Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pillion + Nutters = 700 Miles of hell

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

frogmella
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:17 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Pillion + Nutters = 700 Miles of hell Reply with quote

I've just spent the last few days touring Scotland (Fort Willaim, Loch Ness)with a coupla mates,
I failed my test again recently so I had the joy of being pillion.......

On the way up I was on the back of one mate who runs a CBR6, he has a coupla years riding experiance. I thought he was giving it the berries and mentioned it to him at a petrol station but he said he was just going easy, so I thought that since i'm learning to ride that it puts a new perspective on being pillion and maybe i'm more nervous than normal.

Anyway, we came into a corner at about 50mph and all of a sudden it tightened up and he hit the brakes which straightened the bike up at smacked us into the kerb, we both rolled off and slid with the bike on our legs down the road, when we stopped we we're both trapped but I managed to wriggle my skinny leg out and help my mate up. We we're both unhurt, he scraped his helmet but my brand new Alpinestars leathers seams burst on the legs, I was not a happy chappy, not what you want from £700 leathers. The bike was ok, fairings we're a bit fucked but other than that ridable. So we carried on.

I got on the back of the other lad on his ZX9, he has about 9yrs riding experiance, so is pretty adept. We then made our way up to Fort William. We had a ride round Loch Ness and Avimore and it was pretty good. The lad I was on the back of this time is a skilled rider but he kept on getting his knee down with me on the back, sometime on very narrow roads where he's have to pick the bike up midcorner because a car was coming the other way.
Anyway, I started to relax and trust his ablility. On the way home we came thru Jedburgh and the 'Corkscrew' bascially and ultralong tight sweeping lefthander thats covered in shellgrip. ZX9 boy gave it the berries and was scrapping his knee with me on the back, but it all went pete tong and we went ultrawide into the path
of an oncoming car (who missed us by inches, sorry mr car driver) we straighted up and went onto the grass verge on the other side of the road, thank fuck there was no kerb or we will of been going thru the air.

I must say, the roads and views up that neck of the woods we're out of this world and its well worth a ride up, just make sure you don't ride pillion with 2 nutters and get your weekend spoiled....

Long unitelligable rant over, I've just got back from being on the road for 9 hrs and my head is mashed. What should have been an enjoyable weekend was ruined, I'm in two minds as to weather i want to do my bike test this week and i want to sell my bike thats in the garage. MEH! Sad

Last edited by frogmella on 22:24 - 01 May 2006; edited 1 time in total

michael j
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell mate, your a jinx! Smile
Get your licence, then you can ride at your own pace.

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

motto of the story.... dont go pillion...... Shocked
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate being pillion at the best of times. If that happened to me i'd never get on the back of one again. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks mate, selfish fuckers. More incentive to get that test done, so you can be safe on your own bike and not at the mercy of loons Shocked

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds fooking nuts and the guys riding you were giving it the same amount as if you weren't pillon and hence not acounting for the extra wieght. seems a shame that a potentially great trip was fooked up.
hope you get your licence soon and can go at your own pace
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

frogmella
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:27 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a gibbering fucking wreck after this weekend. If it'd been on a track it'd be Thumbs Up Thumbs Up But it was a bit too much on the road.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bike and stop going pillion with d1ck heads. Karma Ride at your own pace and f*ck everyone else.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 22:45 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

brava210 wrote:
motto of the story....
flip wrote:
...stop going pillion with d1ck heads. Karma ...

Nuff said.

Sometimes experience breads complacency.
Just because someone's been riding a bike for x years it doesn't automatically mean they're any good, especially with a pillion on a sports bike (that, let's be honest, aren't really designed with long distance pillion passengers in mind).

As said get your test passed. Riding by yourself, where you're in control, is an experience I wish everyone could enjoy at least once in their lives Very Happy

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:51 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well those riders were utter twats! They should have asked if it was OK to do kneedowns with you on the back beforehand.

They were probably just trying to show off and many show offs end up having their comeuppance. Karma
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 23:13 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of 9 years experience was it?

9 years of summers is actually only 3 years of real world experience.

I've had my licence since May '02 but only have 18 months of experience.
(which upsets people with more experience when I pass them on the track Wink )

a

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pair of ars3holes if you ask me. Confused

sanchezz_182
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:23 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocks, fair play they enjoy putting ther life at risk but your life is not theirs to risk,,

i couldnt live with myself if i took somone on the back crashed coz i was being silly an killed them.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate being pillion with another male rider, as there is a certain amount of, "lets scare the hell out of him" that and i do not trust anyone with a bike apart from my dad, ive ridden pillion with him up until i could ride myself, in my eye hes a good rider, partly because he doesnt really bank it over round bends, since getting onto bigger bikes im really terrible at pillion riding, i had to stop myself sticking from my knee out and trying to move off the seat.

