Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cant get sliding pin out of rear calliper on benelli bn125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:18 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: cant get sliding pin out of rear calliper on benelli bn125 Reply with quote

ive tried to do this because the brakes are binding slightly and i think it is the pin. i was advised this by my mot mechanic. do these things come out? or are the permanently heat sealed in there? ive tried mole grips and a spanner to try and turn out the pin. also i have tried pulling the thing apart. i also tried oiling it inside the rubber boot. no joy...

the calliper on the benelli bn 125 is a bit odd compared to other bike callipers, i think..

and yeah the pin doesnt move

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say pics because having had a look there appears to be a couple of versions - although none of the ones I've found look anything unusual...

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
I say pics because having had a look there appears to be a couple of versions - although none of the ones I've found look anything unusual...

mine is a 2019 model

unfortunately i dont have a picture of one dismantled

Last edited by 777 on 17:02 - 13 May 2024; edited 1 time in total

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's just a single sided caliper, nothing odd about that.

It's supposed to slide on the pin/bolt because that's how it centres, and the pin should come out by hand (just) if it's functioning correctly.

If it's that stuck, then it'll likely take a combination of penetrating oil, heat and excessive force to remove it, and even after all that there us the possibility that the caliper is scrap. I'd wager the pin is definitely ruined by the corrosion already.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:03 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
Yeah, that's just a single sided caliper, nothing odd about that.

It's supposed to slide on the pin/bolt because that's how it centres, and the pin should come out by hand (just) if it's functioning correctly.

If it's that stuck, then it'll likely take a combination of penetrating oil, heat and excessive force to remove it, and even after all that there us the possibility that the caliper is scrap. I'd wager the pin is definitely ruined by the corrosion already.

this is not my calliper its just a picture i got off google. mine is in much better shape

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awfy like it's been 'over greased' as they say in maintenance circles.

When was the last time you remembered there was a rear brake?

If you neglect it some more it will maybe drop off.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

777 wrote:

this is not my calliper its just a picture i got off google. mine is in much better shape

Better shape externally maybe.

Internally? Your slide pin is rusted/seized in place though, so your floating caliper no longer floats...

It's possible to polish a turd if you dry it out - so while it's shiny on the outside it's still shit in the middle Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the pin on the left hand side of your first picture, it looks like it takes an allen key to undo.

Generally in one piece calipers the pin either screws in, or presses in and is retained with a clip.

You can always buy a new one to get an idea of how it fits, then cut out the old one. Sometimes they seize in place, cutting out the middle section makes it easier to remove the bits.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:59 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If it's the pin on the left hand side of your first picture, it looks like it takes an allen key to undo.

Generally in one piece calipers the pin either screws in, or presses in and is retained with a clip.

You can always buy a new one to get an idea of how it fits, then cut out the old one. Sometimes they seize in place, cutting out the middle section makes it easier to remove the bits.

yeah ive managed to undo this one, its just a kind of nut.

also those pins dont seem to be available to buy anywhere

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

777 wrote:
Robby wrote:

yeah ive managed to undo this one, its just a kind of nut.

also those pins dont seem to be available to buy anywhere

You need to look for a new or used calliper assembly.

They are probably not considered consumables as manufacturing them use the most economic method and materials.

Ebay-Ing at £30.

Stop facking about.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pins will be available, but you probably need to get creative in looking for parts.

It's a basic caliper, used on loads of bikes, probably a nissin or tokico one. You just need to find another make/model with the same caliper and proper spares support to buy the part.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 15 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly it looks like they’re sold out but I think it might be an Allen head M10 x 28mm.

If you’ve managed to remove it, get a bolt measuring tool

(eg. https://www.pro-bolt.com/pro-gauge-bolt-measuring-tool-progauge/?srsltid=AfmBOor1lko7c0bicJUC3g3Jlxcy7u4BIVuJD4Ff9GeQOxYRPC5LqXdyxxc)

and then search for the right diameter, pitch and length on
https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/
or a similar supplier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 04:14 - 19 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a threaded pin, use an allen key. If that doesn't work try heat. If that doesn't work take the caliper off and use heat and an impact driver.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1