Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is your dream? ( motorcycle related please)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:10 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: What is your dream? ( motorcycle related please) Reply with quote

Something positive to pen down for a change when it's Rain raining outside as usual, oops there i go again mr negative!!

Ok, My dream is (before I keel over of old age, or a diabetes related complication) Is to take a good tourer and tour Europe and maybe beyond, But I think Europe will do, I's big!

I will take a Visa card with a few grand credit (don't pay it back Twisted Evil ) on it, panniers full of cheap Primark clothing (when they get dirty dump it) maybe a tent for 2? and maybe I get a Tom Tom sat nav out of Argos, (buy now don't pay later! Shifty ) or do without it and sorta get lost and God only knows where I end up! (foreign Legion perhaps)

Has anybody been there and done that, or are just thinking or maybe also daydream about it, you don't have to win the lottery to do this (it would help) I will do this within the next 5 years for sure before.........we are a long time dead!!!!

Let us have your dreams please,will you turn them in reality?

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set off for work before on the KLE, I had a full tank, and the sun was still shining. My trip to Spain is still on my mind.

I felt a HUGE urge to just fuck off. Head south, follow the sun and see where it took me.

When I was a kid, we had next to nout. The thought of ever going abroard was just a fantasy, so I used to imagine setting off on wild adventures on rafts, horse back and motorbikes. Now I'm nearly 23, and the urge is still just as strong, if not more so now I have the bike and finances to actually do it.

I was just bimbling along the road to work, dreaming of jumping on the ferry and chasing the horizon, meeting all the people along the way, and seeing different worlds, smelling the aroma of foreign lands and winding down through sun baked mountain roads to the next town and whatever surprises it may hold.

I've got to do it, and fucking soon aswell! Wink

Last edited by carlnicholsony2k on 22:26 - 31 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:09 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me Laughing I need to do it sharpies as I am 51 next month, only one problem i still have the flipping L plates up, so i need to get cracking!! Praying and hope that I pass the test!

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

51? I wouldn't worry about that mate. How old is that guy who wrote Jupiters Travels? He still going strong and probably in some weird back street in deepest darkest Asia doing a deal on an old 350 as we speak!

Don't let the test bother you. I passed my car test first time, so expected to breeze my DAS. That was until I failed. I cried, literally. Shifty Then I realised, wtf does it matter? Just book it, do it again, and this time don't pull out on anyone.

So I did, and didn't attempt suicide, and passed! It isn't a big issue, just stay chilled and enjoy the ride the examiner takes you on. I just treated it as a ride out with a mate, but just did everything by the book and only got 1 minor fault on my re-test.

Get it booked, get it passed and get off on a trip, but don't forget to let us know how you get on. Wink

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: What is your dream? ( motorcycle related please) Reply with quote

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Ok, My dream is to take a good tourer and tour Europe and maybe beyond, But I think Europe will do, I's big!

What would you class as a "good tourer" though? I don't think my 30 year old SOHC Honda could really be described as a "good tourer", but I shall be using it for a trip similar to what you describe regardless. 15,000 miles, 3 months, and one knackered old Japanese motorcycle made in the 1970s - What could possibly go wrong? Laughing

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:52 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going solo, then the varadero may well surprise you how competant it is!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 08:58 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Dutchman wrote:
That sounds good to me Laughing I need to do it sharpies as I am 51 next month, only one problem i still have the flipping L plates up, so i need to get cracking!! Praying and hope that I pass the test!

i think it could be done even on L plates, but probably better with a bigger bike its true

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i think it could be done even on L plates, but probably better with a bigger bike its true

No, I don't think it could, as I think you'll find that you have to have a full license to drive in certain countries in the Europe.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:17 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get a fair way on a 50cc, if you were lunatic enough to want to do it.

snuff2005
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:54 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to take a ktm adventure aroudn the world with no time limmit on how long the trip would be a trip were if i ran out of cahs id simply stay in a town a few weeks and earn some cash to carry on, some thing were i dint have to worry about my aprentiship and other shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:28 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Dutchman wrote:

51 aint old get your test passed then you could tag along with us next year to jordan and egypt for 3 months Thumbs Up

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the d-day beaches in France on the back of the GS at 16.

As i've passed my test, will be riding the GS with my dad (daytona 600) and uncle (cbr600f) around ireland/germany at 17 in october.

Once i hit 18, we'll be touring spain for sure. Ferry down to spain, then riding back up through europe.

Would like to visit wales and scotland in the summer!

Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

going through france to the alps this summer, going solo, taking it slowly + stopping where I fancy for as long as I want (camping mainly). Should have about three months p*ssig around, so plenty of time to explore.

Not forgetting (as you mentioned) plenty of throw-away primark clothing (discovered primark yesterday - it's a pretty fantastic place!), a hammock, some good books +plenty of beer (bought on the way!)

Aim to head through croatia, down to serbia + up through poland (maybe Germany) + the baltics to finland, then up to the artic for more camping/ walking/ drinking/ empty winding roads, across lapland, down norway, then bergen to Iceland ont ferry (where Ive arranged to meet a friend) for a few weeks. Back to scotland, back home! Very Happy

Although this is my approximate route, the beauty is that Ive got so much time (3 months) i can decide whether I want to hang around, or move quickly on to somewhere else at the time. That is my dream (bike wise at least!), and it will be fufilled this summer!

