Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PC shows this blue message and nothing else....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 08:30 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: PC shows this blue message and nothing else.... Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 PC and its been pretty good up till now.

I like to download a fair amount of music on bittorrent and some tv/films.

Last night I left it downloading some flight of the conchords audio and some Reno 911 and went and stayed in my girlfriends room.

So this morning i go up to my room to find this message:
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/DSCF2526.jpg

I tried turning power off, unpluging external harddrive, and then trying it again, then in safe mode, with last configuration that worked and nothing same message.

Im real annoyed as this is the first day of uni and my PC is not really in the state i can use it!! I have a laptop but its on its way out.

Im going to call dell today after i get back to uni but i havnt changed the ownership over from when i brought it off instigator last year so may not be all that helpfull (i have network problems last week and they were really anal about it, though did help a bit).

Any ideas?

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Aptly named really, you can throw a dart blindfolded in terms of guessing the reasons why this has occured, possible sources range anywhere from bad device drivers, conflicting hardware to actual physical problems with hardware such as corrupt memory, overheated CPU etc etc.

Only way to narrow it down would be to determine what, if any, changes have taken place since you last used it to when it displayed the BSOD. Any use of torrents/ p2p I cant imagine will have helped tbh.

If you left it on overnight theres a good chance there might be overheating issues or maybe your RAM blew out.

About all I can help with at the mo im afraid.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to reinstall Windows from your original disks... if you have them! Wink
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a computer that's left on for long hours of the day like mine?

have you checked inside to check fans/heatsinks aren't blocked?

could the hard drive be getting bad sectors? do a scandisk or HDD Regenerator (f*cking awesome tool!)

is it overclocked? ram overheating?

if your on Vista then check the resource monitor out.

GAS
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:48 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it emit and sounds on start up as this can sometimes determine what is the possible cause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
You'll need to reinstall Windows from your original disks... if you have them! Wink

What a load of crap

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6093.mspx?mfr=true

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long shot, but if you have visual studio you can open the minidump and try and pinpoint the cause.

Do you have netlimiter installed, by the way?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Oh, sorry for posting my load of crap... course you'd be better off wasting hours going through all this stuff checking all your hardwear and then finally having to reinstall anyway since this solves the majority of these error messages !! Rolling Eyes
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A copy of Win ERD Commander would be helpful. This allows you to boot the system from a CD that'll get you into your OS, from which point you can run various commands, the System Restore Point probably being your best bet.

It's downloadable from the net as freeware, one here if you have access to a working PC with net connection:

https://www.fullandfree.info/software/erd-commander-2005/

I've used this to save many blue-screening PCs.

Last edited by Hetzer on 11:55 - 29 Sep 2008; edited 1 time in total

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
A copy of Win ERD Commander would be helpful. This allows you to boot the system from a CD that'll get you into your OS, from which point you can run various commands, the System Restore Point probably being your best bet.

It's downloadable from the net as freeware, one here if you have access to a working PC with net connection:

https://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=10071

I've used this to save many blue-screening PCs.

what's Windows NT and 2000? Laughing

does that work with XP and vista?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
Oh, sorry for posting my load of crap... course you'd be better off wasting hours going through all this stuff checking all your hardwear and then finally having to reinstall anyway since this solves the majority of these error messages !! Rolling Eyes

Ok, so what if it's a faulty graphics card or RAM? how is reinstalling an operating system going to fix that?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
beanfeast wrote:

Ok, so what if it's a faulty graphics card or RAM? how is reinstalling an operating system going to fix that?

It isn't. However this kind of error message is much more likely fixed by a rebuild than being down to a hardware fault. So rather than starting checks at the less likely places, start with the most likely fix - common sense...

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
beanfeast wrote:

because the magic juice trickles down the DVD drives IDE cable and spreads to the motherboard, therefore fixing it. Laughing

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
It isn't. However this kind of error message is much more likely fixed by a rebuild than being down to a hardware fault. So rather than starting checks at the less likely places, start with the most likely fix - common sense...

Sorry mate, you lost me at the term 'rebuild' Laughing

GAS
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:49 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing a rebuild/reinstall of windows will fix the issue in the short term more than likley but you still need to check other things or it could just re-occur eg whats the point in blowing the tyre up if you have a slow puncture, fix the issue first then rebuild
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 10:54 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that, my parents had the same problem on an identical PC, so is probably hardware related.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

short1uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is on the RAM.

C

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
Money is on the RAM.

C

There's your problem then, that'd cause a short Wink

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred a BS is down to software. In this case the most likely culprit is something he downloaded has fvcked a critical file in his OS, either by infecting it (virus) or corrupting it (bad code).

Quite often a System Restore (via the Restore Point app) will fix it, but that requires a means of getting to the System Restore. ERD will enable that.

If that fails an OS reinstall will most likely be required if the easiest route is desired. The HD can be taken out and attatched to another PC etc, but screw that unless there is seriously critical data that needs saving. You did make regular back-ups Andy, right? Neutral

short1uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
short1uk wrote:
Money is on the RAM.

C

There's your problem then, that'd cause a short Wink

PMSL

BSOD are pita! my machine does it when I RDC to it since I added the dual head GC.

C

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
PMSL

BSOD are pita! my machine does it when I RDC to it since I added the dual head GC.

C

nv4_disp problem?

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely to be RAM, either system or video card.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
Toby R wrote:

The trouble is if this is down to a hardware error then he may get as far as formatting the disk and maybe even halfway through an install before he sees another BSOD, then he is well set up for pain and long hours screaming "Why?!?!?!?".

Id go with Hetzers advice initially, failing that its time to go through hardware components one by one. RAM is a good place to start.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:49 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!!

Sorry to be vague this morning, i was just pissed off.

Im 90% that is one of the downloads but will check the fan aswell as suggested.

Will that software working on windows XP Hetz?

Also, my PC is standard on XP Home Media edition i think.

Hetzer wrote:
You did make regular back-ups Andy, right? Neutral

Actully yea i do. All my music is on my PC and my external harddrive (250BG) and all movies and TV on ex HD along with all my work. Only thing i think i lost was my CV i wrote this week but oh well, could have been a LOT worse.

Just annoying as first day at uni and i use the PC a lot.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it works on XP mate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2