Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Petrol tank treatment

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Petrol tank treatment Reply with quote

Got a bit of rust inside a petrol tank, would very much like it to not get worse...

Any recommendations for an internal treatment/sealant/goop that actually might work and can cope with ethanol?

Ta muchly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:19 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR15. Full 3-part treatment which has a degreaser, etch and the paint itself. Scrupulously follow the instructions. Particularly with regard to totally and thoroughly drying it before putting the paint in.

Be warned, it does NOT come off stuff once it's set so don't spill and if you do, remove it before it dries. A mate did a trailer chassis with it then wanted to weld stuff on some years later. Couldn't get it off, not even with a wire brush in an angle grinder.

Don't be tempted to just use the paint without the pre-treatment.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed reviews on POR15, but that was 20+ years ago and it's highly likely they just tipped out the petrol and dumped the por in...

I do know someone that used a competing product - after a couple of months it looked like there was a screwed up carrier bag inside his tank where it had totally separated - that's the sort of thing I'd also quite like to avoid.

I may experiment with chemical rust removal first too - back in the days of 4* I would've left it at that but modern E* fuel is so hygroscopic it's almost certain to rust again quite quickly (especially as it's Chinese steel).

So, rust removal too - is evaporust really better than vinegar?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some remarkable results with deox-c.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 07 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've seen some remarkable results with deox-c.

Thumbs Up I shall investigate.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1