The only thing I'm not sure about if my choice of bike. Am on an '01 fazer, which is a bit sportier than I would have liked, so I might sell it + get a bike more suited for touring + rough roads/ off the beaten track.

pjb120
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

going through france to the alps this summer, going solo, taking it slowly + stopping where I fancy for as long as I want (camping mainly). Should have about three months p*ssig around, so plenty of time to explore.

Not forgetting (as you mentioned) plenty of throw-away primark clothing (discovered primark yesterday - it's a pretty fantastic place!), a hammock, some good books +plenty of beer (bought on the way!)

Aim to head through croatia, down to serbia + up through poland (maybe Germany) + the baltics to finland, then up to the artic for more camping/ walking/ drinking/ empty winding roads, across lapland, down norway, then bergen to Iceland ont ferry (where Ive arranged to meet a friend) for a few weeks. Back to scotland, back home! Very Happy

Although this is my approximate route, the beauty is that Ive got so much time (3 months) i can decide whether I want to hang around, or move quickly on to somewhere else at the time. That is my dream (bike wise at least!), and it will be fufilled this summer!

The only thing I'm not sure about if my choice of bike. Am on an '01 fazer, which is a bit sportier than I would have liked, so I might sell it + get a bike more suited for touring + rough roads/ off the beaten track.

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 13:42 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, i want to do a bit of a trip this year, been thinking about if 4 ages, so fuck it, If I dont do it now I might not get the chance again.

Dont think about it - Just do it.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:41 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
COLINWALL wrote:

No, I don't think it could, as I think you'll find that you have to have a full license to drive in certain countries in the Europe.

you'd just avoid those countries then, wdnt u

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:45 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
I set off for work before on the KLE, I had a full tank, and the sun was still shining. My trip to Spain is still on my mind.

I felt a HUGE urge to just fuck off. Head south, follow the sun and see where it took me.

When I was a kid, we had next to nout. The thought of ever going abroard was just a fantasy, so I used to imagine setting off on wild adventures on rafts, horse back and motorbikes. Now I'm nearly 23, and the urge is still just as strong, if not more so now I have the bike and finances to actually do it.

I was just bimbling along the road to work, dreaming of jumping on the ferry and chasing the horizon, meeting all the people along the way, and seeing different worlds, smelling the aroma of foreign lands and winding down through sun baked mountain roads to the next town and whatever surprises it may hold.

I've got to do it, and fucking soon aswell! Wink

Now that I am an adult I am still up to my neck in debt and still got nowt!! Sad

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: What is your dream? ( motorcycle related please) Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Ok, My dream is to take a good tourer and tour Europe and maybe beyond, But I think Europe will do, I's big!

What would you class as a "good tourer" though? I don't think my 30 year old SOHC Honda could really be described as a "good tourer", but I shall be using it for a trip similar to what you describe regardless. 15,000 miles, 3 months, and one knackered old Japanese motorcycle made in the 1970s - What could possibly go wrong? Laughing

Give her a good service my friend (not your wife Wink ......well If you have to, do that before you go) Give the bike some new oil, sparkplugs, airfilter, chain and sprockets, see to the tyres, Honda's have a habit for going on and on and on and on!!! Try it, many have done before you! Laughing

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:54 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
If your going solo, then the varadero may well surprise you how competant it is!

Laughing Good idea!!! Cool Cool

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:59 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuff2005 wrote:
id like to take a ktm adventure aroudn the world with no time limmit on how long the trip would be a trip were if i ran out of cahs id simply stay in a town a few weeks and earn some cash to carry on, some thing were i dint have to worry about my aprentiship and other shit

The last thing I wanna do is fecking work more Twisted Evil Twisted Evil but if you think you can achive the dream you have by earning the cash to carry on on your trip, why not friend, good luck! Laughing

ps, don't forget that the apprenticeship is going to buy you your KTM and any other motorcycle you can afford to buy later on, I wish I could wind the clock back!

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:17 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

51 aint old get your test passed then you could tag along with us next year to jordan and egypt for 3 months Thumbs Up

Only one problem, I haven't got a rivet!! Sad

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:24 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:
Did the d-day beaches in France on the back of the GS at 16.

As i've passed my test, will be riding the GS with my dad (daytona 600) and uncle (cbr600f) around ireland/germany at 17 in october.

Once i hit 18, we'll be touring spain for sure. Ferry down to spain, then riding back up through europe.

Would like to visit wales and scotland in the summer!

Nick

Laughing Good lad, you have it all planned out!!! That's the way you wanna go! Wink

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:32 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjb120 wrote:

Yes, you want to preserve your back, see what your budget is, have a look around, the world is your oyster, I know of people buying a new BMW GS keep it for three months and then when they return from the trip, they sell it on again! Use your fazer as deposit!

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
You could probably get a fair way on a 50cc, if you were lunatic enough to want to do it.

I've heard people say in theory the best way to tour the world is on a honda cub c90.... bulletproof and so common that you'll be able to get dirt cheap parts in any part of the globe should anything go wrong Thumbs Up

Flying Dutchman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:26 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
maurice wrote:

I've heard people say in theory the best way to tour the world is on a honda cub c90.... bulletproof and so common that you'll be able to get dirt cheap parts in any part of the globe should anything go wrong Thumbs Up

I remember them ok, If the parts are dirt cheap to buy anywhere on the globe then plan your tour along those places where parts and fitting of the same are available, Have you got a C90?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2