Dads a brit bike rider, says it all really.

Steve.

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:43 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed ^

Last week done a 84 mile round trip on the back of my mates Bandit 1200 - mostly A roads and the A1M - every possible chance to open it he did , rarely done under 80 mph - think top was about 120 ( by this point i was too scared to look over his shoulder anymore and just clung on - JUST )

Everytime he changed gear i would hurtle forward into him then be pulled back to the rear - good job he had the rack on the back or i honestly think i'd have been off .

It's not nice to put your life in someone elses hands , but we did have a giggle over it afterwards ( while my shaking hands tried desperatley to keep hold of my pint Laughing Laughing )

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

similarly to the above, the other day was on the back of a mates firestorm, with no frickin grab rail, everytime he came off throttle would twat my helmet into his and every burst of acceleration would have me pulling him off the back with me, fuggin nightmare Shocked

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sensible with pillions on (ask Jim Moodie as I gave him a lift from Ramsey to Douglas during practice at The IOM TT a couple of years back after his 250 seized Cool ) and a fookin loon without. Only 3 people I know will get on the back of me but thats not because of how i ride with a pillion its how i ride without.

I am a very competent rider and am well aware of my limits 1 or 2 up. I may ride fast but there is no way I would put myself or a pillion in any uneccessary danger. If I want to kill myself on a bike I'll do it on my own, you read too many stories of bikes crashing and the rider is ok but the pillion dies, I just dont want that on my concience thanks very much.

It's also not much of a concern for me these days as my bike is a single seater anyway. Thumbs Up

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:22 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`v only been riding since early August of last year, but in that time i`ve covered nigh on 16000 miles through winter and spring which is more than some people do in 5 years.

I have taken pillions, namely people i care about (friends and friends girlfriends) and when there is someone on the back of my bike i ride like i`m carrying China, if i choose to ride like a twat i`ll do it in my own time, its indefensible that they would ride that way with you on the back. . . wankshafts.

Don`t let this put you off riding a bike mate, take each ride at a time and enjoy at your own speed.

Knee down pillioning, fucking wankshafts.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't say your weekend was ruined, you've got a crackin story to tell Thumbs Up just a shame bout the leathers Sad

3000 miles on a thundercat and 1000 on a zxr and i still ride like a granny, will put my knee down when im good and ready hehe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:11 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my second pillion ride, having never ridden a bike before...

Ended up doing 160MPH on the M57 in rain and extreme wind.

I didn't think I was getting to my GF's alive.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say it - The roads around loch ness are amazing, can you blame them for wanting to go a wee bit quickly? You did after all fail your test (presume you were going to take your own bike).

They must have been a bit miffed taking a pillion...some people wouldn't let it stop them from having their fun I guess! Laughing

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 07:57 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you were pillion to a couple of immature idiots!!

I ride fast ... I ride fast with pillions ... but there's no need to get your knee down when you've a pillion on the back ... especially if your pillion hasn't given you the go ahead to go nuts.

As for kneedown on roads you don't know ... that's even worse!!

Sounds like typical nuggets on sports bikes if you ask me ... out to prove how fast they are ... and how friggin dangerous they are as well.

All the best ... Barry

frogmella
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the roads round Loch Ness are amazing, and they we're pretty wide open and sweepy, I really enjoyed that part of the ride. But we were on the limit too much, the fact that one crashed and the other very nearly did says that.

I enjoy being pillion and like it when the rider gives it some beans,but it was a bit too much at times.

On a different note, i think i'll have to ride on my own for a bit rather than get sucked into their games, i think i'd have binned it if i had gone up on my bike and tried to keep up.

Last edited by frogmella on 09:39 - 02 May 2006; edited 2 times in total

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else has said, they were totally unfair to you!

They spoiled what should have been a wonderful weekend, and they have made you doubt whether you want to ride a bike...

Take your test, ride your bike and go out riding with people who will be riding at a similar pace to yourself - or at least people who are willing to slow down for you and ride with you.

On your own bike, at your own speed you will feel far more comfortable and safe. Don't let them stop you riding!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would've been nice to take the missus out on the bike but I did'nt trust my own ability to control the bike fast round corners let alone with her and her baps on the back.

If you wanna go fast on your own then fair play, just dont do it with someone on the back, unless its the Grim Reaper Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2