National Debt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: National Debt Reply with quote

Hi

What impact will national debt have in the future.

For example UK national debt is around £480B (very roughly US$12000 for every person in the UK) and US national debt is around US$8,000B (very roughly US$27000 for every person in the USA).

All the best

Keith

Last edited by Kickstart on 16:22 - 03 Feb 2006; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:16 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do we actually owe the national debt too?

Is it a load of other countries?

Or a large none counrty organisation , like the world bank or something.

surely its a thing that "just is" you never pay it back, you just make sure it does not grow excessivly quickly. Loaners getting paid the interest wont be toop fussed with that.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:29 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're right Siggi. Although, it's not just personal borrowing, I think it includes all the corporate loans etc. too.

I can't see what useful meaning you can take from it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:32 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Isn't it the debt consumers owe to credit cards and banks etc, not the debt our govt owes on state borrowing? God help us if our govt owes 480 billion quid. Shocked

Nope, it is how much our government owes. From one of the links above "At the end of 2004/05 general government debt was £480.3 billion, equivalent to 40.8 per cent of GDP. It remains substantially within the reference value for excessive debt.
"

All the best

Keith

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:34 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong then.

Oh well. Guess it's a good excuse for a tax hike then! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:43 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

like any debt, people in the future will either decide to pay it off or increase the debt.

i think we have the debt because the economy didnt do as well as expected, and spending wasnt reduced when it was realised that the economy wasnt gonna do so well.

If we had the Euro I think there would be pressure to reduce our debt from other member countries, but as we dont have the euro there isnt pressure from that angle.

Debt isnt necessarily a bad thing if you can keep up the payments and it doesnt get out of control.

I dont think debt will increase a lot more with Brown as Prime Minister and he might reduce it, but I am guessing.

I think Cameron wd increase it as he seems to have big ill-thought out ideas which will cost to implement, but Im guessing again.

If we get broke, we can always shake down a few countries for their oil reserves and get British companies in to get the oil and do the reconstruction.

We need another lot of North Sea Oil to be found. As Britain had a few problems in its finances before that was found. Problems went away with the big cash injection.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't really matter about national debt. i was told less than half the worlds currency is actualy money (could be less, i can't remember exactly). So all these big companys eg. microsoft,apple also banks and credit card companys who have all this crazy amount of capital behind them don't really have it . if a huge company decided to sell up tomorrow and cash in on there 100+ billions, certainly would screw a few things over
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1