics of the connectors on the back of the TV?

Composite = what divuk83 posted pics of. That's 3 phono leads, 1 video, 2x audio (left & right). Poor picture quality vs alternatives.

Component = EITHER RGB + audio OR luminesence & colour + Audio

S-Video is a cable that uses a mini-din type socket to carry component video. Looks like https://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:BHQAGhoAevFnnM:images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0009N1MZA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you are really desperate get hold of a video recorder. Most have SCART inputs on, then you can just use the RF output from the video to connect to the telly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:
Can you post pics of the connectors on the back of the TV?

Composite = what divuk83 posted pics of. That's 3 phono leads, 1 video, 2x audio (left & right). Poor picture quality vs alternatives.

Component = EITHER RGB + audio OR luminesence & colour + Audio

S-Video is a cable that uses a mini-din type socket to carry component video. Looks like https://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:BHQAGhoAevFnnM:images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0009N1MZA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you are really desperate get hold of a video recorder. Most have SCART inputs on, then you can just use the RF output from the video to connect to the telly.

Hi,

She has the composite inputs, 2 for audio one video, with an S-Video port underneath, this is what we tried.

The other ports are marked Cy, Cb and Audio, (Think there's another port with 'Y' on if that helps.)

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/Relisys_RLT1520__5778177#productdetail

This is the TV.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're switching to S-video on the input selection on the TV. Also, make sure you're pressing menu on the Freeview box, so you can see when it's the right one, as it won't be tuned in.

If you can, use S-video. The quality is considerably better than component, though as you have realised you need to use compononent or something else for sound. If this isn't working, just get a simple scart to component cable. They're widely available, as component is effectively a direct substitute for scart.

Go to Currys and get a Monster cable, be it s-video or scart to component. They cost £20 each or so; I spent £13 on a aerial cable, £40 on 2 scart cables and £30 on 2 premium power cables. But the different in quality is astonishing. Thumbs Up

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad as it may sound, its worth spending a few quid on quality cable. Spent a few bob on mine and it makes a hell of a difference.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

divuk83 wrote:
Sad as it may sound, its worth spending a few quid on quality cable. Spent a few bob on mine and it makes a hell of a difference.

Dave

She has some Proline cables for her DVD at the moment, fugging awesome.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1