Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Average prices/earnings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:26 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Average prices/earnings Reply with quote

Just got in from work this morning and am watching the BBC news. It just said that the average house price is £175k and the average wage is £25k. I've been looking at houses for a few months now and from what I've seen there's plenty of houses for less than £100k. I also like to think that my wages aren't that bad at around £14.5k (Will be about £17k after training).

How do they decide what the average wages/house prices are? I was really happy with my job and how things are going until I head that lol. The £60k houses they're talking about building look terrible and I don't understand what the problem is to be honest. There's plenty of houses out there, you just have to move to an area you can afford to live in.

Suddenly left feeling very inferior Confused

Rick.

P.S> If my girlfriend had 4 kids and I had no job, would I get the national average pay in benefits.... oh and a national average house... ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry mate, those averages take into account central london where you have to sell your granny to get a 1 bed flat and can only get TPO on you hamster. Laughing

There are advantages to living up north. Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:33 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah people down south earn more too

down south they talk about nurses or teachers or firemen being poor and how can they manage to live on £20k

I doubt I will ever earn £20k let alone £25k

it can be surprising when you realise you will never get the national average wage, but unless you have a plan to get a better job, you might aswell just accept it.

Last edited by colin1 on 05:30 - 01 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:50 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

House? for less than £100k? You must be a northener.

2 bed terrace here is about £130,000

Can't afford to buy? Rent is about £300/month per room excl. bills.

I'm getting me a cardboard box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cookie!
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:52 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
yeah people down south earn more too

down south they talk about nurses or teachers or firemen being poor and how can they manage to live on £20k

I doubt I will ever earn £20k

it can be surprising when you realise you will never get the national average wage, but unless you have a plan to get a better job, you might aswell just accept it.

We might earn more, but its fscking hard to get a mortgage Sad

I'm having to live with my parents until my wage increases another 10k or so Sad

Average house price for my area is £350-400k... and the houses aren't all that great (Essex/NE London area). Think our house was valued at £450k and its only a 3 bedroom semi detached.

First time buyers just can't get on the ladder, so the market stops and prices just keep on rising.

Oop north I'd think 450 grand would buy you a mansion, roight? Laughing

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Average prices/earnings Reply with quote

RickHolt wrote:
I've been looking at houses for a few months now and from what I've seen there's plenty of houses for less than £100k.

Maybe where you live! The very cheapest flats around where I live are £140k (Oxfordshire). I could find you no end of houses up for sale at the fat side of half a million without breaking a sweat.

RickHolt wrote:
How do they decide what the average wages/house prices are?

You did maths at school? Razz It might be that there are lots of people earning £10k, but a few people earning vastly more than that will soon tip the scales. For example;

20 people earning £10k
2 people earning £150k
Average salary = £23k

Same with the house prices. They may be cheaper the further north you go, but they're also much less dense. London has a population of something like 9 million people (depending upon where you stop measuring). You would need to add Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Glasgow and more together to get that. The majority of the population live in the south, therefore the average house price will be much more weighted towards the trends down here.

Just be grateful you don't have to go through the bollocks of getting a mortgage down here as a first time buyer! Evil or Very Mad

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:
House? for less than £100k? You must be a northener.

2 bed terrace here is about £130,000

Can't afford to buy? Rent is about £300/month per room excl. bills.

I'm getting me a cardboard box.

my 3 bed terrace cost £56k 2 years ago, but it was cheap.
My mortgage is £300/month

it may be worth £70k now.

Last edited by colin1 on 19:35 - 15 May 2006; edited 1 time in total

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie! wrote:
Oop north I'd think 450 grand would buy you a mansion, roight? Laughing

A mansion? Jeez, for 450 grand I could buy 3 of the buggers!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 5 bedroom semi is only worth 100k.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the quote in your sig
some things never change

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:12 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
some things never change

Too true, the full quote is in my profile as i'd break sig reg's by using the full thing.

And next we'll be dragged into iran.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:33 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT

Politicians, should only be able to be paid the average UK wage.
This would actually give them some impetus to raise the living standard for everyone.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes don't worry about the averages, if you can make do and buy a house then you're better off than most.
I used to be suprised when I see figures like that in the paper. I earn about average but I think the average for london is about 35k or something because of people like Michael ballack and City traders earning 100k before lunch time....

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:47 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickholt, think yourself lucky, down south especially in the SE house prices are extortionate but in the past the 10 years House rices in the Southwest are rocketting due to the amount of Londoners packing up and moving to the country and buying a caravan.

