Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engineering at University

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

michaelryland
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Engineering at University Reply with quote

Hi I'm looking at doing a degree in Motor Sports Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. From what I have seen loughbrough looks the best, has any one been to this uni or have any other good recomidations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Nottingham Trent Uni many moons ago to do mechanical engineering. Top city, loads of crime but great uni and a greater night out. Wink
Loughborough is for Jocks not engineers Very Happy .

Belcher
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied Motorsport Engineeering at Brooklands College Surrey up to degree level. Top course but hard to get a decent career out of it!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want practical experience with good labs, do not choose mechanical engineering. I thought I would do loads of labs but turns out I was wrong and jumped into this crappy course without really knowing what it was about.

Anything but mechanical!!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:51 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanical engineering is maths for design engineers you wont get much hands on stuff

the hands on stuff you do get is simple testing procedures with a scientific bent of changing one variable and noting the changes in another

I have heard Loughborough is very good for engineering but dont know this for sure.

Cranfield may be one of the best for research but I dont know what their teaching is like.

Fixing yourself up with good summer placements is probably as important as what uni you go to. or even do a sandwich course where you have a year work placement after your 2nd year.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 17:58 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen of Loughborough graduates they are mines of useless information & can't check their tire pressure or change their socks without adult supervision.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:03 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
From what I've seen of Loughborough graduates they are mines of useless information & can't check their tire pressure or change their socks without adult supervision.

Rolling Eyes okey......

I have applied for Chemical Engineering and applied to 4 unis, Loughbourgh being 1. Went to see it last week for my interview (of which i got an offer) and thought it was ok, very sporty and a bit too many guys.

If you like sport then i think you would love, think it will be my second choice but liked Bath more (as a uni, i think its important to like the place as going to be there 5 years)

michaelryland
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:20 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all of your opinions
I think i will go to have a look at loughbrough and a few others, then decide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 17:16 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Brookes do a motorsport engineering course.

I don't know how good it is, my friend is finishing her degree there at the moment... She likes it there but I'm not convinced how academically challenging her work has been. IMO she hasn't been pushed hard enough, given enough support nor had enough access to decent research material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did motorsport engineering at Brookes, was great fun especially on fridays, we go to strip old f3 & f300 race cars.
But to be honest, you'd be better off training up with a small race team and working your way up the leagues.
Even when you've got the degree people still want experience.
Good luck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1