Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starting problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zodiac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Apr 2010    Post subject: Starting problem Reply with quote

The bike is a low mileage 2003 Sachs ZX125. It has a Yamaha DT125 engine. Starting is a pig. When it's cold or has been standing for 2 or 3 hours it won't start. The battery eventually runs flat and it needs a booster battery to help out. After a lot of turning over, about 2 minutes, usually with a lot of throttle feathering, it will start. When it's running it's great and ticks over fine.
The spark plug was changed and re-gapped and tested for sparking, carb is clean, air filter is good, fuel is good (no water). Any ideas?

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel cap air vent blockage, possibly. Maybe damage/wear to the throttle slide or needle, or incorrect float height.

Zodiac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 27cows

Thanks for your thoughts. Carb is fine in all respects. Already tried it with the fuel cap breather tube removed. No difference. I'm wondering if the spark delivery might be weak, i.e., coil or cable to plug. Plug sparks OK when its placed on the exhaust but compared to a car the sparks seem weak. Bought a new plug on Wednesday and at first thought it was a dud but the local Honda service guy where I bought the plug said it was fine. So maybe I'm dreaming up new problems.
Still at a loss though.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A failing coil normally lets the bike start OK, but then things feel weird when you're moving, particularly at low revs. An alternator failure usually is like a switch - works, then doesn't, at all. CDI box is a possibility. Might be a good idea to test everything with a multimeter. But most likely it'll be something simple, like HT lead corrosion or water in somewhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1