The House I have lived in all my life when my parents bought it in 1987 was only £32k, in 2006 our latest valuation is £135k. That's for a 3 bedroom end terraced 1960's house. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Slightly OT

This would actually give them some impetus to raise the living standard for everyone.

yeah but they will find ways around it , you see it all the time you get 'rebels ' against polcies they aren't really rebels at all they are out to line their own pockets a bit more , and more often than not its often being sent on all expenses paid fact finding missions to tropical islands at tax payers expense.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:

The sentiment is very nice, but those politicians would simply find higher paid jobs in the private sector and we'd be left with a complete bunch of clueless morons in charge (all jokes aside about the current setup). As the saying goes, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Blair earns £163k a year which by industry standards is bugger all. I know people on not much less than that, and they don't have half the responsibility or pressure. I believe I'm right in saying that John Major's earnings increased with he left Government.

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:27 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could never buy a house in Bracknell for under £100,000. you might get a tent or a shed but not a house! We paid £110 K 7 years ago and now it has almost doubled in price and we live in an end terrace 3 beds. I dont know how people can afford to live on £14K with house prices like they are in the south. If you move north then houses are cheaper but so is cost of living in general and wages are also lower so its a no win situation really.

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live on a narrowboat. Buy one today for £31,500. Ask me how.

Better than renting and it's an investment.

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:30 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not an investment, cos it wont go up in value like a house, and it will cost to maintain and pay for things like costs to moor it somewhere

but probably one up from renting

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:21 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

House prices are insane here in London.

The house I was born in was bought for £6500 in 1970 at that point it was 3 times the annual salary of my father (building site labour at the time)

Now the house would cost £450000+ witch is more like 18 times the average salary.

Now I am paid well but would need a 100k+ pay rise to be in the same position as my father when he bought.

That’s what is wrong with the price of housing in this country it’s the link to earnings v cost it completely out of whack.

Sad thing is the only way to beet the system is to become part of the system as rents her in the London often cost more than the moorages on the property if you bought it yourself.

P.S. I think I will cry if some one else tells me there living in a house I could by with a credit card while desperately try to find a home I could afford in the town I was born in.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:36 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
The sentiment is very nice, but those politicians would simply find higher paid jobs in the private sector and we'd be left with a complete bunch of clueless morons in charge (all jokes aside about the current setup). As the saying goes, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys".

Trouble is that when you pay them a decent amount you still get the same monkeys. Not sure what the solution is, beyond sentencing people to become members of parliament for commiting fraud (at least we would know where we stood then).

colin1 wrote:
its not an investment, cos it wont go up in value like a house, and it will cost to maintain and pay for things like costs to moor it somewhere

Houses are not really an investment either. Sure they increase in value, but hardly like you can spend the money without becoming homeless.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well this has a double trap attached to it , in 2007 theres gonna be a council tax revaluation which happened in Wales last year , they delayed it in England for the local elections which they were still slammed at.

Which means you house going up in value x4 = your council tax going up by x4.

They said in Wales it would be revenue neutral it wasn't but they say the England one will be absolutely neutral , but if you believe that you'll believe anything.

imagine that paying 4K for council tax on my pissy income it'd be nigh 33%
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im slightly above the national wage at the moment, but Im having to wait until my gf gets a better paid job before we can move in together. Im also working my bollocks off to get on to the next wage increase, which ironically on paper is about a 7k rise but ends up being about the same, its a step towards my ideal grade though.

Im sick of home owners having a go for 'living at home'. Why dont you get your own place etc etc. Now let me see, you live in a 3 bed semi that you and your bird bought six years ago for 35K, its now worth 110K. Can you not see why its a bit more difficult when the grass isnt so green. A 110K mortgage would be about 600 quid a month, plus bills, plus council tax etc we are looking at 2/3's of my monthly wage gone before I shell out for petrol to get me to work and for food so I dont die. I would end up with very very little to look after myself with let alone paying for unpredictable events like repairs etc.

yet still the morons ask why I havent moved out. I will have to save up for the next hundred effing years. Why have house prices gone up so viciously? We dont make any more money, building materials etc havent gone up. Is it because people are willing to pay these prices that it all continues, do we keep pushing ourselves that one step further and accept that a shitty 1 bedroom flat is worth 100k nowadays. Its ridiculous to say the least.

feel better now Thumbs Up Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:52 - 28 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Houses are not really an investment either. Sure they increase in value, but hardly like you can spend the money without becoming homeless.

All the best

Keith

i disagree.

Houses are an excellent investment. House price crashes are rare. Any time you want to release equity in the house ( house being worth more than there is left to pay on it) you can remortgage. You can also move to a cheaper house to release funds. No need to become homeless. If you really need a lot of cash, you could even sell and rent another place.

You can also buy a second house using a buy to let mortgage and rent it out. Another example of how houses are an investment. I quite fancy doing this myself.

People doing this is probably a big reason as to why house prices are so high down south as loads of people do it down there.

Anyone who wants to get on the property ladder, just needs to move up north and get a cheap place. I wish I had got my own place years ago.

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 28 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry colin I have to disagree with you, the way the government cover up and waste so many funds I could imagine that they are pasting over some pretty bad shit and we are all gonna be looking at a financal downfall.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3