39%
 39%  [ 30 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 76

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Police carrying guns Reply with quote

Would you be in favour of every police officer carrying a gun or not? What is your argument for them NOT to if you are against it?

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if they were properly and meticulously trained in there use, and the correct time to use one.

I must admit, if I was a copper and there was someone with a gun, I'd rather have one myself as well, than just a baton and some CS spray. But there's also the argument that you'll get idiots on a power trip who think it's OK to shoot anyone who pisses them off.

matt89
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:37 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if every copper carried guns surely it increases the likely hood of them being used by some power crazy copper who over reacts to a situation. and it adds to the risk of criminals carrying them aswell because they would know that there would be a bigger chance that they might need to be used.

but i would still like them to carry guns could just make you feel that bit safer sometimes and maybe stop smaller crimals commiting crimes aswell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:39 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Not for every one.

We're not America yet, so they don't really need them. Also, ever met a copper that's been a little bit abusive towards you? Would you liked him/her to have been armed?

Introducing guns as a regular thing for the police would mean that criminals would need one, rather than just want one. It would also make a nice little black market for stolen police issue weapons.

The ones that need them, get them already. Introducing them everywhere would just cause more problems.

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can use America as an example of how the police over here would use them. Look at the difference of how American soldiers conduct themselves in conflict compared to our troops. None of them are going to be angels, like, but I'm thinking of the 'Blue on blue' incidents. Yanks are a bit highly strung...

I would hope our coppers would be be able to dettach themselves a bit more.

Go Jerry, go Jerry, go Jerry...

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. More guns on the streets in anyone's hands is asking for trouble. I think we have the right sort of balance at the moment. If there is a gun involved then an armed response unit should be dispatched to the scene and the non armed units should keep a safe distance/cordon. I know that this isn't possible in every situation but I'd rather have a selected unit of armed Police than let every officer with the minimum required training carry a firearm.

I would imagine that the budgetary constraints would restrict this in the first place and if it was to happen then the training costs would be immense. It's also probably a good thing for an armed officer to turn up at the scene after the initial contact, allowing them a more unbiased/adrenal view of the situation.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
You'll get idiots on a power trip

That sums up the police force.
Then you have the increased amounts of fire arms in the UK, one thing lead to another and all that......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:12 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
I don't think you can use America as an example of how the police over here would use them....

I would hope our coppers would be be able to dettach themselves a bit more.

My point about America was more along the lines of give anyone a gun, and they'll want to shoot it.

I'd also hope that if our police were armed they would be responsible. However, I wouldn't necessarily expect it, and it's quite a risk to take.

There should be less weapons in the world, not more. The main benefactor of arming the British police would be the arms industry. By the time widespread gun crime is prevalent, they'll have already sold their shares.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Unless they are prepared to use them then they are no use at all. How does an armed officer dive in and break up a fight without putting themself at risk of having his firearm taken and used against them? Suppose they could give it to a passer by to look after, or they could wave it at those fighting and see if they pay him the slightest attention Wink .

Sure plenty will comply with the coppers instructions when they have a gun waved in their direction. These ones would probably comply anyway so no gain there at all.

Overall I think that giving them guns would help occasionally but get in the way most of the time.

All the best

Keith

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:32 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Overall I think that giving them guns would help occasionally but get in the way most of the time

Especially when eating dougnuts....

I'll get my coat Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Nah, be fine for that. That is what the hole in the middle is for. Means they can drop the doughnuts over the barrel and so eat them without getting their fingers sticky.

All the best

Keith

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Overall I think that giving them guns would help occasionally but get in the way most of the time

Might actually help. You could shoot holes in them.

For added splatter, use jam filled ones.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:53 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or choccy ones and it would look like a bum! Surprised Thumbs Up

Laughing

Rolling Eyes

Arrow Bye..........*clunk*

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:01 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm the police and your average 'low level' criminal now feels the need to be armed.

Not a good situation, in my opinion.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo!!

Wild west

Blaow Blaow!!!

Yeeeehaaaarrr
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:12 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't trust em.

I wouldnt trust anyone with a gun.
They are the cowards way out and too easy to use.

now if they all had swords.....
at least tehy would have to look the guy who they ran though in the eye.

Guns = Cowards
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:12 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some real idiots out there.

Arm them, and the ones who dont want guns the tazer gun thingy.

Right im off Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:13 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:

Guns = Cowards

Bull shit Rolling Eyes Wink

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:16 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in a copper on every corner and a cap in every ass. Thumbs Up

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:25 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is the need for every copper to have a gun. Unlike the US we don't have a gun culture embedded into us. I think giving the cops guns would just alienate them from the public they serve. We need better trained armed responce units however or maybe more of them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know the people who went and joined the police from my school and I wouldn't trust them with anything more dangerous than a rubber chicken.

A police force who routinely take people for a ride in the back of their van for a good kicking for no other reason than they don't like the look of you should not be allowed to carry firearms.

There is also the fact that if a criminal knows he is going to be up against armed police, he will get himself an 'equaliser'. More guns=more shootings.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Police force also have a lot of ex-squaddies, most of whom would love to have loosed off a few live rounds whilst in the army. I wouldn't fancy the basic ex-squaddie turned copper carrying a loaded weapon on the streets of my town.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:52 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah blah.

They would do tests to see if your fit to carry a gun etc.

Some people are morons, put on the uniform then tell people what you think.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:01 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
They would do tests to see if your fit to carry a gun etc.

Simple check. If you want one then you are not fit to carry one. Similar test should apply for politicians.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3