Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR400 dodgy electrics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

octapusfoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:40 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: VFR400 dodgy electrics Reply with quote

Has anyone else had any problems with the NC21's electrics? My bike seems to eat rectifires for breakfast. I'm on my third one now, if I don't run my bike every 2 days the battery dies and over a short period of time the rectifire fries itself. I'm not sure if a permenantly flat battery puts too much strain on the charging circuit and the rectifire packs in or whether it could be the cdi? I've read loads on electrics, but I'm no mechanic and it goes over my head! I'm sick of pushing my bike home cos it's broken down....again.... Crying or Very sad

(thanks Marjay for your advice with this one Wink )

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:44 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your battery charged up, or get a new one if yours is screwed. The VFR400 range have a weak elecrical system, so induce any extra load or abnormal activity on yours by having a flat battery.

Also, get a couple of little PC fans and install them to blow cool air at your reg/rec, it helps.

octapusfoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:51 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..... the problems do arise if I don't use the bike all the time so perhaps I will get one of those optimate chargers and leave the battery on that when I'm not using it. (anyone got one of those, what are they like?)

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:04 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your Reg/Rec breaks down, have you tried bump starting the bike and running it without lights on? It worked on a friends' CBR, but that could've been a special case, I dunno, just a suggestion.

I've got an Optimate, and I used it on my RVF, but none of my other bikes since. But I did need to use it on the RVF because it sometimes had trouble starting on the button. Useful piece of kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:47 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As Robby mentioned a fan will help. It might also be worthwhile relocating the regulator / rectifier unit to somewhere with a bit more airflow, or maybe trying to stick some form of heat sink to it.

All the best

Keith

octapusfoot
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:50 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN, at it's worst, if the bike is running and I put the indicators on, everytime the light flashes the bike almost stalls. If I put the lights on then the engine cuts out!!
I don't let it get this bad now as once the battery stops charging this is usually a sign of things becoming a lot worse.
I think I will buy one of those Optimates though as I have gotten used to removing the battery now every time I park the bike up!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Also worth checking what headlight bulbs you have in there. Non standard bulbs, heated grips, etc could all put extra loads on the charging system.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1