Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fitness - What causes a stitch?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Fitness - What causes a stitch? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've started jogging, and usually I can run OK throughout the whole run without stopping. Some days though, I get a stitch, but can sometimes then go quickly.

What causes this, would it be down to not warming up properly, not strecthing that part enough etc, or something else completely.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 18:09 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my studies in Sport Science, we were taught that a stich is caused when internal organs jiggle about insude. It's more often caused when there's still food in the stomach, meaning it bangs about more than often, causing the pain.

if you do eat before exercising, make sure there's a long enough time period before you start to minimise it.

a stitch should'nt cause injury, and if you can work thru it then cool.

a

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor breathing.

Not getting enough oxygen in your body Smile

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 18:11 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, stitch is felt in the right upper abdomen, but may also occur on the left hand side, or may irradiate to upper or lower regions of the body. "Classic" stitch is more likely to occur to insufficiently trained people than well prepared athletes.

The reason for stitch is pretty simple. The inner organs are hanging from several ligaments, which, in turn, are fixed to the diaphragm, the muscular "plate" between chest and abdomen. Liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine and colon form a weight of several kilograms, hanging from the diaphragm. The impact of every step forces the inner organs to move downwards. Additionally, the diaphragm moves upwards on every expiration to force air out of the lungs. This continuous up/down stress may cause a cramp in the diaphragm: stitch. Stitch occurs most often on the right hand side because of the liver being the most heavy organ, and therefore the one stressing the diaphragm the most.

Should you suffer from stitch, the first (and best) cure is to slow down or stop until the stitch is gone. If you do not want to stop, you can try to press your hand onto the part of your abdomen where the stitch is, and release the pressure on expiration. Repeat this several times.

- Slow your pace slightly
- Grasp your side where you feel the stitch just under the bottom rib and half way across between the side and the belly button. Thumb to the rear and fingers to the front
- Squeeze firmly and bend at the waist (45-90 degrees) while still running
- After about 15 metres slowing straighten
- The stitch should have gone

An advanced method requires some thoughts about the reason why stitches occur. You should try to synchronise your breathing pattern with your running, and exhale when the foot on the not hurting side touches the ground, i.e. when you have stitch in your right hand side, try to exhale when your left foot touches the ground. You do not need to worry about inspiration - if your expiration is right, your inspiration will be, too. If you manage to keep this breathing pattern, your diaphragm moves downward at the same time as your intestines, thus decreasing the stress.

Strengthen your abdominal muscles, keep your upper body warm, do not run too soon after meals and learn "abdominal breathing".

WR (Knew college PE would come in handy)

Last edited by WR450_geezer on 18:13 - 08 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my basket ball couch back in the day at school used to say it was fizzy drink

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:14 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help people.

I run about 6 o clock in the morning, so I don't have anything to eat before hand. The stitch is almost on my left side of the stomach though. I do find slowing down for a bit does usually stop it, but I don't want to loose time, so would rather try to figure out what is causing it so I can stop it happening Smile

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say for definite that exercise causes a stitch. Avoid at all costs. Laughing

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the cold. Try wearing a sports vest under your top or go running later on when its a bit warmer.

WR

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:28 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
Possibly the cold. Try wearing a sports vest under your top or go running later on when its a bit warmer.

WR

I would run later but then people can see how bad I am Crying or Very sad Wink

Thanks for the help WR, I will try that right foot/breathe out method if I get it again Thumbs Up

Kurt

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 18:31 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason why I run in morning or night. Very Happy

Give me a shout if you need any more help about fitness etc, I'm sure I can dig up some more coursework on pretty much every aspect of fitness.

WR Thumbs Up

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:38 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK heres a question. Why does my back hurt in the morning ? i can run in the evenings no problem, but its a definate no no in the mornings. Neutral

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a new bed.

WR Thumbs Up

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
OK heres a question. Why does my back hurt in the morning ? i can run in the evenings no problem, but its a definate no no in the mornings. Neutral

Maybe its how you sleep, or what you do at night Wink

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was becuase your stomach contratcs during exercise and when there is too much food in there it contracts around it and causes the pain

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Strengthen your abdominal muscles, keep your upper body warm, do not run too soon after meals and learn "abdominal breathing".

Can you explain what you mean by abdominal breathing?

On a more different note, I find whilst running a stitch or cramps can occur by not being relaxed enough. Tension whilst running is a no no!

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

By breathing deeply and rhythmically you convey a sense of calm and of being in control. Many people do not breathe deeply using their diaphragm; they use shallow or chest breathing.

This deep breathing is known as "diaphragmatic" or "abdominal" breathing .. When we breathe this way, we are using our bodies as nature intended. When we use "shallow" or "chest" breathing, we create stress and anxiety. This breathing pattern deprives the whole system of oxygen.

The diaphragm is the main muscle for breathing and is located between the chest and the abdomen. The diaphragm moves down as you breathe in, making the space available (volume) inside the chest larger so that air can flow into the lungs. When you breathe out the diaphragm moves upward and reduces the chest size so that the air is pushed out of the lungs.

WR

Thumbs Up

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
The reason for stitch is pretty simple. The inner organs are hanging from several ligaments, which, in turn, are fixed to the diaphragm, the muscular "plate" between chest and abdomen. Liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine and colon form a weight of several kilograms, hanging from the diaphragm. The impact of every step forces the inner organs to move downwards. Additionally, the diaphragm moves upwards on every expiration to force air out of the lungs. This continuous up/down stress may cause a cramp in the diaphragm: stitch. Stitch occurs most often on the right hand side because of the liver being the most heavy organ, and therefore the one stressing the diaphragm the most.

You found that with Google didn't you. Very Happy

If you look hard enough you'll also find this:

Quote:
Until recently it was believed that stitch pain was caused by a lack of blood to the diaphragm or it was due to stress on the ligaments that attach the adominal organs to the under-side of the diaphragm. The theory suggested the ligaments were stressed during jolting activities such as running. However, it was found that some people experience stitch low in the abdomen, some distance from the diaphragm(2). Furthermore, many swimmers experience stitch, a sport not characterised by jolting actions.

So basically, nobody's 100% sure (although I'd go along with the first explaination). And more importantly, nobody's really that bothered - the important things are that:

1) it doesn't cause any lasting damage
2) pausing the excercise seems to make it go away

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
I can say for definite that exercise causes a stitch. Avoid at all costs. Laughing

Agreed Thumbs Up

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the build up of lactic acid a lack of oxygen!!!

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooly R6 wrote:
the build up of lactic acid a lack of oxygen!!!

thats what i heard too

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it during GCSE P.E about 8 years ago
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1